21"CRT vs 24" LCD?

djt

Limp Gawd
I am currently looking for another monitor for another setup for my out of town office that will be a dual 8800GTX/Core 2 machine.

In my current office I have a dual monitor setup using a Samsung 21.3” 214T and a Samsung 19” 970P LCD for my general work machine. My other setup for gaming uses a Samsung 1100MB 21” CRT.

The LCD’s are fine for general work but when it comes to gamming the 21” CRT is far superior.

My question is can I get image quality and performance out of say a 24” Dell LCD that will come close to my CRT or is it going to be similar to what I'm seeing with my current LCD’s?

Also, I have looked around and can not find the Samsung 1100MB 21” CRT in stock any where. Would the ViewSonic G225fb 21” CRT be comparable to the Samsung 1100MB?

The 214T uses the same panel technology as the 24" LCD's (S-PVA). 24" LCD's will have almost exactly the same image quality of the 214T.

Scyles,

Thanks for the info.

I guess I’m back to square one, looking for a good CRT.

I’m still puzzled about the disappearance of the Samsung 1100MB.

I thought at least some of the Rev A04 2407s were S-IPS?

No they are not, I don't know of any 24" S-IPS panels. And, don't see any in the near future. However, there is rumor that the Benq newer VW 24" is suppose to use the new A-MVA panel from AUO however, this remains to be seen

Perhaps you should consider one of the 24" P-MVAs (Benq, Acer), they do not have some of the problems that S-PVAs do. Less twinkling on videos, less loss of dark details in the center.

I have a 2 monitor setup with a 22" CRT (NEC 2111) and a 24 LCD (2407FPW). I agree with you, the LCD cannot compare for gaming. But it is better at text / web browsing / developing, no doubt. I also like the pivot mode.

If you check some of the other CRT threads you can read about getting a new or refurb NEC 2111, with a diamondtron CRT, which is a top of the line CRT tube.

If you check some of the other CRT threads you can read about getting a new or refurb NEC 2111, with a diamondtron CRT, which is a top of the line CRT tube.

So you would not recommend the ViewSonic G225fb 21” CRT?

I have a 2 monitor setup with a 22" CRT (NEC 2111) and a 24 LCD (2407FPW). I agree with you, the LCD cannot compare for gaming. But it is better at text / web browsing / developing, no doubt. I also like the pivot mode.

Gotta love the FE2111, mine performs like a dream :). Black blacks and rich colours. Looked at countless LCDs which, as stated above, do perform better with text etc but (to me at least) cannot compare for games. Too 'clinical', if that makes sense?

EDIT: Have a look at what's available, still, CRT-wise (appreciated it in the UK, but you get the idea) http://www.computerdisplays.co.uk/21%20inch.htm

get a crt with a trinitron or diamondtron tub, they have amazing picture quality

I’ve also got a Mitsubishi 2060 CRT (Ivory) sitting in its box back home. It had great image quality but it had that annoying line across the screen. I don’t think it’s any better than the Samsung 1100MB I bought last summer.

Gotta love the FE2111

I was just looking at the specs on the FE2111. The resolution does not go up to 2048 x 1536.

I take it that no one here has any experience with the ViewSonic G225fb?

So you would not recommend the ViewSonic G225fb 21” CRT?

I would much rather go with the P225f, which is the professional series. Higher resolution and refresh rates. However, I do not know whether they have the model in the U.S. Singapore I know has it.

See here: Viewsonic P225f

My question is can I get image quality and performance out of say a 24” Dell LCD that will come close to my CRT or is it going to be similar to what I'm seeing with my current LCD’s?

I do not know much about your CRT but if it is of high quality the Dell 2407 will not approcach the CRT in color accuracy. The reason for this is the technology of the LCD panel and its limited ability to be properly calibrated.

I recently viewed the Gretag Macbeth color checker through a professional quality video camera using both the Dell 24 inch monitor and a Sony 20 inch broadcast monitor. The Sony faithfully accurately reporduced all the colors of the colorchecker. The Dell was off on some colors by quite a bit. There was little that I could do to adjust the Dell.

If color accuracy is what you are looking for I believe your CRT problably will trump all contenders.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
No it isn't. That is the G225, which is the so-called "Graphics" series. The P225 is their "Professional" series and is a higher-end monitor.

