2405 mouse cursor lag

jup having exactly the same here (ati card though). I instantly notice cause i have the 2405 and a 17" crt side by side. On the crt its smooth and direct, on the 2405 (or probably any lcd) its slow and has lag. I kinda helped it with boosting the usb rate to 500 and putting the slider in display properties-advanced-troubelshooting from full right to two tads to the left. Still I'm experiencing some sort of lag ingame. Though this lag is far more noticable in quake 3 then in cs:source. Maybe formatting my system will help though I don't really feel like doing that just to find out it didn't work :(.

How do you boost the USB rate. I find this quite baffling how the display is causing cursor lag. I had a 23" Apple display, same resolution, and noticed nothing of the sort.

This lag might be related to the display lag issue mentioned in the big thread, although that hasn't been confirmed yet. It would explain a lot of things if it did though.

If so though, it would place firm bounds on the scope of the lag (16-32ms).

Well if that's the case then I'm gonna have to sell this thing on ebay and try yet another screen. It's totally unacceptable.

Well I've tried everything and the mouse still doesn't feel right to me. Turning off hardware cursor makes it much better, but like I said, that causes other problems. I tried connecting the DVI connection from my 12" powerbook also and the same lag remains. I'm just going to have to sell this screen and find something else. It's a shame too because the picture is so beautiful and there are no dead pixels. Maybe I'll try Samsung's own version of this panel.

you need a better mouse. I noticed lag on mx1000.

Before I return the monitor I would try the razor diamondback (what I use) or try the new logitech mx518.

With the razer I have absoletly NO mouse lag.

Good luck.

argoldst said:
you need a better mouse. I noticed lag on mx1000.

Before I return the monitor I would try the razor diamondback (what I use) or try the new logitech mx518.

With the razer I have absoletly NO mouse lag.

Good luck.

I have a diamondback and I get the lag. If I turn off mouse acceleration it fixes it in windows but in some games I still get it. HL2 has no lag but Far Cry and Splinter Cell Chaos Theory has it.

I've tried my old Intellimouse Explorer wired mouse and notice the same lag. I'll bring another mouse home from work today and try that too. My MX1000 was fine before the 2405fpw. I also notice the lag when booting into safe mode, so I doubt reinstalling windows is going to fix anything. I can't imagine what the problem is.

try removing your videocard drivers and then reboot without any drivers installed. When i changed my viddrivers the moment there wasn't any driver installed except the default windows one, my mouse was smooth like it had been on crt. Have no idea how to fully fix this problem though. Hopefully a format will do since i'm about to do that in a few weeks anyway.

Well I went home and tried uninstalling the drivers. It made the mouse feel overly sensitive. Maybe this is because I am used to it lagging. I'll keep on fiddling with it, but my patience won't last much longer before this thing is on the for sale forum and I move on to my next monitor.

hey guys,
im in the market for this monitor and i just wanted to know if a lot of people are getting this lag on this monitor. Just to make a note of it i have a Geforce2 MX/MX 400. Do you guys think i will notice lag with this video card. I use a Intelli mouse Explorer.

thanks

ctishue said:
I've tried my old Intellimouse Explorer wired mouse and notice the same lag. I'll bring another mouse home from work today and try that too. My MX1000 was fine before the 2405fpw. I also notice the lag when booting into safe mode, so I doubt reinstalling windows is going to fix anything. I can't imagine what the problem is.
Just a thought. Have you got the USB cable from the monitor to the PC, enabling the media card readers? Try unplugging that if its plugged in.

Try your intellimouse explorer in your PS/2 port (if you have one). I have one of them in a PS/2 port and cannot see any lag, though I don't do any intense gaming. You have still got your adaptor have you?

Hope that helps,
Tony.

It's not a USB issue. I've always used the ps/2 adapter (with the port sampling set to 200hz), and I'm still affected.

For the record, I am using an MX1000.

I am also using an MX1000 and am having mouse issues... every so often my mouse gets "stuck" (for a mili-second) when i move up quickly - it only happens SOMETIMES -- not all the time - which is strange, i don't think it's the screen, more likely mouse, graphics card or resolution (maybe) ?

a better mouse than the mx1000? i love this mouse.. until this issue :(

Who knows...I might have never noticed it either if I didn't go looking for it...sigh

Hmm,

I wonder if the RF transmissions are getting flooded due to the high resolution distances being transmitted when you move the mouse on a high res panel like the 2405. I don't know whether you can re-position the receiver but it could be worth trying to rule out electro-magnetic interference.

I was thinking about getting a MX1000 too, but I think I'll wait for a Bluetooth version (their current BT model doesn't fit in my hand well and the buttons are awkward). Or maybe even a MS one if they bother producing one that's properly BT compatible.

Tony.

P.S the 2405 looks like it has an approx. 1.5/100th second delay showing image frames (see last couple of pages in the big 2405 thread).

