24" Widescreen CRT (FW900) From Ebay arrived,Comments.

ThEMighTyTh0R said:
I just got mine today!!! :D I'm Lovin it!!!!

Question. I currently have a Mitsubushi 2060u 22" crt. It's a great monitor but I'm kinda wanting more. I have a 19" LG lcd also. I am right now trying out a LG 32" lcd-tv on my computer. I like it while gaming but it sucks for surfing the web - very blurry text on small text like here on the [H]. Is the FW900 and FW9012 really worth the money - expecially the outrageous shipping charges compared to other crt and lcd monitors?

ThEMighTyTh0R said:
I just got mine today!!! :D I'm Lovin it!!!!
Where does that door lead? i take it you never open it. lol!

nice setup you got aswell. i see your using your old crt for your x360 tight.

and whats with the black bedsheets? dont like your desk color? lol

very clean, my style. i use to have a real stopsign, but it found its way to the trash when i moved 5~ years ago.

Roberty said:
Question. I currently have a Mitsubushi 2060u 22" crt. It's a great monitor but I'm kinda wanting more. I have a 19" LG lcd also. I am right now trying out a LG 32" lcd-tv on my computer. I like it while gaming but it sucks for surfing the web - very blurry text on small text like here on the [H]. Is the FW900 and FW9012 really worth the money - expecially the outrageous shipping charges compared to other crt and lcd monitors?

Worth it? its a bargain! You can get a 24" FW900 for $470 (shipping included) while most 24" LCD monitors run you about $600 - $700? right? You might even get lucky and find one on ebay for less.

I love this thing! Its perfect for gaming, surfin the web, watchin movies. Everything is clear and crisp. Im even thinking about buying another for my xbox 360

Ryle said:
Where does that door lead? i take it you never open it. lol!

nice setup you got aswell. i see your using your old crt for your x360 tight.

and whats with the black bedsheets? dont like your desk color? lol

very clean, my style. i use to have a real stopsign, but it found its way to the trash when i moved 5~ years ago.

the door leads to a very very small closet, which is filled with boxes of stuff from my old house (I moved 5 years ago lol)

bed sheets? lol nah just 2 plain pieces of black cloth i swiped from my mom. THISis what it looks like underneath

I'm really not that impressed with the text on the fw900 monitor. I think it has something to do with maybe the age of my monitor or the higher dot pich. I have an NEC 22" dot pitch .22 on all corners and center and it looks a lot crisper when I compare it to my fw900. The color and graphics on the fw900 blow the NEC away.

rfisher983 said:
I'm really not that impressed with the text on the fw900 monitor. I think it has something to do with maybe the age of my monitor or the higher dot pich. I have an NEC 22" dot pitch .22 on all corners and center and it looks a lot crisper when I compare it to my fw900. The color and graphics on the fw900 blow the NEC away.

Are you sure the NEC is .22 pitch? The only aperture grille monitor I know of with that fine of a pitch is the 21" Sony F520.

I came from a 21" Sony G520P and the text clarity difference is the same for me (both look great) the FW900 isn't quite as crisp in the corners due to its variable dot pitch its hardly noticeable. Currently running 1600x1024 @ 85hz desktop res.

Are you using BNC or VGA?

mathesar said:
Are you sure the NEC is .22 pitch? The only aperture grille monitor I know of with that fine of a pitch is the 21" Sony F520.

I came from a 21" Sony G520P and the text clarity difference is the same for me (both look great) the FW900 isn't quite as crisp in the corners due to its variable dot pitch its hardly noticeable. Currently running 1600x1024 @ 85hz desktop res.

Are you using BNC or VGA?

I'm not at home so I can tell you the exact model number I believe it is FE1355

http://www.necdisplay.com/corpus/U/C/brochure_FP_series_v2.pdf

Which this is .24

I'm using BNC to DVI on my FW900 w/ 100hz @ 1680x1050

I just got one of these bad boys today.

Question: If I want to use multiple resolutions, how do I "save" each resolution's horizontal/vertical stretch in the monitor, so that the screen stretches all the way to the edges when I change resolutions?

My old hitachi tube had a "Store" button, which would store these settings for each resolution/refresh mode it entered, and it would automatically restore those settings when you changed res's.

Thanks!