Thanks for the info.

Do you know how the P225 would compare to the Samsung 1100MB?

Would the image quality be that much different between the G225 and the P225?

almost $1k for a freaking 21" CRT, you have to be kidding me. I don't care how good the color reproduction is that is a rip off, unless I suppose you are a pro photographer and make your own prints, but besides that it isn't worth it. $1k :rolleyes:

almost $1k for a freaking 21" CRT, you have to be kidding me. I don't care how good the color reproduction is that is a rip off, unless I suppose you are a pro photographer and make your own prints, but besides that it isn't worth it. $1k :rolleyes:

Actually, since the model is no longer available in the U.S., sellers can claim anything they want for it and, if you need it badly enough, you might pay.

When I checked the price in Singapore, it was around US$580, which was about the list price of this monitor in the U.S.

Trust me...if i could BUY a brand new Sony 24" widescreen, i would...you pay for what you get. I knew this back in 2003 when i paid €970 for my Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 2070SB, at the time i seriously considered the Sony but it was over €1,500.

Man i wish they still sold these high end CRT's.... :(

Thanks for the info.

Do you know how the P225 would compare to the Samsung 1100MB?

Would the image quality be that much different between the G225 and the P225?

I'm afraid I don't know how the P225 compares with either G225 or 1100MB, except to say that, if at all, the P225 should be better than the G225.

Here's a dated but informative article: Seven 21" and 22" CRTs Compared

Please note that the P225 has undergone several revisions since that article was published.

Trust me...if i could BUY a brand new Sony 24" widescreen, i would...

I'm in the same boat as you. If they sold the FW900 brand-new, I'd pay almost anything to buy one. It's sad that market forces have to dictate the direction taken by technology companies. The superior products always get sacrificed: Betamax, CRT, etc.

I'm in the same boat as you. If they sold the FW900 brand-new, I'd pay almost anything to buy one. It's sad that market forces have to dictate the direction taken by technology companies. The superior products always get sacrificed: Betamax, CRT, etc.

Don't worry, LCDs will reach a point to where they are superior to CRTs. Just give them time.

[ T ] A C O;1030752206 said:
...lots of time.

I'll bet they come around before the end of the decade. The new backlighting and the faster response times are really going to give crts a run for their money. I still love my CRT, but it's just too big to occupy room on my desk so I leave it in the other room.

Here's a dated but informative article: Seven 21" and 22" CRTs Compared

That’s the review that convinced me to buy the Mitsubishi 2060u in the fall of 2002.

It’s amazing how these CRT’s are just about extinct now.

wow the P225 is only 140$ at azatek. i want to pick one up just so i can have a 22" 4:3 CRT to play games on that dont support widescreen.

I have a FW900, but i hate playing older games on it that dont support widescreen, and even newer games like BF2. a nice huge 4:3 professional CRT sounds really nice.

very tempting.

On the high end tv side, Sharp is now producing panels that can do 120hz refresh rates, have a native contrast of 3000:1 and a dynamic contrast of 15000:1, 92% color gamut, multi-pixel per dot technologies to extend color rendition at far viewing angles even further and low lag modes for gaming. I'm going to be looking into one of these soon, so yes I do agree that LCDs will match CRTs in some areas and surpass them in others, it is inevitable. But in the meanwhile, CRTs such as the Grade A refurbs are still a great deal for gamers. I play at 1600x1200 at 100hz+ and the graphics are liquid smooth in a way I have not seen on LCDs so far (but expect to in the future.) The blacks and shadow details exceed LCDs as well, and the calibrated color is also excellent (this is the one areas that *some* LCDs do almost as well.) Movies look much better too - no twinkling or blurring, no overdrive induced color noise, etc. Too bad I never watch movies on this monitor.

The Samsung monitor indicated above is not quite as good. With 21"-22" CRTs, you don't really want to exceed the 2xxx x 1xxxx resolutions, even if the monitor syncs, the pixel size is smaller than the phosphor dot clusters - you're not seeing any additional details.1600x1200 or 1920 X 1440 are ideal. 1920x1440 will display all the detail in a 1080p picture with black bars above and below.

Back