2007wfp owners! Flicker?

Shortass

Weaksauce
I bought one of these before any revisions and sent it back for the banding issues which have now been all but fixed. As much as I want to gamble with the lottery again, I can't pay the money down because there was a second problem I had which was the horrible flickering it had when displaying most grays and a few other colors.

Has revision A02 or A03 fixed this problem? Some websites looked horrible and I'd rather not get woozy because still images want to become videos :(

http://rizon-dnb.cjb.hu/news.php

That site's background/borders, for instance, would be flickering pretty badly. Still happening, or has there been a fix?

Apparently it wasn't fixed. I have a revision A03 S-IPS panel made in December and it has horrible flickering of the background on that site you posted.

If I move the site up and down quickly I see some flickering off to the sides. Looking still and straight on I see nothing wrong. I am on NEC and not 2007. You sure this isn't just optical effects, bad web design etc? That seems like an awful background. I could see where so many small dots being moved rapidly could leave an illusion of lines de junk.

i'm on a benq and if i just focus on the gray background i can see a very slight flicker, but its not horrible and the website is still very readable

If I move the site up and down quickly I see some flickering off to the sides. Looking still and straight on I see nothing wrong. I am on NEC and not 2007. You sure this isn't just optical effects, bad web design etc? That seems like an awful background.

Not sure really. I checked on my CRT and it doesn't flicker at all, and I don't mean when you scroll up or down. Just sitting there it flickers like crazy on the 2007WFP. Worse than a CRT with a 60 Hz refresh rate.

This appears to be a problem not with S-IPS then but the hardware in the 2007wfp, which is sort of what I figured. ChrisM, love or hate him, is "looking into it" tomorrow (or so he posts in the Dell forums). We'll see what response he gives.

Well that would be different if it happens when still. But - an LCD with show more definition and that's one reason some low quality video will look bad on LCD when its OK on CRT. If your problem is unique to this site I would not be too worried because its odd site in ways. The "banding" thing with Dell was more about the DVI connector and some viewing modes than the panel itself if I remember correctly (the active calibration dooboob was working in Desktop mode when it wasn't suppossed to etc)

Well that would be different if it happens when still. But - and LCD with show more definition and that's one reason some low quality video will look bad on LCD when its OK on CRT. If your problem is unique to this site I would be too worried because its odd site in ways.

The flicker, at least when I had the monitor, happened very often unfortunately. Not just with strange backgrounds like that but in all gray backgrounds, solid or otherwise. It was pretty intense looking and while sure, it's avoidable, it's there a lot more than it should be for such a quality panel that it has.

Its not unique to that site. About anything with a solid grey background does it (other colors too, but grey seems to suffer the most).

I don't have this monitor, but flicker can happen when the inversion pattern clashes with certain backgrounds. That's not a fault, but it shouldn't happen on solid colors.

See the "Inversion" section of this page: http://www.techmind.org/lcd/

Only happend on the S-IPS panel ?

Does 2007 still a good choice ? Im searching for a good 20" wide monitor for gamers in a range of 350~450 dolars.
What choice i have ?

The situation sucks because unless you can spend ~$550 on the NEC monitor, this is the best option. Even with the flicker I'm almost willing to buy it just because of the quality in other areas. I just wish it would be fixed and priced a little higher cause I'd certainly be willing to pay.

The problem is not exact the money. But i live im Brazil, and a friend will buy for me in NY.
And if the value ir higher then 500, i need to pay a lot of tax in Brazil.

Or i buy this Dell, or i try a Benq 24" and will pay a lot more, but, still much less expansive them in Brazil (the 2007wpf is 850 dolars here, sux !).

PS: Sorry about the offtopic.

You probably couldn't easily ship the monitor back and fourth with Dell until you get the perfect monitor you want, so in your situation I would probably deal with a slightly cheaper monitor that's a little more consistent in quality (I would rather work on a Viewsonic with a TN panel than a Dell with a S-PVA, especially since I'd save about $100 doing so.)

When I wiew that site my monitor doesn't have any problems except when scrolling up and down. I have the 2007wfp RT-803 rev a03 s-ips. When scrolling the flicker is there but not very bad (not enough to iritate me anyhow).

