22" LCD - What resolution do you prefer 1680x1050 or 1920x1080 ?

What native resolution do you prefer on 22" LCD display ?

• Total voters

boboweb

n00b
The question is very simple:

What native resolution do you prefer - 1680x1050 or 1920x1080 on 22" LCD display ?

Obviously 1080p. Why would anyone ever want a resolution between 720p and1080p?

The plus about 1080p is that you can still select 1680x1050 inside, but the pixel pitch will be smaller of course.

It's a hard call for me. On the one hand, I prefer 16:10, but on the other hand, why get less pixels?

^^^ +1; 22 inch is too small for 1080p movies and 16:9 sucks for computer work at this size.

Dave

Obviously 1080p. Why would anyone ever want a resolution between 720p and1080p?

Didn't see much difference in HD movies, maybe not pixel in pixel but 1920x1080 (as in HD movies) scaled to 1680x1050 (native resolution) looks great. As for games, lower resolution gives better performance from your video-card and scaling a native resolution to a lower resolution does look worst in games.

Then again if this thread was about "24+ monitors, on those I'd rather go with 1920x1080 for the obvious reasons.

1080p? I don't want black bars right where backlight bleed is the worst.

On the 21.5" unit I have close to me, 1080p is perfectly usable. So I pick 1080p. But 1680x1050 isn't bad either.

1080p? I don't want black bars right where backlight bleed is the worst.

Maybe your knowledge regarding software video players is limited to Windows Media player, but I assure you there are plenty of alternatives capable of 16:10 ratio. ;)

I would say bigger is always better, but I'm surprised the results are so close.

Dot pitch is probably too small on the 19x12 for a 22"

I don't have eye problems. Up close I have excellent vision. So, factoring that in, I'd love to have as high a resolution as possible. Plus, I mean, if a 15.4" laptop can run at 1920x1200 surely a 22" would be fine.

I use 1080p, but that is because its the native resolution for my Benq e2200HD. I hate 1680x1050 because then everything is to big.

I think 1080P is too cramped up on 22" monitor, 1680x1050 is perfect for it. On 23,4-24inchers 1080p and 1920x1200 shine.

I preferred 1680x1050 for my eyefinity set up because the difference in pixels, multiplied by 3 monitors, would affect performance in games quite a bit. Or at least that is what I imagine, haven't seen a benchmark of 3 1680x1050 monitors vs 3 1080p monitors with the same hardware.

1080P is too much for this monitor.

For work, pictures and text are just the right size for comfort in 1680x1050.

For gaming, I can setup Eyefinity with 5040x1050 much more comfortably and with higher FPS than with 1080P monitors and it looks just as good with 2x AA and less VRAM requirements.

Finally, for smaller videos, youtube, streaming sports, old videos (tv/movies/animation from before the digital age) - the lower the resolution, the better they look. You all know the effect of trying to watch regular SD TV on a 1080p TV, it looks like crap even thought that SD TV might look fine on a CRT. I'm a huge fan of old shows and movies and you rarely find them available in HD resolutions so for me, lower res works best.

For gaming, I can setup Eyefinity with 5040x1050 much more comfortably and with higher FPS than with 1080P monitors and it looks just as good with 2x AA and less VRAM requirements.

Finally, for smaller videos, youtube, streaming sports, old videos (tv/movies/animation from before the digital age) - the lower the resolution, the better they look. You all know the effect of trying to watch regular SD TV on a 1080p TV, it looks like crap even thought that SD TV might look fine on a CRT. I'm a huge fan of old shows and movies and you rarely find them available in HD resolutions so for me, lower res works best.

Yep! 3 Stooges, Marx Bros, Twilight Zone, Westerns, Cartoons, and endless DVDs.

Got to have 1080p on a bigger screen, but text is too small on a 22 inch.

I agree totally

Dave

i have to say i don't agree on that one. At work I am using dual 22s at 1920x1080 and it really feels like the way to go. I was skeptical at first as I always thought 22" was too small for that resolution. I don't think that way anymore.

huh? Didn't know this about the resolution and been running 1920x1080. Will check the other to see if there's a positive difference.

Anybody would pick more usable screen space. Being a hardware enthusiast, I can't pick any less.

For those of you who are complaining, you haven't tried the 21.5 LED monitors yet. They have just come out. Asus MS228H and LG e2250V-sn for US models. Try the LED backlit monitors. I would highly recommend the 23 inch XL2370 or PX2370 from Samsung with better color accuracy as compared to the LG's and Asus's.

Higher resolution means more real estate, ~40 percent more, smaller dot pitch means sharper everything. Sharper and cleaner image. You tube and stuff doesn't have to be full screen. Smaller and sharper images in smaller windows, watching while working on another browser. Multitasking is fun.

As for game performance, you don't have to have AA on, I think higher resolution looks better. However, you are right the performance will suffer at higher resolution if you use a cheap card. Upgrade your card and use higher resolution, and upgrade your life.

Those who are complaining about text size, you could always adjust the font sizes on both the system as well as on your browsers. Make sure you check the option that let your browsers use their own fonts and styles, not the websites' fonts and styles.

I am looking to get the LG e2250V-sn myself because of the lower weight, I need a portable display of high res to carry around. Right now I am using the Samsung XL2370 and I am afraid I might sacrifice the color accuracy, but I guess I will have to calibrate the color somehow with the LG. The LG's weight is so attractive to me.

Go LED backlit!!!! (must calibrate brightness and contrast)
Say no to CCFL !!!!

Last edited:
I would prefer a 1080P display, just because of alot of the anime I watch and games I play now default to 16:9.

I would go for the 1080 and then resize your text settings through Windows at to large instead of small / medium. It worked out fine for my 24'' that I can't read when it's too far away.

On a 22 inch definitely 1680x1050 1920x1080 would look extremely small you would need glasses to see anything..

Back