2005fpw... widescreen bad for games?

my friends been telling e that widescreen monitors suck for games cause most games are full screen so they shrink when you use widescreen. is there any truth to this? if so, is it really noticeable? i wanna get a widescreen for movies, but i dont want to screw myself over with games..

HL2_1280x800.jpg

for games that can run on widescreen like half life 2 and guildwars its great, if u play cs / cs source u have somewhat of an advantage over people without widescreens since u can see a bit more on the sides, but on other games like battlefield 2 the sides are either cut off or the whole screen is stretched, depending on how u set it, so thats a bit distracting

but personally id go for widescreen just incase future games start to make widescreen standard, cuz then if u still have the normal 4:3 screen ull be at a disadvantage if u play multiplayer games :p

In quite a few games that don't natively support widescreen resolutions, you can edit .ini's and whatnot to change the field of view / resolution to one that works nicely on a widescreen monitor. When I game on my 2005FPW in proper widescreen, though, . . . mm . . . :p . I'm happy I bought it.

Check out the Widescreen Gaming Forums.

Widescreen = much gooder! :)

I recently bought a Dell 2005FPW ( didn't have the $$ for it's big brother :( ) and I do some moderate gaming. I didn't even think about how games would look when I bought it, I just saw '20" widescreen, better than an apple 20" cinema display, for under $400" and I couldn't resist. I have been pleasantly surprised with it. I've played HL2, F.E.A.R. demo, DOD, Guildwars, and other games on it. The widescreen is great for games that support it, and if they don't most of them just give you sort of a sideways letterbox, where the left and right side of your screen will be black, but not cut off. If you want to watch movies and TV shows on it, you can't go wrong with widescreen, and if you game, it doesn't hurt to have a little exta sideview for them FPS's :)

I run WoW, SWG, BF2, UT2k4, and HL2/CS:S in widescreen on my 2005fpw, and let me tell you, i wouldn't give it up for anything :)

Your friends are idiots and obviously don't know what they're talking about.

They're resisting change. Be the catalyst, change their point of view entirely.

In other words, it's awesome and there is no reason why today's games cannot support widescreen resolutions. Older games may or may not have hacks available for widescreen, so check out the WGF. Some games that are run by emulators even work widescreen, some are buggy, and some simply don't display the side information, but that is not the monitor's problem.

trinkus79 said:
Widescreen = much gooder! :)

I recently bought a Dell 2005FPW ( didn't have the $$ for it's big brother :( ) and I do some moderate gaming. I didn't even think about how games would look when I bought it, I just saw '20" widescreen, better than an apple 20" cinema display, for under $400" and I couldn't resist. I have been pleasantly surprised with it. I've played HL2, F.E.A.R. demo, DOD, Guildwars, and other games on it. The widescreen is great for games that support it, and if they don't most of them just give you sort of a sideways letterbox, where the left and right side of your screen will be black, but not cut off. If you want to watch movies and TV shows on it, you can't go wrong with widescreen, and if you game, it doesn't hurt to have a little exta sideview for them FPS's :)

ok..stop right there... a 2005fpw... for UNDER $400? REVEEL YOOR SEEKRETS!

You just have too keep an eye on Dell.... I waited and waited, and I was able to drop it down to $464 shipped, with %off and other coupons..then like 2 weeks AFTER I bought mine,.....they had better deals and people were getting them for $380. You basically just have to play the waiting game, or I've heard people going throught the small business side, and 'negotiating' their way down that low, and down to low/mid $500 for the 2405FPW...

it's all in your timing :)

Everfalling said:

My roomate bought his 2005fpw for $380 something just 2 weeks after I bought mine for $464

Everfalling said:

$359 shipped. (No tax in Maryland) I just happened to buy it when the Dell coupons stacked up really well. Keep an eye on the hot deals forums or some other deals site like slickdeals or fatwallet. Bought the monitor at 9 am. By noon the deal was dead.

hm im probably one of the last to find out about this but i guess u could play battlefield 2 on widescreen (just incase) change ur shortcut to "C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2\BF2.exe" +menu 1 +fullscreen 1 +szx 1680 +szy 1050" or "C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2\BF2.exe" +menu 1 +fullscreen 1 +szx 1920 +szy 1200"

Back