24inchers dilemma

|Leviathan|

Limp Gawd
Ok so unluckily I live in a European country and after months of contemplation - i've have finally upgraded my system (see my signature)

What still remains is an apt 24incher for my setup and well here comes trouble...

Unfortunately prices in Europe are much steeper when compared to US in monitors especially
For example theres just no way i can get a dell 2407 for the same price available in US - (roughly costs $1250) or a Samsung 244T (roughly costs $1500) or an LGL245/6 (roughly costs $1200) - as you can see prices are way over exaggerated

So next Saturday the 10th I'm going on a tour to a city filled with electronics complexes and see all the monitors for myself and simply buy one.

Now i've read and searched and read and searched again over maybe all 24inchers available at the moment and as a rough draft I ended up with this list:
  • Samsung 245B ($730)
  • LG L245/6WP ($1200)
  • Viewsonic VX2435WM ($950)
  • Benq FP241W ($1250)
  • Acer AL2416BW ($700)
  • Packard Bell Maestro 240W ($730)
  • Dell 2407 FPW-HC ($1250)
(Prices are a rough estimate converted from EUR to USD)

So ... now I think you can understand why I said 'unfortunately' in the beginning of this post xD

Seeing the prices here - from personal opinions and especially from personal experiences - which of these do you suggest my friends?

(As for myself let me point out these facts:-
- I would love the Dell since it is most probably the most popular 24incher out there although there are some issues apparently with the HC version
- I would love even more the LG245/6 as I like very much its outer design and well of course I can't just ignore almost all the positive reviews and user citations i came along
- I wouldn't mind the Samsung 245B issues (i think ... thats why i'm going to see them all for myself) so since its the almost cheapest amongst the list i'm a little bit tempted
- I would definitely not want the Acer since it looks like *hit, and i mean both as display picture and with physical design
- I currently own a viewsonic, and i like their products but i really don't like their 24incher physical design somehow (at least from the pictures)
- I just listed the Packard Bell there since its cheap and I didn't find any reviews for it so maybe some one here own it and can relate his experience )

Ok thats enough of a long post - please let me know your opinions asap considering my current situation (and considering that well its going to be quite expensive and i don't really have an endless pocket you know)

So thanks to all in advance - oh and btw reply fast! xD i need to have a 'common user preference' by fri 9th

cheers

ouch....thats rough man. that really sucks....just wow is all i can say.

given that if you want 24" i'd get the 245BW. yes its TN, but its about the best TN there is. if you can handle the drawbacks it really is a good monitor. for what you're paying...i like to hang onto my cash lol.

maybe you should try ordering outside of the continent if possible?? not sure how that works for you - if at all. i hate to say it but ebay? best of luck.

:(:(:(:(:(

i know :~(

thanks for the support - but i need a 24incher xD

with my card it feels like i have a mclaren slr engine inside an old vw beetle body .. so you know xD

anyway i've put away enough money from a months pay (i think there's still aprox $1600k left) to sponsor this deal so its now or never (but i dont want to spend all of them on a monitor you know~)

and thanks for the suggestions - i'm strongly considering the sammy, actually its the main reason why i'm going to see them personally just to see how bad this thing ppl say about viewing angles etc is

maybe i can get some kind of discount on the lg but who knows we'll see

more more xD

In this dilemma myself, except my prices aren't even that in USD. I'm hard pressed to think you converted backwards.:-P It would cost me like 430$ USD for the samsung etc.

Anyway really depends on what you are using it for. However I would say stick it out, there are lots of rumors about dell replacing the 3007HC with a 3008HC.. I would not be shocked if they updated the 2407 with a 2408 as well (They're well aware of the issues with the panel)

Honestly if I were you and I was dropping that kind of cash, I'd hold out just a little longer (no more than a month for 2 reasons) Reason 1: Late November early December dell is going to run deals hard, more so in December to turn out their quarter profits. To, its the holiday season, sales sales sales.

The nice thing about the Dell is you know no matter what you're not going to get screwed if you're unhappy with it. Unlike e-tailers if theres even 1 dead pixel, you can RMA it.

If you don't want to wait, and you play console games at all, go for the Benq. However if you aren't going to play console games at all on it and just use it for a monitor, AND can tolerate the lack of DVI ( by using HDMI-DVI conversion) and understand that your monitor will not go into sleep and you have to turn it off manually. Get the LG.

These recommends are due to specific needs, which is what it should be geared at, EXACTLY what you need/want.

and i could try getting one from abroad but there's:

-overseas shipping charges (which considering the weight of the package is never so cheap)
-duty charges (roughly 23% but i'm not sure about this most prob i'm mistaken)
-and VAT (18% over the complete order)

ebay? hmm well i was once tempted to do it - but warranty issues and yu know all the hassle that can occurr, imo not worth the risk, i'd rather pay a lil bit more to have my mind at piece

i could wait, true, but then, i've waited for months to finally do this, i just have too!
because i can't go on reading review after review and reading about new stuff etc so just fk it xD

but you are right, i forgot the mention my specific needs well basically:
  • gaming
  • dvd's
  • anime
  • and the rest of occasional office usage etc
thats pretty much it - no console gaming for sure and to turn off the monitor manually no problem too

ps: i'm from malta a very small island in the middle of the Mediterranean - the prices i quoted were the cheapest quotations i could get from :
  • local stores or
  • directly through dell uk or
  • online shops in sicily (media world) or
  • online shops in germany (conrad.de)
so yeah basically for me thats the situation - kinda sucks

in fact next Saturday I'm going abroad directly to Sicily to a region were there are shops like again Media World, Trony and Euronics amongst others which potentially offer cheaper prices (hopefully)

for example samsung 245b:
http://compraonline.mediaworld.it/w...0&productId=413564&langId=-1&category_rn=1509
EUR499 = USD732

samsung 244t:
http://compraonline.mediaworld.it/w...0&productId=342543&langId=-1&category_rn=1509
EUR999 = USD1466

