23" WUXGA LCD panels..

Splat1

n00b
Whats out there currently in the 23" panel arena.. I know about the apple, And I think HP has one for about $1600 that will do 1900x1200 or something @ 25ms with Componant H/D supporting all HD resolutions. Whats out there in the 23" arena? Has anybody had any experiance playing games on the 23" panels? I have a couple 2001fp's now and am pretty happy with them but I would throw some more cash out there If there is a 23" panel out there that plays games as well as the 2001fp as far as ghosting is concerned. Also what Can I expect in this arena in the next 6 months?. Anbody know of any 16ms panels that will be coming out in the 16x9 format that will do all HDTV resolutions and Play games without ghosting? I know yall are waiting for these..

Game On...

Splat.

If you are a true hardcore gamer, you wouldn't be buying a lcd.

lcds are for ppl who buy what looks cool or what everbody else *thinks* is popular. If you are a gamer or an artist, you should know why crts are so much better.

Well Point me somewhere where I can get a 23" or greater WUXGA CRT that has componant HDTV inputs as well as VGA and can support resolutions 1900x1200 or higher in a 16x9 aspect ratio. I think sony is the only one out there and that one probably isnt true 23" viewable and doesnt support any type of HD inputs. BTW Im sure you could have found a good CRT vs LCD thread here as there are only like 50..

Originally posted by Pyrolistical

lcds are for ppl who buy what looks cool or what everbody else *thinks* is popular. If you are a gamer or an artist, you should know why crts are so much better.

I disagree, hardcore gamer= lan parties=flat pannel.

Whats your tag? what game(s) do you play?, and on what servers?

I wanna see how hardcore you are.. since I only game with LCD's now..

Originally posted by TheGameguru
Whats your tag? what game(s) do you play?, and on what servers?

I wanna see how hardcore you are.. since I only game with LCD's now..

Unfortunately I can not do anything to prove to you that I am a hardcore gamer, since you would be biased with the fact that you are trying to determine if I am a hardcore gamer or not.

The only way for anybody to know I am a hardcore gamer is to realize it themselves, without my intervention.

If you would like, I can list all the reasons why LCDs are not good for gamers.

Anyways, this is just my opinion, why are you getting so worked up about it? I am allowed to have an opinion right?

sigh, I'm tired of all the bs crt vs. lcd stuff. I game with an LCD. It doesn't ghost for me. I love it better than my old CRT. Therefore, it's perfect for me. If a gamer wants an LCD, don't try and go into how LCDs suck for gaming, blah blah. It'll just draw flames.

As to the original poster...
I'm not sure on what 23" LCDs are out there, but you should consider, when figuring out if you want one or not, going into stores that have them hooked up to a usable computer so that you can run programs to help determine if there is ghosting or not, and if you like everything about it.

Yup, but notice I said hardcore gamer.

I am not saying gamers can not use lcds to play games ....

Unfortunately I can not do anything to prove to you that I am a hardcore gamer, since you would be biased with the fact that you are trying to determine if I am a hardcore gamer or not.

The only way for anybody to know I am a hardcore gamer is to realize it themselves, without my intervention.

If you would like, I can list all the reasons why LCDs are not good for gamers.

Anyways, this is just my opinion, why are you getting so worked up about it? I am allowed to have an opinion right?

Not sure why you thought I was getting worked up...it was an honest question.. If I jumped on a server you frequent and you were owning people left and right I'd certainly consider you hardcore in that game and then possibly a hardcore gamer...

Besides I consider myself hardcore and only game with LCD's...now I wonder if I'm just a poser?! LOL!

;)

I know hardcore gamers that use LCDs. Play about 4+ hours per day if not more. Hell one even enters tournaments. None of them have problems with using an LCD, and love all of the aspects about them.

I'm just saying, just because you, as a hardcore gamer, doesn't like LCDs, doesn't mean that everyone can't stand using an LCD for gaming.

Besides, the guy didn't even say he was a hardcore gamer in the first post.

people in the past 10 posts. please re-read the first post, seems like you missed it and though you clicked another LCD vs. CRT thread.

you mentioned the Sony, and the only other unit i see doing widescreen is an LG, http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=10362515&loc=

doesnt' have many of the inputs you wanted, but you could buy a video switch and do that, pretty spendy though.

I would classify myself as a hardcore gamer, competing in RTCW and now COD for about 2 years, and I use an LCD, and dont notice any ghosting... #Rival on gamesurge (im Rival|WyT)

Goodness, another one of these threads. :p

LCDs aren't just for people who buy what looks cool or what everbody else thinks is popular. Some people just don't have the room for an oversized CRT.

Also, gaming has gotten much better due to 16 and 12 ms panels. But you have to take into consideration that the image vibrance and clarity is unbeatable.

I definitely do agree with you on the graphic artist part. But after I switched my home monitor to a lcd, I'll probably never go back to a crt again. Although for my work, I'd always like the CRT to stick around.

Well, both LCD and CRT monitors have their own pros and cons. We all know them , so please let's not waste time with this subject.

It's honestly been beaten to death...:rolleyes:

To the original poster:

Current 23" panels will definitely show ghosting for fast paced games. LCD technology has always been stagnant, especially for the larger sized panels. It took some time for the 25ms large sized panels to finally reach sub 20s (16ms). But hey you'll never know,.. maybe they might be out with one real soon (which I highly doubt).

I think the bottom line is...nothing yet.

We're in the Pentium stage of display panels....the P4EE is still a long ways off.

Your current panels are pretty nice...

For you LCD gamers out there, what do you do to minimize ghosting settings wise? I know that I've only gotten to use my 1801FP for a couple of days, and I noticed slight ghosting in Counter-Strike, but that was probably because I wasn't used to it yet. Since my system is down, I thought it'd be a good time to ask.

there are no ways to minimize ghosting via settings. The rise and fall times are controled by the panel and cannot be changed.

Nothing in terms of refresh rate or v-sync? I understand a higher refresh rate results in less ghosting, but what does v-sync do?

Sony has a 23" LCD that is getting my attention. It has dual dvi and dual vga. Other thing is it has color temp. adjust. which is alittle rare for LCDs. This is just one of many in this range I'm sure.

I see a Sony 23" LCD monitor on Circuit City store shelf. It is a real dog. Dull colors and 40ms Response Time. That dog will ghost real bad in games. Salesman told me "I've had it on the shelf now for 2 months and haven't sold a single one".
I exaggerate not-----I would not pay $200 for it. The pricetag is around $2300.

Originally posted by HitMan-sC
Nothing in terms of refresh rate or v-sync? I understand a higher refresh rate results in less ghosting, but what does v-sync do?

Higher refresh rates are not beneficial for lcd panels whatsoever.

What v-sync does is that it synchronizes the monitor's refresh rate with the framerate of the video card. In result it will eliminate the tearing that's sometimes visible when v-sync is off.

Since it basically lowers the frames per second, the ghosting may be less apparant. For example, a 16ms panel (optimal settings) with v-sync on will have a matched frame/refresh rate of 60. Since a 16ms panel can do typical 62.5 fps, there won't be much ghosting present. I say "there wont be much" because the response time is typical, and is measured in white to black and vice versa - not one gray to a different shade of gray (which almost all panels aren't good at).

If you're looking for a panel that's larger than 20" and gaming is important to you, the only choice you have is to wait or go with a CRT. For a price of a 23" lcd, you can get a superb CRT.

Back