2000w External PSU by OCZ

HOCP4ME

2[H]4U
http://www.legitreviews.com/article/441/3/

I couldn't find any other topics on this.

OCZ showed their 2000w external PSU at CES. Everyone was worried about the Ultra 2000w since one house circuit cannot carry that much wattage? OCZ solves the problem by giving their PSU two AC inputs! Just make sure they are both plugged into different circuits...

...that's not really fixing the problem, of course...

I know I personally would not install a new breaker or anything like that specifically for a computer PSU.

AFAIK it is just 2 1kw units in an external enclosure unlike the now 1600w Ultra PSU. The UL wouldn't certify a 2000w unit but they certify YoungYear/Apevia products :rolleyes:

...that's not really fixing the problem, of course...

I know I personally would not install a new breaker or anything like that specifically for a computer PSU.

And you should never have to. If hardware becomes so inefficient that it actually needs these 1500w+ power supplies, I will stop buying it (for a while, anyway...).

the only thing i can think off that u would need this psu is if u have 100 hdds 4 8800gtxs or sumthing stupid like that and i no one has that so y would they bother making a 2000watt psu

the 2K PSUs are prototypes, more for press coverage and bragging rights than for actual use.

That's waayyy too much power to dedicate to just one PC....:eek: You could easily run 3 or 4 solid rigs for that kind of power.

...OCZ solves the problem by giving their PSU two AC inputs! Just make sure they are both plugged into different circuits...

AFAIK it is just 2 1kw units in an external enclosure....

Two 900W units is what I heard. How that equals 1000W??? I dunno... maybe because it's "external" it runs cooler. Sort of like how MGE relabeled the SevenTeam 500W external a "600W" power supply.

Actually at Computex 2007 OCZ admitted that the PSU that Legit Reviews covered from CES was no longer being produced. It was found that PSU's over 1500W won't be UL approved in the US and no one was going to buy one anyway.

Actually at Computex 2007 OCZ admitted that the PSU that Legit Reviews covered from CES was no longer being produced. It was found that PSU's over 1500W won't be UL approved in the US and no one was going to buy one anyway.

The good news is, that puts some sort of barrier on the amount of power graphics cards and multi-CPU systems can use.

The bad news is, that is still a very high barrier. :(

Dan_D called it, 2kw PSU's here we come!

but yeah... I would say it's bragging rights. Although I don't know why you would want to brag about having 1kw go to waste on your new PSU because you'll never use it... you're going to have to buy a LOT of HDD's, DVDRW's, Cold Cathodes, blinking lights, laser lights, and probably plug your fridge into it too.

I bet someone enterprising could figure out how to charge their Prius with one...The garage computer, finally a real use.

Back