I wouldn't worry about this if your thinking about a 2007wfp, as the warranty with Dell allows plenty of time (21 days) to test the new monitor (same for refurbs as in my case). If you aren't happy with it, RMA it and try again all on Dell's dime for shipping.

Good luck.

Interesting Cruz, have you altered the display settings at all? What's your brightness and contrast at? If this is fixable with a little tinkering this is very good news indeed :)

In waiting for a response from Cruz on his apparent lack of the issue, has anyone with the monitor modified their display settings at all? Are there ways to minimize the flickering?

Yes, but you are really just shifting the problem. For example, I can lower or raise the brightness to reduce flickering, but that also screws up the colors. The only reason that works is because you are changing the color so much it no longer falls within the range of colors that flicker.

A quote from Chris over at the dell forums on the topic.

All,

If you are using VGA, does using Auto Adjust fix the flicker? The pattern on the webpage is a 1 on 1 off pattern which is notorious for generating flicker.

Someone should try it out! :D

No flicker here on that website on either of my monitors, NEC 20WMGX2 LCD & FW900 CRT.

Sorry about the wait, as for my settings they are as follows:
Using DVI input therefore no adjustment for contrast
Brightness set to 50
Image mode set to Desktop (only way to get rid of banding issues)
Color settings set to Pc with Pc normal
If there are other settings I haven't listed that you need, just let me know.

Greetings, same issue. Rev. A03, December, Made in CZ.

:) First of all, people who have COLOR vibration problems, try to put the 2007WFP into the secondary DVI port. For me it worked (GeForce 7600GT). Here are some testpics i've made to see the flicker:
http://fluid.pardey.org/dell/colors1.jpg
http://fluid.pardey.org/dell/colors2.jpg
http://fluid.pardey.org/dell/colors3.jpg

;) I've had some pixel blurriness too, that is away with swapping DVI port too. Here's a testpic for that:
http://fluid.pardey.org/dell/rgb_sharpness.jpg

:cool: Some pics for testing banding:
http://fluid.pardey.org/dell/banding.jpg
http://fluid.pardey.org/dell/banding_gradient.jpg

:mad: The main problem: large gray and white areas still flickering. I have tested here two types of Samsung displays, none of them do this vibration.

I've tried to use VGA, Auto adjust, with and without drivers, adobe gamma, many settings of brightness, custom colors, but no solution. The DVI port swapping solved the color vibration problem only. Any idea? :confused:

It does flicker - but only on left edge of screen. strange?

However, that kind of 1x1 pixel raster is usually rather difficult for LCD`s. But does not exist on my older Eizo or laptop.

Here is same test image, but on bigger size; just to test flickering full screen:

http://img224.imageshack.us/my.php?image=flickering4uj.gif

I recommend testing your display using old, but still very usable, Nokia Monitor Test (back from times when Nokia made also monitors not just crap mobile-phones)

http://www.construnet.hu/nokia/Monitors/TEST/monitor_test.html

Here is a video of my 2007WFP (S-IPS A03 Made in Czech Republic) with pretty bad flickering all over the screen in a grey background. Notice the contrast with the same image on my old LG L1715S LCD:

http://www.canariastelecom.com/personales/franciscogh/

I have tried DVI, VGA and diferrent settings without success. I'm going to RMA this on Monday... it's like having a CRT with low refresh rate set.

Here is a video of my 2007WFP (S-IPS A03 Made in Czech Republic) with pretty bad flickering all over the screen in a grey background. Notice the contrast with the same image on my old LG L1715S LCD:

http://www.canariastelecom.com/personales/franciscogh/

I have tried DVI, VGA and diferrent settings without success. I'm going to RMA this on Monday... it's like having a CRT with low refresh rate set.

I did return my 2007wfp for the same reason :(

Can some 2407WFP owner test the same pattern?

That monitor is clearly defective, and i sincerely doubt everyone wouldn't have noticed it if flickering like that appeared on every monitor.

Czech republic, again?Hmm...

Yes, that's what I thought, I mean... this is massive flickering. Considering how picky are people around here about this stuff, there would be a lot more complaints about this if it was a common issue.

If by the second RMA they keep sending me a defective 2007WFP (the flickering ones all now seem to come from the Czech Republic) I'm going to switch to a Samsung 205BW.

I live in Spain and the 2007WFP costs 403€ ($510) vs. the 205BW which costs 307€ ($388).

