24" Widescreen CRT (FW900) From Ebay arrived,Comments.

I'm having a slight problem with mine now. In the middle of the screen there is a small color difference, that mostly shows with normal text. There are a few parts running from top to bottom that has some contrast difference. I don't really notice it with movies or games, but it's a bit strange when reading.

It's a bit hard to make a good pic from it, but if you look closely some words are darker then others.

Anyone knows what might be the cause of this, or how it can be fixed if possible?

Not sure, I had a smudge of orange in the bottom corner on a red background and fixed it using the "Conv Menu" Option.

Is that Lavalys Everest Ult you are using, if not try using it as a test bed to set up your screen.

1. If anyone is interested I have one that has a scratched bezel (the plastic that surrounds the screen) but a 100% mint screen. This is the Sony FW900 24" CRT. The anti-glare coating, color, focus, contrast levels, and convergence are perfect. The only thing it needs is for the plastic to be sanded and painted. It is a 2003 Model and has been in storage for a few years.

If you are interested in the Sony FW900 message me, I will not ship but you can come and pick it up and I will sell it for $375.00.

2. I also have the HP branded version of this monitor. It has perfect beige plastic on the HP FW900 and the screen color, focus, contrast levels, and convergence are perfect. This one does have a half inch scratch in the lower left corner on the screen in the anti-glare. Not bothersome but still there.

If you are interested in the HP FW900 message me, I will not ship but you can come and pick it up and I will sell it for $275.00.

They are both located in Eau Claire, WI.

Interested in purchasing any branding of this model. Located near Frederick, Maryland if you don't want to ship it out. Please PM me.

24" Silicon Graphics Monitor
About a week ago the image suddenly started looking scrambled. The image is very jumpy in a vertical motion. The colors are fine, but the image is heavily distorted
Can pick this up cheap but is it worth it
Easy fix or not
Thanks

I've adjusted the focus pots through the case and the image is sharper now. But what astounds me, is that if I make black text on a white background as sharp as possible, then white text on a black background comes out slightly blurry. If I fix that the same problem occurs the other way round.

I've adjusted the pots to a medium of the two and it's perfectly fine, it just strikes me as peculiar.

24" Silicon Graphics Monitor
About a week ago the image suddenly started looking scrambled. The image is very jumpy in a vertical motion. The colors are fine, but the image is heavily distorted
Can pick this up cheap but is it worth it
Easy fix or not
Thanks

Sounds like you need a cap kit, from what you described the v-hold or h-hold cap is going out. No reason to just change out one, if your gonna change out a cap, change em all out. Open the monitor, disconnect the board from the tube, ground out a screwdriver (a long one) before using it to discharge the power under the suction cup (or you will be in for the jolt of your life) once you have the board away from the tube, note all the positions of the caps and the ratings on each, order or go pick up some good replacements, and replace them all. The rule of thumb when it comes to monitor repair is when one cap goes, the others aren't far behind. And capacitors as we all know are the most susceptible part to degradation to heat, which is abundant in CRTs. After changing all the caps your picture should look nice and crisp.

Last edited:
*sigh*

With as many problems that my FW900 has had in the past 4-5 months, I'm surprised it lasted this long, but it seems as if the day it goes to the junk heap is close.

The past few months, when I normally turn it on, it would sometimes be out of focus (like looking through frosted glass) for about an hour. Today, however, it's been out of focus all day long. Shutting the power off and turning it back on fixes it for 5-10 seconds, but then it goes right back to being out of focus.

The image fluctuates from just slightly out of focus to the frosted glass look it sometimes had before on start-up.

I almost wish I hadn't bought the thing, becuase now I can't find an LCD I'm happy with to replace it... :(

*sigh*

I almost wish I hadn't bought the thing, becuase now I can't find an LCD I'm happy with to replace it... :(

Heh... looks like your gonna have to go with a plasma display then.....Thats where I'm headed when mine goes out. That is unless of course OLED, or FED are in the market by that time.

I have a 2003 Sony-branded FW900 that I got in a trade... The bezel has some scratches, but the screen works great.

I've never seen a fully calibrated FW900 in action, so I don't know the condition or anything of the picture. It looks a bit blurry compared to my LCD, but it is not bad at all. Games are GORGEOUS.

My asking price is $300, negotiable. I would prefer cash-only, but will do Paypal.

