22 inch to 24 inch, big difference?

jjz-

Limp Gawd
Heya. I have an Asus VW224 22 inch monitor right now. 2 ms response, 1680x1050. It is alright, although nothing spectacular.

I have been looking at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824005126 - the LG W2453V-PF. It seems to be a good monitor, and it is a step up in resolution and size.

Anyone know about this monitor? Anyone know if the 2 inch increase is really noticable? What about the resolution increase?

I plan to just be browsing around the internet, typing up some stuff, and playing games sometimes. I have a GTX280.

Tagging along... I have the same uses as you (internet, word processing, and gaming)

I also have an asus 22" 1680x1050.

I was thinking of going to 1920x1200 as it seems to get more good comments though.

I also was thinking about the hanns-g 28.5" as it falls within my price range. But another user said it wasn't so hot color-wise.

I recently bought a BenQ V2400W 24" monitor. You can get it on the BenQ online store right now for $299 and free shipping with the coupon code they give you. If you are going for a TN panel 24" monitor, I highly recommend this one.

Anyways...about your question...it depends on what you are doing with it. If you use any applications where space is vital (in my case, Photoshop and Adobe Flex) the increased resolution and size is pretty nice. There are lots of panels in those applications, so the more space, the better. For simple things like browsing the internet, you might not notice it as much. So if you are feeling that the 22" is limiting or somewhat cramped when it comes to space, get the 24".

One other thing...the dot pitch is smaller on a 24" monitor in comparison to a 22". So you also get a boost in sharpness.

Actual resolution can be just as important as the screen size increase. Even if you only watch the occasional movie, moving on to 1080p (or slightly higher in the case of 1920x1200) seems like a good long term choice to me at this point. I think 1080p will be a production standard for many years to come, the movie and game industries have really embraced it, and anyone who makes user interfaces for any regular software are certainly aware of it, etc,,, It should only get more popular. The direct loss of quality of going 'down' to 1680*1050 isn't that big of a deal, but a monitor will be used for many years ideally- and every industry is gravitating towards 1080 as a standard, I think it's wise to have a 1080 display.

LCD tech has relatively plateaued and stuff like OLED displays still need years of work to get rolling. If there are breakthroughs in data storage/ internet speeds/ media delivery, 1080 will surely be the way every type of media is delivered. But who knows, I could be completely wrong and some new tech will pop up in 6 months along with new production standards.

Seems reasonable. I wish there were 24 inch 120hz lcds around. Even if there were, they would probably be $600 or something :(.

I might go with this LG then. Unless someone has a better suggestion on a good gaming/browsing 24incher? The LG has 0 input lag apparently.

24inch is clutch, well I have like a 23.5 or something

I went from 20 inch to this, and its the perfect size imo

I like 22" myself. It's big, without being too big to the point where your non-geek friends come over and sarcastically say "holy crap, ya think that's big enough fer you?"

Back