24"... or bigger?

NleahciM

2[H]4U
Hi - I'm trying to choose a monitor - would like to order it over the weekend. I definitely want it to be at least 24". I'm sick of my 14" laptop monitor :p. What I can't decide is if I should go bigger or not. Are there good monitors past 24", or are the larger ones really not meant for general use? The reason I ask is that if you go on Newegg there are tons of 24" monitors, but only a couple models at each of the larger sizes.

So anyways, does anybody have any recommendations on a good general purpose monitor? 24" or bigger, obviously :)

Thanks!

I have a 24" LG (1920 x 1200) and a 20" Viewsonic 1200 X 1600) tilted 90 degrees. I love this setup.

Having 2 monitors is definitely better than having just 1 big one. There is no need to go bigger than 24" unless you plan on watching movies from a distance. The Viewsonic gives me a 1600 X 1200 resolution which is great for full page viewing of documents while the 24" LG allows for great movie and Photoshop work.

Trust me.... one large monitor will never be as effective as having 2 separate ones.

In addition, a second monitor can be had for only an additional $200 or so. The cost to jump to a larger monitor than a 24" will cost a lot more.

Well my opinion differs a little (or a lot) from the previous poster, but we're both entitled to our own opinions.

I bought a 24" dell about a year and a half ago. I was moving to it from a 17" LCD. At first I thought it was the best! It felt really big, and the new widescreen aspect ratio really appealed to me.

It only took about half a year for me to start wanting something bigger. The increase in vertical length between a 17" 4:3 and a 24" 16:10 isn't that significant. Now I'm using a 30" Dell that I purchased about a year ago. I would probably agree with the previous poster that 2x 24" would be more effective workwise but nothing beats the pure satisfaction of 2560x1600 gaming =D

I would say if you have the money, get a 30". Its not entirely about size, as you can easily get a 37" or bigger with the same HD (1200/1080p) resolution as the 24" but more about resolution. As a general purpose "main PC" setup, I would definitely recommend getting the biggest screen with the highest resolution possible, which would be a 30" screen at the moment.

DATAstrm

One of the biggest reasons I prefer 2 over 1 is that it is easier for me to manage individual windows with two monitors. I can maximize a window and it only covers one of the monitors and leaves the other free for something else.

You said it well.... everyone has their owen opinion and that is exactly why the original poster came her to seek info.

Try gridmove. It is a great program to manage windows on you screen.

ill edit when my 2490wuxi is delivered within next 2 hours by fedex :)

This is my opinion for the OP. Yeah, it doesn't seem right to go with a MONITOR bigger than 24" with Newegg. They have excellent prices up to that size, but then, anything bigger than that costs a fortune. Plus, all of those bigger screen seem to have a much lower contrast ratio, which is bad as well. If you want something bigger, I would recommend to get a HDTV. I mean, now days they go up to 1920x1080@60hz. That's only 120 horizontal lines of pixel less, and in exchange you get a screen a lot bigger. So yeah, if you are not into anything serious, like PhotoShop, or maybe you do use, but are not as hardcore devoted to it, then a HDTV will suit you just fine. There's a few 37" screens, like the one in my signature, or you can go 32" if your work area is limited. Trust me, they look awesome, and the text is as clear as a regular monitor, no lie. Just warn you, get a desk for it if you consider 37" since you won't be able to see everything at once if you seat closer than 2-to-3 feet. I have to admit, I sit at 1.5 feet away, and yes, I feel immersed, and text is clear still, but I just can't see the whole thing at once, and that is something that I can't fix until I get a little bigger desk. So yeah, that's when the 32" comes in, when your situation is similar to mine, but in a permanent way. And if you game on your computer as I do, fear not, every games supports 1080p resolution now days. I have plenty of games, and have downloaded as many demos as my hard-drives have allowed me, and of today, there is not a single game that does not support 1080p resolution. So that is superb. Another thing to consider here, most videos on the internet now, including movies, are in 16:9 aspect ration, so that means you use your full screen most of the time without having to deal with those annoying black bars. Another thing, HDTVs have a decent respond time if you are not so picky. I mean, I say this because people are crazy sometimes about it, when in reality is not noticeable at all. And before I leave, nothing beats farming in a MMORPG while you watch your favorite show in PIP(picture-in-picture), which is a feature that HDTVs have. That has personally have to be one of the favorite things of it.

So yeah, I'm not trying to sell you anything here. I'm just trying to show you how satisfied I am after I jumped into this HDTV ride. Have an open mind, and lets just wait for more satisfied people, like me, share their experience with a 24" monitor, or bigger.

As for the other dude that was recommending you a 30" screen. Well, ummm, I don't know there. First of all, those screen are really expensive, more than anything mentioned before. Plus, you have to deal with the purchases of new video cards every now and then since is not easy at all to run those resolutions.

So, who agrees with me? Who doesn't?

Keep in mind that most of those full HD TVs a 1920x1080 will cost more then a 30 inch Dell 3007WFP-HC with 2560x1600 will cost. Combine that with the better imagequality of a good computer monitored compared to mostly poor TVs and I see now reason to go with a TV. For some the bigger pixelpitch might be a positive thing, but I hate screens with a bigger pixelpitch. 1600x1200 on a 20" is big enough for me.

Back