Will ship, but would rather have someone pick up from Atlanta, GA.

PM me if interested! :)

*sigh*

With as many problems that my FW900 has had in the past 4-5 months, I'm surprised it lasted this long, but it seems as if the day it goes to the junk heap is close.

The past few months, when I normally turn it on, it would sometimes be out of focus (like looking through frosted glass) for about an hour. Today, however, it's been out of focus all day long. Shutting the power off and turning it back on fixes it for 5-10 seconds, but then it goes right back to being out of focus.

The image fluctuates from just slightly out of focus to the frosted glass look it sometimes had before on start-up.

I have the same exact problem, except the blurriness seems consistent, but I've never watched it long enough. I'm hoping a higher quality cable might help, I can't imagine it's something you can fix with winDAS

This might have been posted, no idea, but there's a seller on eBay with 9 FW900's left at $85 a pop. Requires local pick up in Lake Bluff, Illinois, however, and they could have damage. The claim is they're all functional with minor cosmetic damage sooo...

Item number is 170321732896.

Wish I lived nearby, I swear I still want one of these, and someday I'm gonna get one. ;)

I have to pay like $900 just to get one. Unless someone here has one and works for ups or fedex and can ship with like 75% discount. Shipping a 30" lcd would be much cheaper for me.

Just picked-up one for free from work. It is cosmetically and functionally perfect. No scratches or other blemishes anywhere. I'll post pics once I get it setup next to my Viewsonic 24" LCD.

This might have been posted, no idea, but there's a seller on eBay with 9 FW900's left at $85 a pop. Requires local pick up in Lake Bluff, Illinois, however, and they could have damage. The claim is they're all functional with minor cosmetic damage sooo...

Item number is 170321732896.

Wish I lived nearby, I swear I still want one of these, and someday I'm gonna get one. ;)

This is the same guy I purchased mine from. They had palets of them months ago. Verry nice guy. They may have more of them with blemishes. Mine the bezel was scratched but the anti glare and screen are top notch!

I use the previous version of Nvidias 3D technology which works up to Geforce 7xxx with Elsa Revelator Shutterglasses. I tested Counter-Strike 1.6, Trackmania and Half-Life2 and some short amateur movies. It is hard to describe but it's definitely a nice effect.
Major drawback is the ghosting. The fade-out isn't fast enough and so there's no gain that our beloved monitor can do HDTV resolutions at 140 Hz and more. The ghosting is less strong at 120 Hz. I think the nvidia shutterglasses are limited to 120 Hz anyway. Can anyone confirm that?
I didn't have the chance to see 3D on a LCD, maybe someone can give a feedback about the quality.

Another question is: how good is the feeling of 3D games or films, will there be a standard, will there be a market?

But...
we are prepared!! ;)

I ordered a SONY GDM-FW9012 Monitor off ebay this weekend. States it a refurbished, but in perfect working condition. Paid $180, but $100 flat shipping. Not supposed to have any noticable scratches on the screen, it did state this. (Will have some blemishing/hairline scratches on the antiglare coating that will not inhibit regular use). If that's true, than I shouldn't have an issue with it. I can't wait =D

Awesome monitor, got mine from accurateit in B condition. Some scratches on the bezel and a small one on the screen, geometry is pretty damn good. I run in sRGB and used QuickGamma for a quick calibration, the picture is incredible.

Yeah, mine was in B Condition as well. If I'm happy with it, I might order another one, since he has 5 left in stock. He hasn't shipped it yet and the type of shipping we have to use, it probably won't be until next week.

after all of my LCD problems, I'm considering getting one of these. Kind of worried about what condition it's really in though.

I'd like to try out windas for some fine tuning, will I be able to run windas on my macbook pro? The fw900 is connected through DVI-to-VGA.

I don't get how anyone that is wanting the quality of a FW900 would be satisfied with any type of screen defect. An antiglare coating scratch is far more noticable IMHO than a stuck/dead pixel.

Scratches in the AR coating are often invisible when the screen is on. It is only when certain things are being displayed that they show up. I have a couple relatively long scratches on my AR coating, but I honestly struggle to find them most of the time.

Besides if you really find them annoying there are methods you can use to try and fill them, or you can just remove the AR coating.

