24in Non-TN Displays <$500... SOL?

LyL18

Limp Gawd
Ive been in the 24" market for about 2 weeks now, and I think I've decided to go against getting a TN display as I had previosly planned to get (Gateway FHD2400). My main reason for this is I plan on doing alot of gaming on Xbox360 with 2+ players.

I have set a $500 limit on my purchase. (If all else fails I'm sure I would be able to throw another $50ish)

Are there any displays out there that are *VA in this price range? I have not found one.

I was excited to find the BenQ G2400W (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824014158) but I found 1 post saying it was TN panel unlike all other BenQ panels. Can anyone confirm this? (I do not see any tip-offs in the specs myself)

Sub-question: How are TN panel horizontal viewing angles compared to a *VA? I suppose I could settle with a TN and hope whoever I am playing with can slouch to my slouch :)

The LG L246 is a S-IPS Panel. However, it is 600 dollars at Best Buy. Newegg has it at 630.

However, there is still an option. If you browse ebay and snag one of the 10-12% off coupons for Best Buy for a couple bucks, that would drop the price of the LG down to 530-540, which is within your budget.

I don't know any other monitors off hand that have higher quality panels, but am going to quote one of my other posts.

I don't have much experience with the LCD's you are talking about, but here's an idea to help with the viewing angle problems.

http://www.ergotron.com/Products/De...t/mid/396/PRDID/9/language/en-US/default.aspx

This arm allows you to tilt, turn extend, raise and rotate your monitor pretty much any way you need to. It was designed for LCD's 22" and under, weighing less than 18 pounds, but I think if you just tighten down the allen screws, it should be fine. (An impromptu poll of newegg saw several 24" monitors weighting about 20 pounds. If the stand is removable on the monitor, that can shave some weight off.) I own two of these arms, and love the quick easy adjustability they give the monitors. It's easy to change the position of the screen to adjust for different viewing angles. It also raises the monitors to a more comfortable viewing height.
However, it does need a table thin enough to clamp to. I don't know about your furniture situation, but I think it's limit is about 2 inches. There is also an option for screwing it into the table, but that may not work with your situation.
The arm is about 80 before shipping.

If that doesn't look like it would work, you might also look a this.

http://www.ergotron.com/Products/De...mid/396/PRDID/126/language/en-US/default.aspx

This stand replaces the one on the monitor, and allows for height adjustment, rotation and tilt. It doesn't tilt very far forward, but it's better than most stands that come with the monitor. Again, this stand will require you to remove the stand that came with the monitor, which you may or may not feel like doing.
This is about 50

Disclaimer: I don't work for ergotron, I just use and like their products.

Hopefully this helped, or at least gave you some ideas.

Hope that helps you in your search.

Funny enough i already own the Ergotron LX model. Got it over the holidays. I havnt been able to try it out with my current screen. But it does not cure the problem of 2+ people looking at the screen from different angles.

However, it does appear i have found a decent candidate.
A less popular LCD: DoubleSight DS-245W (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824185005)

quote from TFTCentral
The DoubleSight DS-245W uses the same Samsung S-PVA panel as the Dell 2407WFP so performance should be pretty comparable between the two. Build quality, features and design will be different of course. The 6ms G2G Samsung S-PVA panels are pretty responsive, but not quite as fast as the top end RTC-enabled TN Film panels like that in the VX922. In fact, the VX922 is one of the most responsive panels on the market.

Also poster Phrozt has a good review of it on TFTCentral
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1196465145

I have considered this screen. Its a TN display plus it has issues crushing blacks. Its still on the ballot though. I appreciate the input!

I have considered this screen. Its a TN display plus it has issues crushing blacks. Its still on the ballot though. I appreciate the input!

Wrong.

It's an MVA panel and has little to no issue crushing blacks.

You are misinformed.

Wrong.

You are misinformed.

Thank you for this correction... I have either researched too many panels to remember or i just suck :p Now that i think of it, i think i knew it was MVA at one point. ugh

Wrong.

You are misinformed.

Every va panel I have seen has problems with blacks, and the westinghouse is no different. I don't know if you have ever seen an ips screen, but when you compare the blacks the ips is much better. Va blends all the dark grays/blacks.

Every va panel I have seen has problems with blacks, and the westinghouse is no different. I don't know if you have ever seen an ips screen, but when you compare the blacks the ips is much better. Va blends all the dark grays/blacks.

Thanks captain obvious.

However, the OP is looking for the best 24'' monitor he can find for <$500.

If he's expecting an IPS he needs to wake up and realize that's not going to happen. The Westinghouse is like $350 after rebates or $360 at a B&M store so you can return easily w/o shipping and has an MVA over all of the monitors with TN in the similar price-range.

Thanks captain obvious.

However, the OP is looking for the best 24'' monitor he can find for <$500.

If he's expecting an IPS he needs to wake up and realize that's not going to happen. The Westinghouse is like $350 after rebates or $360 at a B&M store so you can return easily w/o shipping and has an MVA over all of the monitors with TN in the similar price-range.

Who pissed in your cereal? You said that mva had little to no issue with crushing blacks. This is not true any -va panel has a problem with blacks, and then you contradict yourself by agreeing with me? (Captain obvious)

If he's expecting an IPS he needs to wake up and realize that's not going to happen.

I am awake, and realize that IPS quality is out of my price range.

So the question now becomes if S-PVA > MVA. If the colors/viewing angles are very similar i think ill take the ~$90 and get the Westy. Otherwise I'll get the DoubleSight which looks just as if not more promising than the Westy (It could be a case that the Westy is has lot more user opinions on the internet)

Back