24" OLED monitor to be released in 2006

HoodooGuru

Limp Gawd
http://www.behardware.com/news/7977/24-oled-monitor-to-be-released-in-2006.html

[font=Arial, Helvetica]24" OLED monitor to be released in 2006[/font][font=Arial, Helvetica]
[font=Arial, Helvetica]Posted on 07/02/2006 at 13:42 by Vincent[/font]
[/font]
pixel.gif
[font=Arial, Helvetica]Is Sony rising from the ashes? The manufacturer passably missed the LCD turning point, because of a risky and early bet on OLED technology. It seems that they have now succeeded and that we will finally see these so much awaited monitors! There will however be another additional step before its release.

This summer, Sony will launch a new product range including LED backlight instead of the usual CCFL tubes. This replacement brings three advantages:
- lower power consumption
- wider gamut
- better light homogeneity (see the article on Nec's monitor).

The LED life is equivalent to current CCFL tubes. The counterpart on NEC's 21" monitor, which is already available, is a very much higher price: 5000 €.
Good news, Sony's CCFL and LED monitors will have the same price! The manufacturer announced the released of 17, 19 and 20" monitors around July.

Second step: the released of a 24" OLED monitor in October. This time, the price will be sensibly higher than LED LCDs. It is a little too early to talk about the characteristics. Sony just said that the response time would be reasonable, between 12 and 16 ms according to their current forecasts.

Even if these announcements are great , it is best to remain calm because we usually see delays for new technologies, overestimated characteristics and under evaluated prices. OLED monitors are awaited for a little more than 5 years. One little drawback, for now the only "big" (15 inches) monitor that we have tested had strong afterglow effects. Also, the price will probably be very high, even prohibitive for most of the users. Sony is only targetting clients that are very enthusiasts about this technology and this product.
LED backlight monitors were also expected in 2005 for Samsung amongst others. They too will be late. In consequence, it is best to have in mind July as a release date but not stick to it. Let's hope that they will show up in 2006. That would already be a good thing.
[/font]

Well there are two distinctly different technologies in that article. I find the LED backlit LCD monitor to be a better option. OLEDs have a short lifespan, from what I have seen. I have already seen a few go bad on cell phones.

Obi_Kwiet said:
What exactly is so great about OLED?

(Organic Light Emitting Display as I understand it)

Much lower power consumption than LCD's. Self illuminating (as in, doesn't require a backlight) supposedly because of these properties it's supposed to have a better rising and falling time, and better picture quality (opposed to LCD) Of course we'll see. I think most people agree that if they both do what they state, that SED will be a better technology than OLED.

Excellent progress.

OLED advantages:

No backlight issues (no bleed, no bright spots, no dark spots).
No viewing angle issues (No polarized crystal issues)
Perfect black.
Supposed to be faster but remains to be seen afterglow reported.

Unfortunately, that news item is from february. I, too, have been waiting my ass off for LED lcds to come to market. They should have been out a long time ago and for the price we're hearing about from sony. Unfortunately, there hasn't been much of a buzz about it from a consumer standpoint. Doesn't really make any sense because the benefits are hardly subtle. Less heat, zero chance of backlight bleed, much nicer colors... Here's to hoping that we see something by the end of the year.

My work has a lot of those LED displays. It's a catscan and they have 2 for each one. Thats nearly 6 in all at almost 3 grand a peice. :eek: I don't see the real difference between those and my current LCD that cost me 300.

I dont think I'm gonna get my hands on this, by the time the price comes down something else will emerge...hmm holygraphic displays? :D

12ms? From Sony? I'll believe it when I see it. I believe LED backlighting is far more interesting than OLED panels. I guess time will tell which one with succeed.

PCMusicGuy said:
12ms? From Sony? I'll believe it when I see it. I believe LED backlighting is far more interesting than OLED panels. I guess time will tell which one with succeed.

I think LED backlighting is more of a stop gap till OLED! To be honest with the 12ms figure I think the article has gotten confused between LED backlighting and OLED. Large OLED's is suppose to be a couple years off yet.

Sony is the most disappointing co. you can get. They have in the past, produced a product and kill the support because their co. finance is doing very poorly. MD, HiMD are tech. invented by Sony, and they just killed it this year.

