2407FPW, 2707FPW, or 37" Westinghouse? Gaming Monitor

Venthos

Weaksauce
So i've been patiently waiting for the 2407FPW to release, having previously waivered between a few and decided upon buying that one when it released.

However, upon hearing about the 2707FPW, i'm all confuddled again.

I'm looking to upgrade from my old 19" KDS CRT and go widescreen LCD. I've got a decent machine at my finger tips (X2 4800+, 2GB Memory, 7800 GTX KO) and I need a sexy LCD to go with it.

The primary use of the monitor would be for gaming, ranging from World of Warcraft to FEAR. However movies/TV shows and coding would come in a close 2nd.

Seeing as the 3 monitors i've cited all run virtually the same resolution (with the dells at 1920x1200 and the westinghouse at 1920x1080). It comes down to how big the individual "pixels" are and the quality of picture as a result.

I recently took a look at a westinghouse 37" at my local best buy, and I have to say that's one sexy screen. I could instantly tell the crispness of the picture over the standard HDTV's around it that were running resolutions in the something x 700 neighborhood.

However with no dell screens in the immediate area to compare against, i'm wondering if the picture only becomes more crisp when the physical size of the screen is shrunk while keeping the same resolution.

Does anyone here have experience with a 2405FPW against a 37" westinghouse? When does a screen become "too big" for a given resolution when its intended use is for a computer? I've been allocating funds for a new monitor for a while, so anything $2,000 and below would be satisfactory. However the Dell 30" is out of the question, I refuse to basically be required to dump funds on every new latest'n'greatest SLI combo to maintain reasonable framerates in my games at such a high resolution.

I guess I need to go take another gander at the westinghouse to see its feasablity as a computer monitor (I wouldn't enjoy having to have to physically turn my head to see parts of the screen), but the goal here is to find the "sweet spot" where I am getting the best picture quality possible for a ~1920x~1200 display at the biggest size possibly without losing noticeable quality.

Any recommendations or ideas would be greatly appreciated. It's been hard enough being patient for the 2407FPW, I cringe at the release date of the 2707FPW.

-Venthos

I would recommend the Westinghouse. Just get it locally and return it if you end up not liking it. I had the 2405FPW - nice monitor. But after having used this thing for a while I just can't go back to a smaller screen. The pixel density is fine with me - it's not as sharp as the 2405FPW ofcourse but it still looks good. I would turn MS ClearType on if you try one out and that will help a great deal. Games look spectacular (especially FPS w/AA turned on) and movies do as well, though I suggest feeding it a 1080i/720p .mpg or HDTV signal. Regular DVDs don't look so hot, same as on any larger display, because of their pathetic resolution.

We have a 37" Westinghouse at work, and I'm not impressed with it. The response time is noticably slow when you first turn it on. After it's been on for a while, and it warms up it gets better, but it still is kinda iffy. I should point out that we're using a live HD camera as the source when I make these comments.

Venthos said:
When does a screen become "too big" for a given resolution when its intended use is for a computer? ......
The (2560x1600 rez) Dell 30" is out ... I refuse to dump funds on every new latest'n'greatest SLI combo, to maintain reasonable fps in games......
The goal is to find "sweet spot" .....Best Possible Picture Quality @ ~1920x~1200 rez @ Biggest Size Possible
Ventho, amen to that----my sentiments too.
I'm no pro, so these are only my observations n' opinions......

I went to BB and looked at the new 37" 1080p Westinghouse LCD (~$1700).
It was running (I think) a "1080p signal" (1080p is a 1920x1080 rez).
The Game pic was real fine----way better than all the nearby "720P" LCDs (1366x720 rez ??).
Next, I looked real close-up at the Westy's screen. Its 2,073,600 pixels (multiply 1920x1080) are visible, but they're very tiny, n' close together.
That's good, it's 'why' the 37" Westy has a nice pic @ 1920x1080.

True, its not as good as my 23" HP @1920x1200.
HP's 2,304,000 pixels on its 23" screen are so tiny, so packed together they're invisible; the screen is like smooth white paper.
But still, that Westy pic is real good. IMHO anyone who buys it will be happy-----if their PC desk n' area has enough room so they can sit several feet from Westy's gigantic screen.
I don't, so I pass on 37" Westy.

And for same reason, I pass on the huge 30" Dell and also for its high $2.2K price.
And also, for its 2560x1600 rez which requires I do major $$pc-upgrade$$------on top of that $2.2K.
Yes, I agree I could run 1920x1200 till I got the "upgrade-$$" but why buy Today what I can't use Today?

So now I'm looking for the "sweet spot" for Gamers who have smaller desk-area, but want a huge 1920x1200 LCD monitor for way under 2K------without having to $$upgrade-PC$$ in order to run the LCD "full bore".
And the new Dell 27" 2707 1920x1200 LCD looks like IT.
Some reasons why .....

The gigantic 37" Westy's 2,073,600 pixels give a fine screen pic at 1920x1080 rez.
The huge Dell 27" 2707 1920x1200 Widescreen (a giant compared to my 23" HP L2335 Widescreen) has even more pixels than Westy's 2,073,600.
2707 has 2,304,000 pixels packed in smaller-area which means "finer pic-detail" than Westy pic.
And it'll prolly be less$$ than Westy.
IMO, out of all new giant Widescreen LCD's now entering market----Dell's new 27" 2707 looks like "The Gamer's Choice" (hm, sound familiar? :D ) .

