2010 MBP - Overclocking the GT330?

So I've been wondering about something, and haven't gotten a concrete answer. The other forum that I frequent apparently isn't [H] enough in regards to this type of thing, so I knew I'd have to ask here :D

I have a 2010 MBP with a 512MB GT330 and was wondering how, if it's even possible, to get a GPU OC that carries over in to OS X. I realized that the only way to do this is either by flashing the GPU BIOS or with OS X software that can do the same thing as, say, rivatuner in Windows. I was able to run bootcamp and OC the card through nvidia system tools, but obviously, the OC is worthless after a reboot into OS X. My attempts at viewing/editing the card BIOS were thwarted, it either has custom firmware or is just incapable of being accessed because of its being soldered into the logic board itself. Can someone who perhaps knows more either verify this or suggest a method that might work? This is just for fun, I realize even a huge OC isn't going to do anything for a crappy GPU.

Can't help you here, but I'm just envisioning the thread you post once you do get it OC'd:

"OC'd GF330, now 'The Boys' get too hot - HELP!!"

:D

Can't help you here, but I'm just envisioning the thread you post once you do get it OC'd:

"OC'd GF330, now 'The Boys' get too hot - HELP!!"

:D

lol, this is probably true. but i'd never do any gaming on my lap anyway. Just wondering if there's some way to access this cards BIOS and/or write a modified one back to it.

Yeah the consensus on other forums (MacRumors and InsanelyMac) is it's just not possible to save these settings across OS' unless you could flash it, which no one has done and is difficult because of figuring out Apple's EFI implementation.

You can do it with some *custom* EFI implementations, but that's not for Apple-branded machines...

Does overclocking the chip violate the EULA that you agreed to by breathing the air in the Apple Store? ;)

btw when did they upgrade the MBP to the 330? i must be getting behind. also how hot does your mbp run? i'm considering buying a mbp cuz this old MB runs toooo hot @86 C when i watch some hd stuff. Video becomes choppy as well which sucks

Back