24" IPS monitors with light AG?

jkrafcik

Weaksauce
Are there any 24" IPS monitors with light AG that people could recommend? Looking to finally replace my 7-year old Dell 2001FP. I'm currently using a HP ZR30w at work, and I'm finding I really dislike the anti-glare coating. I'd ideally like a 27", but the Samsung 27" is a little pricy for me, and given the room it's going in I'm concerned about glare (lots of windows, although they are mostly behind the monitor).

Thanks!

I'm not sure of an answer on this , but I know the Dell U2412M has the heavy coating. Not sure of HP and other brands.

I think samsung has a PLS 24, I could be wrong. I have the 27" PLS s27a850D and its fantastic, the AG is perfect. Anti reflective, but not so aggressive like other brands...the dell and HP IPS panels have such thick AG that all white backgrounds look dirty/grainy. I've heard some other users complain of backlight bleeding (on the sa850D), but mine was perfect out of the box and looks better than the u2711....but buy from a place with a good return policy just in case (this applies to any monitor purchase :)

everything with A-TW like NEC 2490WUXi (but not WUXi2), LG W2420R, HP LP2480zx, etc
also PLS have nice coating so Samsung S24A850D

Any recommendations for places with a good return policy?

amazon.com is the best, IMO. Their returns are zero hassle. This only applies to certain models and the seller has to be amazon LLC (not a 3rd party)

everything with A-TW like NEC 2490WUXi (but not WUXi2), LG W2420R, HP LP2480zx, etc
XoR, those monitors are all $1000+ and low stock. Discontinued?

XoR said:
The HP has strong AG, and the LG probably does too since it's the same panel. The NEC 2490 and 2690 had medium AG, but they're not available anymore.

The Samsung has the lightest AG, so it's probably the best choice.

ToastyX confrimed the HP Dream color was grainy, it is not logical for LGs own model not to have the aggressive coating when pretty much every other matte IPS does.

The Samsung PLS displays are the only proven/safe option in the the 24" department.

my LG looks much more like S-PVA based Dell 2407wfp than hard-AG IPS Dell U2410.
HP ZR30W is from WCG-CCFL family and those have worst coating possible. I'd say like at least three-four times stronger.

coating/price Samsung PLS wins hands down :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Anybody had the chance to compare the Samsung S24A850D to the DELL U2412M side by side? Anti glare coating aside I'm curious if the Samsung's higher price (200 euros difference where I live) is justified by it's quality and features.

The HP has strong AG, and the LG probably does too since it's the same panel. The NEC 2490 and 2690 had medium AG, but they're not available anymore.

The Samsung has the lightest AG, so it's probably the best choice.

The 2690WUXI is slightly less noisy than the 2490WUXI now that I've had them side-by-side Not a big difference, but it's there.

Anybody had the chance to compare the Samsung S24A850D to the DELL U2412M side by side? Anti glare coating aside I'm curious if the Samsung's higher price (200 euros difference where I live) is justified by it's quality and features.

Yes, I've had them side-by-side. Both are very low input lag, good response time 24" screens. The S24A850D has a slightly smoother and warmer white than the Dell, but the Dell has better contrast and black levels in general. Viewing angles on both are good with lights off, but at more extreme angles, and lights on, the Samsung's lower haze anti-glare presents a more vibrant picture. The slightly extended gamut of the Samsung gives it a slightly more vibrant picture in reds, greens and blues, but not as bad as wide gamut screens.

The Samsung is flimsy, and the chance you will get one with major back-light bleed or corner clouding is very high, whereas with the Dell it's quite low. The Dell is much better built than the Samsung in terms of rigidity.

So far, I don't think anyone with the S24A850D around [H] has gotten a unit without BLB.

The Samsung and Dell both have very basic aspect ratio handling, so if you are going to use a console, only an Xbox 360 over DVI or VGA set @ 1680x1050 will work properly as it puts in black bars top and bottom to emulate 16:9 on 16:10 screens.

PS3 is going to stretch vertically to 16:10.

My honest opinion is that the Samsung is not worth more, and definitely not $200.00 more than the U2412M, unless anti-glare is a deal breaker for you, and you are willing to do multiple returns to hedge your bets on a low BLB unit.

The 27" Samsung is a different story. BLB on my second unit is low, and panel quality is generally good. The first unit wasn't bad either, just had a dead blue sub-pixel.

An over-price, though well-built alternative at 23" is the Eizo FS2332-BK which is a Samsung 23" PLS panel with low anti-glare and superior build quality to the S24A850D, though runs around $500.00 too. Another is the glossy Dell ST2220T which is a glossy S-IPS panel. Both are 1080p though.

Last edited:
Thanks for the in-depth reply, I'm keeping my U2412M. I'm already spoiled by it's real estate compared to my old 20" NEC (took just 2-3 evenings). I'm using the monitor exclusively for leisure (got several Samsungs and Dells on work, they're used mainly for text and audio editing) and though, coming from a glossy screen, I find the anti glare coating noticeable it's not something that bothers me particularly. Somehow I don't think now is the right moment to spend lots of money on a display if one doesn't need it professionally, manufacturers are probably more concerned on meeting price points in these times than developing state of the art products, new technologies are still being tweaked. We'll see in a year or two ;)

Last edited:
HP 2480ZX selling for $2400 on Ebay. That makes no sense at all.

Back