I'm tending to agree. Forgot the fact that the 2707FPW has more pixels than the Westinghouse. Just makes me sigh that I had finally decided upon the 2407FPW and was unpatiently waiting and whining for it to release (I even wrote a script that checks every 30 minutes to see if it has released yet that will immediately email me), and now i'm ending up deciding on the 2707FPW which no one has a release date for yet... and the 2407FPW release is just around the corner.

Yay... time to reconfigure that script for the 2707FPW and get anxious all over again.

Ah well, I've delt with this 19" CRT for over 5 years, I can deal with it for a few more months.

COME ON 2707FPW! DADDY NEEDS A NEW DISPLAY!

-Venthos

Venthos said:
I'm tending to agree. Forgot the fact that the 2707FPW has more pixels than the Westinghouse. Just makes me sigh that I had finally decided upon the 2407FPW and was unpatiently waiting and whining for it to release (I even wrote a script that checks every 30 minutes to see if it has released yet that will immediately email me), and now i'm ending up deciding on the 2707FPW which no one has a release date for yet... and the 2407FPW release is just around the corner.

Yay... time to reconfigure that script for the 2707FPW and get anxious all over again.

Ah well, I've delt with this 19" CRT for over 5 years, I can deal with it for a few more months.

COME ON 2707FPW! DADDY NEEDS A NEW DISPLAY!

-Venthos

1st.

how do you know that release date is 'right around the corner' ? You saw what happened with the whole 'Feb 24th' bs.

2nd

Hook us up with this script too, so we can be alerted!!!

thenixhex311 said:
Hook us up with this (27" DELL 2707WFP) script too, so we can be alerted!!!
lol. :D Venthos, since your a coder, could u program a "Dell 2707 Latest News" thread, that "auto-updates" itself every day? wow. :D

BTW, for those interested, check out link below.
It looks like Dell will use "LTM270M1" panel in the new 27" 2707.
Dell's a big Samsung customer and this is the only new 27" 1920x1200 LCD panel I know of.
I also see, Samsung has removed the comment: "In Production Q1 '06" and some other details, like which ones have "DVI-D".
All details were listed last week, when I visited.
Maybe, Samsung has heard all the noisy "2007 / 2407 / 2707 Yakking" we've been doing here at Hard forum? lol.
Notice also that new 'S-PVA' panels are beginning to replace the old 'PVA' panels.
Here's the link .......
http://www.samsung.com/Products/TFTLCD/common/product_list.aspx?family_cd=LCD07

Rishy said:
hold the phone.. is the 2707 even CONFIRMED coming out ? :confused:
No. Its talk, rumor.
New hardware is often "rumored on the web" months before officially-announced.
Today I poked around, reading old posts at Anandtech and Widescreengaming websites----looking for who started the rumors.

The rumor about "a 30" and a 27" are coming soon" seems to have come from 2 guys at 2 sites last Nov--Dec.
And 2 months later, in time-frame predicted, the 30" Dell appeared.
This makes their credibility looks good for the 27".

Here's an old Thread from last Fall I dug up at Anandtech forum.
Scroll down to posts around mid-November, reading, and you'll see Post by a guy who started the rumor there'll soon be a 30" and a 27".
http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=27&threadid=1739441&enterthread=y

To locate the other dude, go to Widescreengaming and look for a post written approx 5 Dec by guy who worked at Dell and said he saw a 30" and predicted it would come 1Q-'06, and I think he also mentioned a 27".
Bottom Line:
These guys were right about the Dell 30".
IMO they'll prolly be right about the Dell 27" :D

well nuts...

i think the 2707 would be a good in between for 2407 and 3007....

i THINK....

Rishy said:
i think the 2707 would be a good in between for 2407 and 3007
So do I. And so does Punisher77 and others (I believe).
But Widescreengamingforum is raining on our parade.
They have doubts about "image quality" of the entire "07" series (2007, 2407, 2707).
Reason: they don't much like PVA or S-PVA (I forget which). They show pics.

BTW, the Dell guy who posts there says 2007 and 2407 will hit market "4--12 March".
He shows a big chart of Specs right there in the thread.

Anyway, about "image quality" I think they're wrong (at least I hope so).
Read carefully the entire thread they have at Widescreen.....
http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3240

How far back must you sit to properly view a 37" monitor?
3 feet?

As far a gaming monitors go, IMO 30 Inches is the max you should ever need to go. 24" seems like the perfect size. You are sitting in front of the monitor, not laid back on your bed (though if you have a wireless set up you could.. ) playing.

I guess I may be a bitter that I only have a 2005FPW. :confused:

About 3' is a good distance to sit back from a 37".

I love playing CSS and FarCry on this thing. The huge screen size is just awesome. And w/AA turned on it looks beautiful.

If you were going to spend that much on the Westy, why aren't you considering the Dell 3007 that's already out that can be had for ~1700 on ebay?

As previously mentioned, I'm not in the market to purchase a screen that requires me to buy the latest'n'greatest SLI combo virtually anytime the next new game releases just to maintain tolerable framerates in it.

Besides. The Westinghouse is bigger anyway. And bigger is better. lol

The pixel density at 1920x1080 isn't comparable to the 3007 that's true but IMO it is pretty sharp. You'll only notice the individual pixels on the Westinghouse if you stick your nose up on it.

Which you will never do, cause you will need about 3 feet of distance to beable to get the whole screen in your view.

Back