If you get a USB-serial converter, you could probably dual boot into windows xp using bootcamp and use windas from there, as windas needs a serial port to function. I've used a windas cable w/ a USB-serial converter under windows XP just fine. Just make sure your windas cable is wired correctly, as when I got mine the guy who wired it up mixed the Rx/Tx signal wires.

As for ripping off the coating, yeah it's an option, in fact one I exercised, but I'd advise against doing it if you can get a screen w/out scratches on the coating, because it really helps block annoying reflections - e.g. your face on dark parts of the screen. It's less noticeable if you have a darkened room.

Speak of bad luck, last night my newly purchased fw900 got waaay too bright! It had such a beautiful picture just a few days ago, not sure what could have caused this to happen, it was after I changed resolutions / refresh rates I believe. Anyway I'll be sending this back for a replacement =(

Speak of bad luck, last night my newly purchased fw900 got waaay too bright! It had such a beautiful picture just a few days ago, not sure what could have caused this to happen, it was after I changed resolutions / refresh rates I believe. Anyway I'll be sending this back for a replacement =(

I seriously doubt that cause it, either it was ready to go or its simply needed a Colour Restore done.

Read this thread or manual for how to do it (.PDF is avail).

Wow somehow my color-management for windows7 and quickgamma loading on startup conflicted and sent my picture outta whack, I switched to a different VGA cable and reset all the color settings to default, uninstalled quickgamma and the picture looks amazing again. However,

PROBLEM: Now the monitor is detected as Non-PnP and uses a shitty driver. I installed the Sony GDM-FW900 driver that comes built in with windows7/vista, and it shows up in devices but it has no effect, the monitor appears to still be using Non-PnP drivers.

Got the drivers working things look much better..

Should I do some windas adjustments before calibrating (I'm thinking of buying the huey pro). The reason I ask is I currently get a nice deep black level but in order to distinguish black levels from calibration pictures on the net I have to crack brightness up from 29 to around 40, at which point the screen is just too bright. Would lowering G2 in windas fix this?

lowering G2 will not fix that. you just need to find the right balance for contrast and brightness.

Black level is actually unacceptable (was used to my LCD but can clearly see the brightness behind black) so ill be doing windas.

I followed the instructions on gregua/windas/ website but can't seem to get TransDll.dll RegDll.dll and LimitDll.dll files. Could someone send these to me, my e-mail is [email protected].

Hey, if anyone here wants a TV, and lives around Lake Buff IL, USA or has a friend there, I found this on ebay.

tinyurl[dot]com/d6l2xd

[Buy it now] $85.00 for a Sony GDM-FW900. Only catch, it's pick up only. There are 9 available at the time of this posting. From auction: "These all came in off lease. They all have been tested and work great. They all will have good screens, but may have some labels or scratches in the plastic bezel."

Hope someone can get in on this deal, because I live too far away :(

So are there any negative effects of running this monitor at 2560 x 1600 @ 68Hz aside from the low refresh being a strain on the eyes?

Hey, if anyone here wants a TV, and lives around Lake Buff IL, USA or has a friend there, I found this on ebay.

tinyurl[dot]com/d6l2xd

[Buy it now] $85.00 for a Sony GDM-FW900. Only catch, it's pick up only. There are 9 available at the time of this posting. From auction: "These all came in off lease. They all have been tested and work great. They all will have good screens, but may have some labels or scratches in the plastic bezel."

Hope someone can get in on this deal, because I live too far away :(

Going to try and pick one up to day. Will let everyone know how it goes.

Menace

So are there any negative effects of running this monitor at 2560 x 1600 @ 68Hz aside from the low refresh being a strain on the eyes?
Since the monitor doesn't actually have enough physical pixels to display that resolution, you will lose some detail.

However this is a double edged sword when playing games, as it's kind of like a poor mans AA.

Also since the refresh rate is only 68Hz, you're limited to 68fps, which isn't desireable in fast paced games.

Picked up my monitor today and I have to say I'm not so happy:( Black just isn't black, especially when I compare it to some of the other monitors I own, sony gdm 520, viewsonic p95f+,and a benq fp241w. I have played around with it for about 2hrs and still not happy, just doesn't look as good as the gdm 520or any of the other ones. Tried both the BCN and vga hook ups nether one helps. If anyone knows how to fix the black levels please let me know have tried to read through this post but it's just to big.

TIA Menace

Back