24kt gold ipod touches

Qtip42

[H]is Modness
24kt isn't exactly practical for these things especially polished but they look good. 18kt brushed would have a been something a little more durable.

Also, if anyone knows the secret to getting the glass out of these things, I'm all ears. I'd really like to finish it up by plating the bezel as well.

ipodtouch1.jpg

ipodtouch2.jpg

take an iphone and make it all black. just leave the silver trim and apple logo.

also i dont think you are getting the glass out. apple has gone from metal snaps and pressure holds to using glue.

i hate glue.

I haven't tried buying a broken touch just to see if it's possible to get the glass out. It'd be great if I could.

Seems like apple goes out of their way to make all of their i-products unserviceable.

I haven't tried buying a broken touch just to see if it's possible to get the glass out. It'd be great if I could.

Seems like apple goes out of their way to make all of their i-products unserviceable.

cant have you replacing your $100 battery for $5 or something now.

I don't get it......Sorry not a mac guy :D These things not have enough memory? I don't use them, I just plate them and make them pretty, heh.

take an iphone and make it all black. just leave the silver trim and apple logo.

also i dont think you are getting the glass out. apple has gone from metal snaps and pressure holds to using glue.

i hate glue.

But it's so tasty!

I don't get it......Sorry not a mac guy :D These things not have enough memory? I don't use them, I just plate them and make them pretty, heh.

Max they have is 16gb, which is... useless for what they are promoted as (PMP)

It's an awesome video player, but it kinda sucks with limited space.

That is an awesome job though. I'd get one gold plated, but that would make me more of a target on the subway :(

I have seen some painted iTouches and iPhones, and the bezel was painted as well, so I would think there is a way to get the glass out... maybe not, but the examples I've seen certainly look as if the glass was removed prior to painting. I could be wrong, but I can't see any way to get that bezel painted neatly with the glass still intact...

I imagine the glass is glued in there.

They're using little magnets and a very tight fit to secure the glass on the new iMacs(the repair kit includes a couple of suctions cups to remove the glass), but I doubt such a method would work on something as portable as the iPod.

*edit* And it was nice meeting you the other day.

I imagine the glass is glued in there.

They're using little magnets and a very tight fit to secure the glass on the new iMacs(the repair kit includes a couple of suctions cups to remove the glass), but I doubt such a method would work on something as portable as the iPod.

*edit* And it was nice meeting you the other day.

Thanks for the reminder, I do have to get those suction cups fairly soon (got an 24" imac frame nearly done). Ya ditto. I'll be back again this week as soon as those diamonds arrive I've been waiting on for nearly a month :-\

Hehe, that's Qtip's website ;)

Qtip... what's it cost you to get an iPod touch plated? I'm thinking of plating my girlfriends with Rhodium... considering I have a crapton of rhodium and nickel plate solution left over :eek:

Rhodium would wear over time. It looks good but considering the handling these things get, I'd be worried of wear. Will answer over pm the other question :D

Here's a polished 24kt classic 80gb....I tried getting the button plated but the platers nearly lost it in the tank so I gave up this time. They can plate however, would look better that way.
ipod-classic1.jpg

ipod-classic2.jpg

Qtip, please contact me via PM. What would be the cost to gold plate a TJ-10?

what happens when you get a scratch? :eek:
someone should get their whole setup in gold; such as their speakers, monitor, and case in gold...:D

You know, I tell people often that 24kt scratches quite easily (even by just touching it with your fingers).....but they still ask for it. I've done a few 18kt things and IMO it's a bit better than 24kt in terms of using the item regularly.

Looking good so far. I'm waiting to see those imacs though.

Decided on polished black nickel for the first one. Probably wont get it back for another month since I've given them enough MBP's to keep them busy through the start of the year.

As always you do awesome work Qtip, keep it up!

I dont get why people would want 24kt though if it is not as durable...the look cannot be that different and it will look worse once it is all scratched up after use! Maybe they just want to set it on the desk and look at it :p

can the brushed look be given back to the devices after plating? would rather have a brushed ipod anyway.

Thx for the compliments. 18kt looks more like rose gold/brass. For regular use, I'd go for 18kt....24kt is really for showing off but you pay the price in terms of durability. Just wipe it down after you touch it! :D

You can have a brushed finish if you want. They use a compound while buffing it that gives it the lines, not something done afterwards.

Here's a nano, I tried plating the dot but Apple decided not to give it much of a lip to grasp onto so the gold didn't stick as I had hoped and I went with white paint.

....I'd post the iphone housing but it's got a chip on it so I ordered a new housing.
ipod-nano1.jpg

ipod-nano2.jpg

Nothing from this weeks stuff. I have samples arriving here shortly so I can post a bunch of those pics to compare all of the plating.

Here's a few new photos. Diamonds weren't what they were supposed to be (1.5ctw instead of 2.5-3.0 so I wasn't too pleased but things were sorted out. The final look shouldn't be bubbly either.

goldmac13.jpg

goldmac14.jpg

goldmac15.jpg

all that and no leopard? :p

The upgrade cd's are in the box. I don't do software.......except if someone wants to do a custom gold theme for me. That's about the only thing I'd consider modifying on the new ones.

heh, you're not going to want your iPhone plated. I am finishing one up today and it's not a simple job at all. They make them very difficult to strip and equally problematic putting it back together. The plating doesn't cost anything really, it's the labor that people pay for.

I'll post a pic later today if I'm around.

i just read an article about this stuff in this month's issue of PC Mag...:)
nice work Qtip ;)

i just read an article about this stuff in this month's issue of PC Mag...:)
nice work Qtip ;)

You know I never get to see my work in mags, I'll have to go look for it. I've gotten a few of the foreign ones in the mail but that's about it.

You know I never get to see my work in mags, I'll have to go look for it. I've gotten a few of the foreign ones in the mail but that's about it.
well you outta check it out then!! :D
it's in PC Mag, the new 25th Anv. Issue...

did i already ask if you are going to be at PDXLAN 11? A couple awesome modders will be there this time (Boddaker and Geno from BoxGods). I love rubbing elbows with uber modders like you guys (makes me feel like I am among Gods . . .and you guys so are nice and down to Earth to us n00bs).

anyways, I REALLY want something plated by you . . .

Probably not going to be at pdxlan, too much work. Sadly it's all leaving the country. I don't think a single one stays here. If you want something done just give me a ring, I'll probably be in the shop on xmas even...Cant afford a day off.

Probably not going to be at pdxlan, too much work. Sadly it's all leaving the country. I don't think a single one stays here. If you want something done just give me a ring, I'll probably be in the shop on xmas even...Cant afford a day off.

You know, it's funny, the place I work sold one of them recently. I think it shipped to Denmark or something.

Back