24" vs 30" - Desktop display/font readability?

ReelMcCoy

Limp Gawd
As my eyes go blurry from searching for posts that might shed some light, I am wondering if anyone could may have some feedback as far as text readability goes in typical native resolutions for a 30" monitor (without font/DPI adjusting and whatnot). I'm trying to figure out how things might be with the higher resolutions of a 30" vs the 2408 I'm still trying to figure out if I should return and go 30". My eyesight isn't that great to begin with but the higher resolution might be nice.Thanks!

Judging by the pixel pitch stats I just looked at, the text on a 2560x1600 30" LCD will be smaller than a 1900x1200 24".

If you're interested in larger text, look at a 26" or a 22".

I had a problem reading text on a 24", but a 26" (same resolution but larger physical size and higher pixel pitch) fixed it. On the 24, I found myself playing with DPI scaling and font size; but on the 26, everything is perfect at default and if you need to, you can even increase font size to 10 point without messing up any icons, spacing, menus, etc., in Vista.

30" monitor (without font/DPI adjusting and whatnot).

Fonts at native resolution without DPI adjusting are not readable on 30".
DPI adjusting helps little.
I am thinking about upgrading from 24" to 30" and trying to to find out if interpolation quality of 30"s is good enough to use them in 1920x1200 for reading.
If not - good bye 30"!

Fonts at native resolution without DPI adjusting are not readable on 30".
DPI adjusting helps little.
I am thinking about upgrading from 24" to 30" and trying to to find out if interpolation quality of 30"s is good enough to use them in 1920x1200 for reading.
If not - good bye 30"!

There is no magic upscaling possible that will make it look decent. 1920x1200 up to 2560x1600, is a 3 to 4 upscale and there just isn't any way to do that and make it look good. 1920x1200 up to 3840x2400 (doubling) would look ok at reasonable distance, but it would be a collossal waste of money.

O.O.

Thanks for responding. I know I'd probably end up using DPI scaling to tweak things up. I stopped by a local Circuit City on the way home hoping they'd have a 30" monitor I could get a visual on. No dice. I can read text on this 2408 just fine as well as the 2405 before it. Seeing one in person would probably be best unless I find some magic image somewhere showing a 30" desktop vs 24" desktop nearly side by side.

Perhaps it's best I stick with this 24" and wait for LED backlighting models to come out at decent prices. But I can't help but think what sitting in front of some heat generating 30" LCD for coding, 3D modeling, general 'puting and gaming would be like. :D Not to mention putting a new DVI-D DL capable KVM to good use (which solved my issue of the 2408 claiming DVI signal loss).

Thanks again for the responses.

what is the difference of running a 1280 x 1024 application, say WordPerfect on a 20" vs. the same application at 1280 x 1024 on a 30"?
would the font size be any difference?

Back