SKYY said:
I just got one of these bad boys today.

Question: If I want to use multiple resolutions, how do I "save" each resolution's horizontal/vertical stretch in the monitor, so that the screen stretches all the way to the edges when I change resolutions?

My old hitachi tube had a "Store" button, which would store these settings for each resolution/refresh mode it entered, and it would automatically restore those settings when you changed res's.

Thanks!

[ronco]Just set it... and forget it![/ronco]

You dont need to store anything, just set the geometry and the monitor will remember it the next time something uses that resolition/hz setting.

Heh--I just realized that it's auto, like you said. Thanks.

I don't suppose someone's come up with a list of resolutions with max refresh rates, have they? Or is that published somewhere?

Well, I took the time to play with resolutions and refreshes, and here's what I topped out at for a few common 16:10 ratios, and 1080p:

2304x1440: 85 Hz
1920x1200: 95 Hz
1920x1080: 106 Hz
1600x1000: 100 Hz
1280x800: 125 Hz*
960x600: 125 Hz*

*I didn't test higher than 125Hz, since USB mice don't refresh faster than that anyway (I think)

Anybody with the HP A7217A ever have to take off the case to attach the WinDAS cable? I removed 4 screws and the case is on just as firmly as without the screws.

I am beginning to regret ever buying this hulk. My physical limitations along with my visual disabilities are conspiring to prevent me from using even the easy software fix for this ever increasing brightness issue! :eek:

It's frustrating as all hell to know how to fix something, and to be completely unable to do so. The only flaw my monitor has is threatening to obscure an otherwise flawless picture and turn the beast into a useless pile of junk within the next month.

If I can't get this resolved I hope it at least lasts long enough for me to replace it with a Dell 2407FPW, which will take me until mid-October at the earliest to raise the money for. :(

It's such a shame, considering this monitor, up to this point, has had the best picture of any CRT I have ever seen or owned.

Not sure if the hp is built the same like the fw900 but there are 2 tabs on each side of the monitor between the front and back casing(just look in the gap, they're barely visible), just push them in and seperate then the back casing will come off.

SKYY said:
Well, I took the time to play with resolutions and refreshes, and here's what I topped out at for a few common 16:10 ratios, and 1080p:

2304x1440: 85 Hz
1920x1200: 95 Hz
1920x1080: 106 Hz
1600x1000: 100 Hz
1280x800: 125 Hz*
960x600: 125 Hz*

*I didn't test higher than 125Hz, since USB mice don't refresh faster than that anyway (I think)
It will do 1920 x 1200: 96 Hz. Mine does anyways. Not sure if you tested all the in between resos, just wanted to post that though ;)

saber07 said:
It will do 1920 x 1200: 96 Hz. Mine does anyways. Not sure if you tested all the in between resos, just wanted to post that though ;)

It'll vary between monitor to monitor like you said. My FW900 topped out at 98hz @ 1920x1200

trinitron1.jpg

trinitron2.jpg

:D

I've had mine for about a week now, and so far I love it to death. I got one that was manufactured in Dec. 2002, and is virtually flawless. There's a few small smudges on the plastic that didn't clean off with a damp cloth, and a few very tiny scratches in the antiglare coat that I only noticed once, while the monitor was off and I was cleaning the smudges off the screen when I first set it up. After using the image restore, and a little geometry tweaking, it is damn near perfect. For $325 shipped, I am more than happy :)

UrielDagda said:
Anybody with the HP A7217A ever have to take off the case to attach the WinDAS cable? I removed 4 screws and the case is on just as firmly as without the screws.

I am beginning to regret ever buying this hulk. My physical limitations along with my visual disabilities are conspiring to prevent me from using even the easy software fix for this ever increasing brightness issue! :eek:

It's frustrating as all hell to know how to fix something, and to be completely unable to do so. The only flaw my monitor has is threatening to obscure an otherwise flawless picture and turn the beast into a useless pile of junk within the next month.

If I can't get this resolved I hope it at least lasts long enough for me to replace it with a Dell 2407FPW, which will take me until mid-October at the earliest to raise the money for. :(

It's such a shame, considering this monitor, up to this point, has had the best picture of any CRT I have ever seen or owned.
cant get anyone to help you?
i believe you can get to the hookup for the windas cable without removing the whole bezel.
itsn't it just a small panel that pops out of the back of the monitor on the right hand side?

