200gb hard drive window shows 130?

Azn226

Limp Gawd
i just got this new hard drive and i reinstall windows on it. but when windows booted up and ask me to make a new partition it only shows 130gb?? people told me to install SP1 but it still does the same thing. help.. please.. and its a western digital 8mb cache

Check the jumpers on the HDD to make sure that its set at 200GB nothing else.

then you have to format that extra 70 gig, after you enable the 48-bit addressing. with something like partion magic

I have a somewhat similar problem, but with a smaller HD. My 40GB is showing up as 32GB. Is there anyway to get it up to the true 40GB's?

PS: Sorry to add in your thread. I can delete this if you don't approve. ;)

Originally posted by Azn226
i just got this new hard drive and i reinstall windows on it. but when windows booted up and ask me to make a new partition it only shows 130gb?? people told me to install SP1 but it still does the same thing. help.. please.. and its a western digital 8mb cache
Download and install Data Lifeguard Tools here:

http://support.wdc.com/download/#dlgtools

Originally posted by Phoshious
I have a somewhat similar problem, but with a smaller HD. My 40GB is showing up as 32GB. Is there anyway to get it up to the true 40GB's?
Some hard drive models have jumpers that limit capacity to 32 GB. Confirm that this is not the case for yours'. Also, try reformatting using FDISK. Otherwise, this is not really fixable. Hard drive capacity is often specified inconsistently, and the formatted capacity can be 5-10% less than the advertised capacity. This is a widespread and annoying practice in almost the entire industry.

Some motherboards top out at 137GB due to limitations of 32-bit addressing.

There might be an option to enable 48-bit addressing somewhere in the bios or via an update but if not you might have to try one of the work arounds like the datasafe lifeguard tools which allow you to fool your bios into being able to access the full 200GB.

Originally posted by xonik
Some hard drive models have jumpers that limit capacity to 32 GB. Confirm that this is not the case for yours'. Also, try reformatting using FDISK. Otherwise, this is not really fixable. Hard drive capacity is often specified inconsistently, and the formatted capacity can be 5-10% less than the advertised capacity. This is a widespread and annoying practice in almost the entire industry.

As far as I know, there is no such jumper. I just have Master/Slave and Cable Select.

I always figured it was like you said - just smaller than it actually was, but I saw this thread and figured I'd try. ;)

Gabs-it's an OS thing not a mobo thing. The 137 limit is a problem with winblows pre XP SP1a. I wanted to use 98SE but didn't want to deal with the BS workarounds to get past 137.

ThE s[H]aDoW

My IBM Deskstar 60GXPs have jumpers that can be set to limit capacity to 32 GB for whatever reason. I thought it might be the case for you.

The problem is windows.
Since you tried to install the drive before you had sp1, you will have to re-partsion the drive. You can do this by right clicking on my computer and going to MANAGE.

Or you can use Partsion Magic, its like 60 dollars, but you wont have to lose all your info to re-partsion.

I suggest you look in the data storage forum there is sticky there about getting past the 137gb barrier. I think that is probably your problem, though i am not sure. Its worth a shot

Are you trying to create the second partition using XP's Drive Management after you install SP1? If not, that's how you do it. I serioualy hope your not trying to make the entire drive your system partition, as one single 200 GB partition. I have no idea why anyone in their right mind would do that, and ignore the warnings.

You can enable over 137GB in winxp sp1 by following the instructions here. After you are through you can go into disk management and extend the drive through win xp disk part. program .(follow help screens on disk part and it will guide you through it). Remember that even when you enable a drive over 137 GB it will be less than the full drive as there are 1024 bits in 1 GB not 1000 as drive manufacturers use (ie 97% of the drives stated size). I did it on my raided 0 drives (160GB) and it works fine.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q303013

or you can use an ATA133 controller card which has the fix built in (the ATA 100 controllers have a fix that can be added, but there have been some problems with it working in all cases).

Originally posted by xonik
My IBM Deskstar 60GXPs have jumpers that can be set to limit capacity to 32 GB for whatever reason. I thought it might be the case for you.

I just checked the device manager, and it says the capacity of the drive is 39197MB, then under that it says:

Unallocated space: 6950MB.

Would I use FDISK to get it back?

Back