24 AWG vs 28 AWG DVI cable

vjcsmoke

Supreme [H]ardness
Basically I'm looking to buy a 10 foot DVI cable.
However there are two gauges listed on monoprice:

24AWG - $18 including shipping

28AWG - $12 including shipping

Is it worth it to spend the extra $6 on the thicker gauge cable (24AWG), or is it not going to make any difference. BTW these are both dual-link cables and so purportedly support resolutions up to 2560x1600. Monoprice doesn't sell any single link DVI-D cables which I assume would be even cheaper.

What is the gauge of the 6 foot cable normally included with monitors? Is it 28AWG? I am thinking that thicker cable will have less chance of signal loss/impedance but will be bulkier and harder to route.

PS the price charged for shipping is terrible and nearly doubles the cost of the cable for the 24AWG and more than doubles the cost of the cable in the case of the 28AWG.

Does the stated AWG refer to the diameter of the individual signal carrying wires themselves, or is this referring more to the thickness of the insulation? In either case, I'd just go with whatever is cheaper. I highly, highly doubt that your digital signal is going to have any issues.

Does the stated AWG refer to the diameter of the individual signal carrying wires themselves, or is this referring more to the thickness of the insulation? In either case, I'd just go with whatever is cheaper. I highly, highly doubt that your digital signal is going to have any issues.

From this table it appears that AWG should be based on conductor diameter rather than insulation thickness.

This is only going to matter when you're pushing the length limit. Monoprice does 28AWG only for 3, 6, 10 and 15 foot lengths; for 25, 35 and 50 foot lengths, they only use 24AWG.

Back