LG l245:
http://www1.conrad.de/scripts/wgate/zcop_b2c/?~template=pcat_product_details_document&object_guid=0944D245FEACA448E10000000A010221&master_guid=&master_typ=&no_brotkrumennavi=&ownrow=4&p_load_area=0413024&p_artikelbilder_mode=Ein&p_sortopt=object_description&page=1&p_catalog_max_results=20&cachedetail=
EUR879 = USD 1292

Viewsonic VX2435:
http://www1.conrad.de/scripts/wgate/zcop_b2c/?~template=pcat_product_details_document&object_guid=27235246B68AD043E10000000A010228&master_guid=&master_typ=&no_brotkrumennavi=&ownrow=6&p_load_area=0413024&p_artikelbilder_mode=Ein&p_sortopt=object_description&page=1&p_catalog_max_results=20&cachedetail=
UER659 = USD967

for example the 244t is even pricier from germany than from sicily/italy

again :(:(:(:(:(

I live in brazil and it is a torment to send anything here: taxes for non-USPS shipping are >100%, USPS doesnt ship anything larger than a 28", and DHL/UPS wont accept anything with costs over $1000.:eek:

A few selected stores DOES international delivery, but the prices of non-USPS for larger itens are very expensive : a typical 24"would cost $90-$120 by USPS-EMS and over $300 by DHL:mad:

So things round down to online stores that do international shipping with USPS, and for itens smaller than a 28" LCD. My list:
Geeks, lagoom, B&H.

There are others that you can find using google product search: just look for the LCD you want, order by price and test every option until you get international shipping.

What about the black friday deals? Are you doomed to lose all of them?

Maybe not : if you hurry and open an account on a MAIL FORWARDING SERVICE like usglobalmail you will have acess to a wider range of stores that take international credit cards. It wont hurt to have a paypal verified account, an ebay account for buying coupons and acess to western union money tranfers.

With great corporations it is possible that you get warranty overseas: dell, hp, lg, samsung come to mind, Here in Brazil they are bound by law to uphold the warranty, AS LONG IS THE SAME ITEM IS SOLD IN THE COUNTRY.

Dollar is at a very low exchange rate worldwide:D, and i dont believe that any tax policy would stop us from getting a SOYO 24" at $300, a TN 24"(acer, sceptre, KDS) for $360, a westinghouse VA for $419 or a dell/lg/samsung 24"for less than $500:cool: but it is very important that you use USPS-EMS to save money from shipping costs.

yeah i know about that i mean i'm a sort of ebay freak so i do buy several items from abroad - and i know the procedures risks and costs associated with intl business

but i'm not willing to take the risk with a monitor - call me close minded or whatever but i prefer to shelve the extra money for re-assurance

anyway i still need suggestions on the actual monitors so if by anychance someone can spare some for me xD

thanks

Believe me you...Don't go TN.

It's a shock when you can't get the right angels. If you can get your hands on these monitors at a store, test them out before. I know that you need to tweak them and they might not have the best cards or cables feeding them the best input, but check them out first. But stay away from TN unless you know what you're getting yourself into.

will do xD

infact i'm just going there to see these panels compared side to side if possible, even if not i need to see for myself the issues with these tn panels

i once used a tn panel on an old sony vaio laptop - god it freaked me out, i just could see right at whatever angle i put it so yeah well i have to see them for myself for sure

theres a lot of people out there who bought one and said they dont experience any issues, or its not that bad at all so i just have to see if its bad for me or no

but then again - the samsung' cheap :'(

any thoughts out there about the viewsonic? ain't convinced yet with the reviews and all that i read :S

k another question, does anybody know to which region the Lg's are assigned?

i mean is the l245 assigned to US while l246 to Europe or vice versa?

thanks again xD

The current € to $ exchange rate makes the US prices look very nice but don't forget that you'll need to add VAT to the price+shipping.

As long as the shipping country (and your country) are part of the EU schengen countries (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schengen_Zone) there won't be additional costs to the goods except shipping, it's a free trade zone, so I'm pretty sure that there won't be additional VAT or taxes added to the price, free transfer of goods...

did you check the prices of the monitors with sites like:
http://wvw.monsieurprix.com/hardware/gen/140154.html (french)
http://geizhals.at/deutschland/?cat=monlcd23wide (germany tends to be cheap)

(it should be easy to find a EU shop that will ship internationally, I found these that probably aren't the best deals in less than a minute:
http://www.pixmania.com/it/it/56859....html?srcid=1&partenaire=kelkoo&codepromo=oui
http://www.redcoon.de/index.php/cmd/shop/a/ProductDetail/pid/B128816/cid/8019/refId/geizhals/
http://www2.computeruniverse.net/ur...roducts/90207319.asp&agent=288&urlmapped=true)

getting a monitor of ebay is the cheapest way I could find for dell models and shouldn't be too risky ether. I bought my 3007wfp-hc, 2007fp and a 2407wfp on ebay as it was the only place where I got a free perfect pixel policy, two shipped from germany and one from the netherlands.

Back