I've had no luck establishing the cable connection. Confirmed the serial port itself is working and that the cable is correctly physically connected. (Also I took the cover off of the cable to see the chip inside and confirmed that the wires were connected to the chip as they said they were, GND, RXD, and such...)

Any special mode the monitor has to be in for windas to talk to it?

Any special serial port settings?

I don't know what's wrong...

Haste266 said:
cant get anyone to help you?
i believe you can get to the hookup for the windas cable without removing the whole bezel.
itsn't it just a small panel that pops out of the back of the monitor on the right hand side?

There is a small panel, when I open it I can see the port.. but it's about 3 inches inside, and once I stick my finger inside to attach a lead, there is no way to see what I am doing. The cable I have has individual leads to plug in, GND/VCC/RXD/TXD.. I can't get them connected by touch alone.. I have tried... If I could get the bezel off I could just plug them in.. I have tried everything I can think of that doesn't put me in danger of electrocution, and short of destroying the monitor, to get it off.

forcefed said:
Not sure if the hp is built the same like the fw900 but there are 2 tabs on each side of the monitor between the front and back casing(just look in the gap, they're barely visible), just push them in and seperate then the back casing will come off.

I see some tabs, but they don't seem to be attached to the bezel at all, they are just poking out of the metal inside. Does it just remove the plastic backplate? I hesitate to push clips in that I can't see are attached to anything that could cause catastrophic damage to the monitor... This is the only monitor I have at the moment, so ordering a Dell 2407FPW to replace this one in a few months might be a bit difficult if I cannot see to load up the website. :p

I know it sounds like my options are limited. But I am autistic and do best with socializing and doing things on the internet, whereas in real life situations I don't fare as well. Especially with technical hardware issues that most of the people on the forums seem to be able to take care of pretty easily. I can't take it to a repair shop, nor do I know anybody that knows anything about repairing hardware. :(

Hrm all I did was use a screwdriver to get the windas cable plugged into the monitor , I didnt have to remove the casing. Oh plus there was a small plastic cap on top of the connector that I was able to remove, made it easier to get it plugged in.

I used a pair of tweezers and a flashlight to attach the leads. (I had to take the little plastic casings off.)

But I'm a bad example, because I still haven't gotten the cable connection to work...

Got the cable to work.

Happened when I switched the TXD and RXD cables and drove the monitor from video input 1. (Cable outs looked right at the circuit board, but guess they somehow are not or my monitor is reversed back there for some reason...)

I will give tweezers a try.. I had thought of it already, but I don't have any.. They shouldn't be too hard to find. I have no depth perception, so it's still a bit iffy, but I will give it a try.. I don't see why I wouldnt be able to get that to work though.. just as long as I can SEE, unlike with my fat ass fingers in the way! :p

As far as TXD/RXD, I want to be sure, from top to bottom it is GRD/VCC/RXD/TXD right?

My cable also has a 5th lead marked "RTS" also.. Wanted to be sure I get the right ones. :)

i went to look at one locally advertised for 150. it wasn't in very good shape. it had wierd greenish lines horizontally across the screen and looked way too bright. I let it warm up and tried image restoration, and after doing some stuff the monitor stayed off with the power light blinking for a while. i turned it off and turned it on again and it didn't change.

I taped a cut-down to size bamboo skewer stick's butt-end to the end of the windas cable 'plug' , and just inserted it making sure it got onto the pins. Then I pressed it on. Seemed to work pretty well. You could probably cut a small section of a metal hanger to use too, just electric tape it so it doesn't short anything.

UrielDagda said:
I will give tweezers a try.. I had thought of it already, but I don't have any.. They shouldn't be too hard to find. I have no depth perception, so it's still a bit iffy, but I will give it a try.. I don't see why I wouldnt be able to get that to work though.. just as long as I can SEE, unlike with my fat ass fingers in the way! :p

As far as TXD/RXD, I want to be sure, from top to bottom it is GRD/VCC/RXD/TXD right?

My cable also has a 5th lead marked "RTS" also.. Wanted to be sure I get the right ones. :)

Yes, but be prepared to switch the RXD and TXD if it doesn't work. Also, I think the display needs to be showing an image, and maybe that image needs to be coming from input 1/vga rather than the 5 connector BNC input 2.