The best thing to do is wait for some other co. that is willing to do support and go w/ that co. for OLED than taking great risk w/ Sony

behardware is just dreaming. They have nothing to back it up. Sony is only beginning construction on a pilot (read test) production line in 2007. I dont' think there will be an OLED monitor off this till 2008 or later. And for those waiting for SED, Canon/Toshiba have already announced the first panels are only coming out for the 2008 china Olympics, and only in 55" size and very expensive. So probably 2010 before you can get a SED monitor (if ever).

http://www.oled-info.com/
19 May, 2006: Sony to Start Construction of Large OLED Development and Production Line Early in 2007

Sony Corp. revealed its plan to build a pilot line that will be dedicated to developing and volume producing large-area organic light-emitting diodes (OLEDs) early next year.
The new facility will be located in the Shiga complex of ST-LCD, a joint venture between Sony and Toyota established in 2004. The company said it would focus on 10-inch and larger OLEDs at the new line, while developing OLED flat TVs and flexible displays. The new line construction is scheduled to begin in March 2007.

Latest SED delay:
http://www.eetimes.com/news/latest/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=181502058
Both companies attributed the delay to growing cost competitiveness. They therefore decided to recalibrate the timing of their SED introduction to coincide with 2008 Summer Olympics in Beijing.

finally I can consider getting a flatscreen

LCD's imo are not the best tech overall with CCFL's contributing to leaking light and uneven display, no true black, response times on most, contrast, etc. OLED's have more potential and are the future! Sony actually already released an OLED display on one of their network walkmen MP3 players.

Spetsnaz Op said:

LCD's imo are not the best tech overall with CCFL's contributing to leaking light and uneven display, no true black, response times on most, contrast, etc. OLED's have more potential and are the future! Sony actually already released an OLED display on one of their network walkmen MP3 players.

Spoken like a true CRT fanb0y

There is a good chance there will never be SED computer monitors, certainly not before 2010. Oled will get there first and be cheaper and fix most LCD problems. So it may kill any chance of SED computer monitors.

Coldtronius said:
Spoken like a true CRT fanb0y

no, that would be me :D

Spetsnaz Op said:

i'm in the same boat......having a 19" CRT now, i just haven't seen a LCD that gives the same overall quality all things considered, that wasn't priced 4 times as much as this one would cost to replace

the space issue is a non-issue for me too......and to be honest, i think it is much less of an issue for many LCD fans than they like to admit, but you know how it is when there's the new hot thing that 'everybody' is getting, anything to justify it.........because you just know so many people's desk's have been gradually shrinking until they could no longer support the CRT's size...... :rolleyes:

so finally maybe we CRT owners will see a monitor that's actually worth buying and actually going to deliver the goods for all the increased expense, because i sure as hell am not spending 3-4 times as much $$ on an inferior LCD just to save space and look cool.......besides, i never needed to use the space behind the screen anyways.....i typically am only looking at the screen itself......so as far as it goes for me, this damn CRT could have been 1" thick all along and i would have never known it, makes no difference, other than when you show your friends your UBER 1337 expensive LCD!!! OMG!!!

lets face it, there's nothing sexy about a fatass tube CRT monitor.......but i never buy my things to impress anyone but myself, and the only thing i get inpressed by, is the best performance for the lowest buck ;)

I have a Creative Zen MicroPhoto that has an OLED and love it. However as many said already with the huge difference between screens like that and full size monitor, I am going to wait until OLED's have been on the market for a few years before I even consider buying one. I want to see how their lifespan works out in real life. For the time being I am going to stick with a LCD.

For the CRT people: Have you considered the fact that CRTs aren’t big enough? I also only buy a monitor to impress myself. I have a Dell 3007FPW. I looked around and couldn’t find a CRT that could come close to matching the size. The closest thing I could find were some 24” widescreen CRT monitors, but only used. I only buy displays that are new. On top of that they only have a viewable area of 22.5.” Now that I am used to my new LCD, even a 24” seems small and a 19” CRT’s viewable is unbearably tiny!!

I tried 2 LCD's (Dell 2405,2007) and ended up buying a refurb 21" trinitron. CRT image quality is better in many ways that LCD falls down:

I get deep black, no screendoor effect, full artifact free multi-res support, no lags, no smears, no ghosts, perfect viewing angles, no burnt pixels. No video twinkle etc... LCD's keep working toward being as good as CRT but it is not nearly there yet.

My only problem is I have a 30day warranty, no more good CRT's are being built. The profit is now much higher on LCD. I am just hoping this lasts until a OLED shows up that delivers on its promises, because it should also have deep blacks, less lag, and perfect viewing angles. Not sure how it will work with screendoor effect in comparison.

Back