2005FPW backlight bleed fix.

Sorry to bump an old thread, but does this work for all monitors? I'm itching to try it on a G2400WD.

Sorry to bump an old thread, but does this work for all monitors? I'm itching to try it on a G2400WD.

If there is a gap between the bezel and the panel where light could leak between, it should work. Only way to check whether it's there is to open the display, I'm afraid :)

If there is a gap between the bezel and the panel where light could leak between, it should work. Only way to check whether it's there is to open the display, I'm afraid :)

Any precautions to take before opening it up? I don't want to get shocked.;)

Any precautions to take before opening it up? I don't want to get shocked.;)

AFAIK there aren't any components inside an LCD which remain charged after taking off the mains aside from some capacitors, of course, but getting shocked by those is merely annoying (and amusing for your environment :p ).

Just take your time and use a disassembly guide if you can find one (or one for a similar monitor).

So I'm taking apart the LCD now. Damn, this is a lot harder than I thought it would be! One thing I see is that there's loads of some kind of sticky aluminum foil on the steel apparatus protecting the circuit boards, is it safe to take that off?

Where exactly? Could you take pictures of it?

Where exactly? Could you take pictures of it?

It looked like this:
mon3.jpg
, except with duct tape. I already took it off anyway.:D I couldn't get the steel panel off because of some wires in a very hard-to-get-to place. I tried pliers but almost snapped one wire off, so I decided to forget. But I'll try it again and this time try to take the frame around the LCD itself without taking the circuit boards off.

Yeah, just peel it off. It will stick right back on. The wires you are probably talking about, are the controller connection, you have to squeeze the metal tabs on the outside then pull it toward you.

This confirms a suspicion that I have.. The bleed issue is not from light shining though the panel, but past it.. The light sources are located around the edge, and should only shine into the light spreading panels/sheets behind the actual LCD display. The tape keeps stray light from shining around the edge of the panel, onto it's front surface.

I'll have to try this one day on my 55" LED-"backlit" TV..

I have done real fix to corner backlight bleeding. I dissasembled my 32 LCD TV many times and noticed that any pressure because of the too strong tightening the screws of the LCD screen, casuses backlight bleeding around. So I loosened all the bezel screws and backlight bleeding is gone. ( If this does not help, you can loosen the screws of the LCD matrix itself too). It even shows that the place where the screw presses on the screen is black.

Before that my panel had very huge bleeding in every corner. Now it have 100% uniform illumination. This is a simple, safe and effective method.

I know the monitor bezels has not any screws, but from my observation the problem is becouse pressure on LCD panel, not backlight bleeding between the matrix and the backlight.

Back