(Also I had to remove the little black casings on the GRD,VCC, RXD, and TXD cable end connector sockets, leaving just the inside metal part of the sockets inside. This was to get the cable ends to be small enough to fit on the monitor's pins. Your cable might be different though.)

Is the windas cable necessary or are you guys just really discriminating? Do CRTs get brighter as the years go on, or is this a case of the settings not being properly set at the factory/refurb-joint?

my cpd-g400 got pretty bright and all green looking. i ran image restoration and it looks as good as my other g400 that wasn't used nearly as much and still looks great.

SH1 said:
Yes, but be prepared to switch the RXD and TXD if it doesn't work. Also, I think the display needs to be showing an image, and maybe that image needs to be coming from input 1/vga rather than the 5 connector BNC input 2.

(Also I had to remove the little black casings on the GRD,VCC, RXD, and TXD cable end connector sockets, leaving just the inside metal part of the sockets inside. This was to get the cable ends to be small enough to fit on the monitor's pins. Your cable might be different though.)

Well I have tried, no dice.. Since I am right handed, I dont have the surgical precision required to use the tweezers in my left hand.. But since I am blind in my left eye, I can't get an angle to see while using my right hand.. I just can't see what I am doing. Too bad the port isn't on the left side.

For reference the cable I am using is http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=160006186591&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=006

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
UrielDagda said:
Well I have tried, no dice.. Since I am right handed, I dont have the surgical precision required to use the tweezers in my left hand.. But since I am blind in my left eye, I can't get an angle to see while using my right hand.. I just can't see what I am doing. Too bad the port isn't on the left side.

For reference the cable I am using is http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=160006186591&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=006

Oh wow so you have to plug in each wire individually? That looks like a royal pain! ... I ordered the cable from this site and it didnt need any modifications, all I did was remove the small plastic L shaped piece on top (upper right) of the connector to make it fit easier.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
mathesar said:
Oh wow so you have to plug in each wire individually? That looks like a royal pain! ... I ordered the cable from this site and it didnt need any modifications, all I did was remove the small plastic L shaped piece on top (upper right) of the connector to make it fit easier.

The point is pretty moot though.. Do to the fact I have zero depth perception, something that under normal circumstances I never even think about, is proving to make this impossible.. Once I insert the tweezer with the lead into the back of the monitor, I can't see what I am doing.. I can get the lead over the proper pin, but that is it. It seems no matter how far in I go, I can't get far enough in to actually connect it. I had this same problem with attaching the case wires to the mobo with my computer, but at least with that I had enough room to put my whole hand inside and connect it by touch.. With this tiny interface compartment, I can't use touch to compensate for the lack of depth perception.

This is getting so fucking frustrating it's unbelievable. To literally have the solution to a problem and be physically unable to follow through is more frustrating than I can possibly convey in words alone. For at least the next 3-6 months this monitor is all I have to operate this computer with, and my computer is pretty much all I got. I guess I will have to save up and get a Dell 2407FPW, but loathe the thought of spending a hell of a lot of money I really don't have to replace a monitor that would probably last another 2 or 3 years if I could just connect this goddamned thing!

Sorry for dumping all of this frustration on to here, but after all of the contortions, lifting, shoving, pinching, and back pain I have had this past week trying to fix this beast, I am at the end of my rope. That coupled with how much I love this monitor, it's just pissing me off now. I can see the razor sharp text starting to bleed through with excess whiteness, making it difficult to read, and halos around this text box where the black is getting overshadowed by the excessive brilliance of the whites.

And there isn't a goddamned thing I can do to fix it. Still, I thank you for turning me on to this monitor.. I am now a widescreen addict, and proud of it! Widescreen opened up games and text applications in a way normal aspect ratio monitors never could. Especially while writing, where I could have outlines and other text documents on one side of the screen, while having Word opened to a full page on the other.

I would ask somebody if I could send it to them to fix, but there is no way in hell I could move this monolithic monstrosity off of this desk, much less into a box and to a shipping place. And at $100 each way shipping.. My wallet bleeds just thinking of that scenario!