If by the second RMA they keep sending me a defective 2007WFP (the flickering ones all now seem to come from the Czech Republic) I'm going to switch to a Samsung 205BW.
Yes, there seems to be a problem with many, if not all, monitors made in Czech Republic.

Could someone with a monitor not made in Czech Republic report whether or not there's a flickering problem?

I have just called Dell to RMA my 2007WFP. They say it will be picked up and exchanged in 1 or 2 weeks. Once it arrives I will check throughly for any signs of flickering and report back here. They have also told me that I have 7 days to try it out and I can return it for a full refund if I'm not satisfied. I really hope this is an isolated case because I really like this monitor. If it's not, we would be facing a batch of defective monitors straight from the good ol' Czech Repulic :p.

Don't notice any flicker on my 2007...but I do remember getting some contrast shifting when I experimented with the "multimedia" and "gaming" image settings. I find that calibrating and using the "desktop" setting for all applications works best for me.

I have just called Dell to RMA my 2007WFP. They say it will be picked up and exchanged in 1 or 2 weeks. Once it arrives I will check throughly for any signs of flickering and report back here. They have also told me that I have 7 days to try it out and I can return it for a full refund if I'm not satisfied. I really hope this is an isolated case because I really like this monitor. If it's not, we would be facing a batch of defective monitors straight from the good ol' Czech Repulic :p.
xDREAM posted on another thread that he connected his monitor to another computer using DVI and the flickering is gone.His monitor was made in CZ too.

I don't know what's going on here, but i stopped worrying really.Most people agree this is a great monitor and a lot of them didn't notice any flickering at all whatsoever.When i finally get it i'll try to enjoy my new monitor rather than worry about flickering.If i notice flickering and find it annoying, i'll simply send it back.:)

Yeah, I don't want people to start worrying about this. Just keep buying 2007WFPs and have fun. These are great monitors, mine has 0% backlight bleeding and, in desktop mode, there's no colour banding at all... it has only 1 red pixel... but the flickering problem is pretty horrible, so I hope I will get a new shiny fully working unit soon!

Yeah, I don't want people to start worrying about this. Just keep buying 2007WFPs and have fun. This are great monitors, mine has 0% backlight bleeding and in desktop mode theres no colour banding at all... it has only 1 red pixel... but the flickering problem is pretty horrible, so I hope I will get a new shiny fully working unit soon!
Ok, if flickering was annoying then it should go back.It's not on every monitor though, otherwise there would be a lot more complaints about this.

I hope you are lucky this time:)

And DELL needs better quality assurance.But i've seen complaints about other monitors from different manufacturers too.Some people report "buzzying" on the NEC monitor(can't remember the exact monitor code, but it's the one everyone's talking about) on another forum.If you are one of the largest hardware companies like DELL with hundreds of units sold every day, then complaints are inevitable.

I did test my 2007WFP A03 dec/06 (Chech) with six (6) different DVI-D cables, multiple powercables, filtered and non-filtered power (thru online UPS) and with three different computers. VGA was not tested because VGA is history :)

Flickering was same with each combination. Too bad, otherwise my unit was perfect, no dead pixels, no backlight bleeding. And it looked awesome as calibrated with real calibrator.

And I returned it within 10 days from boughtday, now Im waiting refund to get 2407WFP.

Now if the next 2007WFP is another flickerer I'm getting a refund and buying a Samsung 225BW it's not as good but hey... its 22" and cheaper! ;). I will surely miss the pivot function though...

How bad are these cases of flickering? Is it the entire screen or the left 1/3rd? Is just just the test patterns posted or on many shades of gray? I'm almost certain EVERY monitor flickers at least a little, but we need a better guage of how bad the problem is and how prevailant.

In my particular case the flickering is severe (it's the worst case I am aware of). Of course every LCD flickers a little, but I'm talking about awful flickering. It's easily noticeable even browsing this forum (dark gray colour scheme). With a good test pattern (solid dark gray full screen) the flickering is overwhelming. The entire screen flickers but on the leftmost side it flickers even more.
I'm absolutely sure this is only happening to a small percentage of 2007WFP owners, because, as we have stated here several times, a lot of people would be complaining about this but the fact is only a handful of people are affected.

Back