Here's what I've noticed...when I first got the 2405...minor, but consistent mouse cursor lag...but I've gotten used to it. BUT, when I am working in Flash, I noticed a very large lag in work flow screen updating...I didn't have but a couple of components on the stage, but I had about 20 lines of code in the actionscript area...when I would select something, like a keyframe, then try to go down and select some text in the actionscript area to modify, there was considerable lag...like 1/2-1 second lag...this considerable slowed my workflow. Now, when working in Word, Excel, 3dsmax 4, Premiere, etc....no additional screen lag other than the mouse movement.
System: duall 800 PIIIs, 1 G RAM, wildcat 4110 card, output thru dvi to one 2405, scsi 10K rpm hd...resolution set to 1280x1024 (max that the wildcat will handle...still waiting for my new system which has up to date specs)
THEN, I just recently changed my res to 1024x768 and the flash issues are all but gone, still have mouse cursor lag, but it is slightly better (less laggy) than res set to 1280x1024.
I've gotten used to this, but thought there might be something with Flash and resolution related to this. Maybe someone else can confirm with Flash and highre resolutions...as I am still waiting for my new system to do any further testing.
Oh yeah, mouse = regular old intellimouse, with wheel, ps/2 very old, but i like it.
J

i just tested flash mx 2004 here and i notice no problems. not with small flash files nor with huge ones. My best guess right now is that it would be a video driver issue don't you think?

that's what I'm hoping...once I get my new system, I can check for sure...but it is probably the video driver...thanks for double checking with Flash.
J

What happens if you drop to lower resolutions? Is the lag still present? I own a 6800GT and something like this would throw me off buying one of these :(

peacetilence said:
What happens if you drop to lower resolutions? Is the lag still present? I own a 6800GT and something like this would throw me off buying one of these :(

It seems like it may be a driver issue of some kind. I'm going to try a reformat this weekend and see if that clears it up. I'm due for one anyway. It's odd that it can strike all kinds of systems though, no matter what the mouse or vid card. It doesn't happen in WoW or HL2, but I get it in SC Chaos Theory and Farcry.....odd. A lower resolution doesn't seem to change anything.

peacetilence said:

1280x1024, 1024x768, 800x600 cursor lag very close to the same...if not the same with each change. It's really not that bad (with exception of working in Flash...that was kind of bad...but I mainly work in 3dsmax and it works great there...maybe Flash using the a driver differently or something because it gets drastically worse only in Flash (version MX 2004)), you get used to it...the only reason I'm inquiring is to see if it can be improved...I don't think it would deter me from buying it, my understanding is with any new piece of hardware, there is a 70% chance (my opinion) there is going to be something that will keep it from being perfect to you....just my 2 cents.
J

jfharper said:
1280x1024, 1024x768, 800x600 cursor lag very close to the same...if not the same with each change. It's really not that bad (with exception of working in Flash...that was kind of bad...but I mainly work in 3dsmax and it works great there...maybe Flash using the a driver differently or something because it gets drastically worse only in Flash (version MX 2004)), you get used to it...the only reason I'm inquiring is to see if it can be improved...I don't think it would deter me from buying it, my understanding is with any new piece of hardware, there is a 70% chance (my opinion) there is going to be something that will keep it from being perfect to you....just my 2 cents.
J

This issue has nothing to do with Flash. There is a bit over 3/100 of a second lag at any resolution. There is no way to get it lower. It is much worse with Composite input.... I don't know about Component.

(my issue with Flash is that 100FPS movies don't run at 100 FPS inside the browser.... nothing to do with the monitor)

Has anyone with a Nvidia 6800 card ever fixed this completely? I can still feel the lag. This is especially true after I've been using my work pc all day on which the mouse doesn't lag at all.

There is a bit over 3/100 of a second lag at any resolution.

Man, if you can feel 30ms of lag, you're superhuman. Human reaction time is an order of magnitude higher than that. That said, I've never noticed this lag you speak of, but then again, I'm on Linux, I'm not a gamer, and I use a trackball...

Have you made sure that when you compare to your CRT, you have the CRT running at 60Hz?

I have noticed that the mouse can feel slightly laggier simply due to the fact that its position is refreshed every 1/60 of a second as opposed to 1/85 of a second or faster. Run your CRT at 60Hz and see if it has the same lagginess as the LCD.

On my 2405 and GeForce 6800 GT, I had to disable the hardware mouse because I had the mouse lag problem. Once I did that, I have had no problems, and I'm very picky when it comes to these types of things, but I do notice the mouse feeling slightly more responsive when I am on an 85Hz refresh rate CRT, but the difference is minimal.

I use my 2405's with MX518's.. I use an MX1000 on an HP2335L and a Logitech MX900 Bluetooth on Samsung 172X's

All feel approx. the same in gaming.. I notice no better or worse lag.

Man, I just ordered this monitor today! I thought most people were happy with theirs. I heard about a problem using the VGA connects... but you guys surely aren't doing that right?

Personally? I wouldn't worry about it. I haven't heard many people mention anything about lag with the 2405FPW. On the other hand, people were complaining about lag with the MX1000 on AMD machines over on Anandtech. I'm convinced that its all just mental.

In any case, you've got a 21-day guarantee from Dell. So put the lag issue out of your mind, and if you do notice anything untoward after you get the monitor, well, you can return it very easily. They'll even pick it up for free. Don't go looking for things to nitpick about, though, I have this feeling some people are finding things that aren't even there.

Back