Maybe some multimillionaire [H]ardware enthusiast will read this, hop a plane and come fix it for me! :D

Ah well, we can all dream, can't we? :p

Someone please help - I just installed a new Radeon video card, and no longer have access to any of the optimal resolutions in the drivers (except for 1920x1200 which is just too much). I've installed Sony's monitor drivers and Powerstrip and still cant get the resolution options I want - had no such problem with my previous nVidia card.

Please suggest a way for me to run my fw900 at 1600x1000.

UrielDagda said:
The point is pretty moot though.. Do to the fact I have zero depth perception, something that under normal circumstances I never even think about, is proving to make this impossible.. Once I insert the tweezer with the lead into the back of the monitor, I can't see what I am doing.. I can get the lead over the proper pin, but that is it. It seems no matter how far in I go, I can't get far enough in to actually connect it. I had this same problem with attaching the case wires to the mobo with my computer, but at least with that I had enough room to put my whole hand inside and connect it by touch.. With this tiny interface compartment, I can't use touch to compensate for the lack of depth perception.

This is getting so fucking frustrating it's unbelievable. To literally have the solution to a problem and be physically unable to follow through is more frustrating than I can possibly convey in words alone. For at least the next 3-6 months this monitor is all I have to operate this computer with, and my computer is pretty much all I got. I guess I will have to save up and get a Dell 2407FPW, but loathe the thought of spending a hell of a lot of money I really don't have to replace a monitor that would probably last another 2 or 3 years if I could just connect this goddamned thing!

Sorry for dumping all of this frustration on to here, but after all of the contortions, lifting, shoving, pinching, and back pain I have had this past week trying to fix this beast, I am at the end of my rope. That coupled with how much I love this monitor, it's just pissing me off now. I can see the razor sharp text starting to bleed through with excess whiteness, making it difficult to read, and halos around this text box where the black is getting overshadowed by the excessive brilliance of the whites.

And there isn't a goddamned thing I can do to fix it. Still, I thank you for turning me on to this monitor.. I am now a widescreen addict, and proud of it! Widescreen opened up games and text applications in a way normal aspect ratio monitors never could. Especially while writing, where I could have outlines and other text documents on one side of the screen, while having Word opened to a full page on the other.

I would ask somebody if I could send it to them to fix, but there is no way in hell I could move this monolithic monstrosity off of this desk, much less into a box and to a shipping place. And at $100 each way shipping.. My wallet bleeds just thinking of that scenario!

Maybe some multimillionaire [H]ardware enthusiast will read this, hop a plane and come fix it for me! :D

Ah well, we can all dream, can't we? :p

I have the same cable you have. The trick is to pull the little black casings off of the ends for GND, voltage, RXD, and TXD. There's a tiny little clip on the bottom of each little black casing. Use the tweezers to pull back or break off the clip. After this, the wires and the inside metal clip part will slide out. And then grasp the inside metal socket part with the tweezers and aim it at the target pin in the monitor best that you can. And push in until you feel it slide over the pin. This may take several attempts. And you may have to reverse the RXD and TXD as we previously discussed. But once the casings are off and you've aimed the metal socket at the end of the wire at the target pin -- it's a more a matter of feeling than vision. (I can't really see into that little space either very well...)

Once it's in there, tape the main cable down to the back of the monitor a bit to help keep it from being pulled off...

(Oh...also might want to write down the colors of the wires and what they are before removing the casings...I did....)

Bad Seed said:
Someone please help - I just installed a new Radeon video card, and no longer have access to any of the optimal resolutions in the drivers (except for 1920x1200 which is just too much). I've installed Sony's monitor drivers and Powerstrip and still cant get the resolution options I want - had no such problem with my previous nVidia card.

Please suggest a way for me to run my fw900 at 1600x1000.

Download and use PowerStrip to create a resolution of 1600 by 1024 by 100Hz.

We have exactly the same @ work and i can tell you this screen really rocks !!!!!!
I'll post a picture when i'll return back.

Well, after months of reading this on growing thread I finally bought mine from Accurateitservices on ebay!

my.php

Looks like it came in mint condition very happy with the condition and speed it came in, only took 3 days to deliver....now I just have to wait for my VGA -> BNC cable to arrive tomorrow to plug it in and test it out!

:D

Back