2500K @ 4.7 & 1.35 V - Voltage Ok?

I'm relatively new to OCing and have what I think is a stable OC @ 4.7. (P8Z68-V Pro GEN3)

I'm not sure where to go from here. Should I bring the voltage down until I'm no longer stable or is 1.35 V a good number for 4.7GHz?

My temps hang around mid 60s with the H100 not even running full bore.

I'm going to run the below for 12 hours and call it stable.

Any recommendations, is this voltage safe?

wFggv.png

Looks solid to me.

I would also run IBT to get another gauge on your temps.

Are you using an offset?

You a can try playing with your LLC and drop your vcore a little. That may help you get a stable OC at a lower voltage.

Last edited:
Anything below 1.4v on a Sandy and your usually considered safe for 24/7 operation and your temps look good as well.

When I hit my overclock and its stable, I usually start backing the voltage down until I start getting crashes or errors, then raise it a touch, make sure its stable, then leave it. Obviously the idea is to get the highest overclock you can, with the least amount of voltage possible for 24/7 operation.

Anything below 1.4v on a Sandy and your usually considered safe for 24/7 operation and your temps look good as well.

When I hit my overclock and its stable, I usually start backing the voltage down until I start getting crashes or errors, then raise it a touch, make sure its stable, then leave it. Obviously the idea is to get the highest overclock you can, with the least amount of voltage possible for 24/7 operation.

Awesome, I'm going to do just this.

Looks solid to me.

Are you using an offset?

You a can try playing with your LLC and drop your vcore a little. That may help you get a stable OC at a lower voltage.

I'm not using an offset. I'm going to see how low I can get the vcore and remain stable.

I can't believe the difference OCing to 4.7 made. Planetside 2 is really CPU intensive and I went from 20-40 fps pre-OC to 55-60 post-OC, even in the most demanding battles. My CPU temps in-game hover at about 48C; the H100 kicks ass.

Any advice on OCing my RAM? I have 8gb running at 8-8-8-24 2T 1600mhz. This is the default setting and I have not played around with it at all.

If you don't mind me asking, what fans are you using, how many, what configuration, and what RPM. How loud is that H100 when you run prime95?

What are you ambient temps/case setup.

Sorry for the questions I'm debating on getting an h100, and I'm liking your results so far. Good luck!

If you don't mind me asking, what fans are you using, how many, what configuration, and what RPM. How loud is that H100 when you run prime95?

What are you ambient temps/case setup.

Sorry for the questions I'm debating on getting an h100, and I'm liking your results so far. Good luck!

Build Breakdown:

Case: Corsair 500R (Stock Fans)
HSF: H100 (set to allow high fan speed based on temp [all 3 lights lit])
CPU: i5 2500K @4.7GHz
GPU: GTX 570 HD (Stock Clock
RAM: 8GB Corsair DDR3 @ 1600 8-8-8-24 2T
MOBO: ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3

For all below ambient temperature is about 18C (65F)

Idle:
CPU ~28C (hover between 28C and 32C)
GPU: ~35C

Prime95
CPU: Max of 73C after 8 hours
GPU -

6 hours into Planetside2 yesterday
CPU: ~48C
GPU: Maximum temp 62C (float between 50-62C depending on load)

As far as volume, the H100 never actually hits full speed. I have it set to allow the maximum speed possibly based on CPU Thermal but I have not heard it spin up to maximum ever. I'm not sure what the built in fan speed to temperature curve is but when I hit ~70C on the CPU in prime95 the fans pick up and the temp will drop back to ~68C. The H100 fans then slow and the cycle repeats.

As a reference, the 570HD is WAY louder than the H100. With headphones off I have to focus to hear the H100 over the 570 while gaming. At idle the rig is 'silent' by my standard. With headphones on you would never notice under load.

I have no experience with the GTX 6** series but i hear they are much quieter on average than the GTX 5** series under load. Regardless I doubt the H100 would produce more noise than your GPU.

Winsomelosenone,

What is your LLC at? How stable is your Vcore at idle and load?

1.35v looks great for that cpu for 4.7GHZ stable.

What is the voltage for the DRAM?

Winsomelosenone,

What is your LLC at? How stable is your Vcore at idle and load?

LLC (Load Line Calibration?) 'Extreme'

VCore
Load: 1.376v
Idle: 1.344-1.352v

For some reason after overclocking, my CPU will not downclock when idle (0%). It is constantly at 4.7. I checked and Intel Speedstep is enabled so what is preventing my CPU from downclocking?

1.35v looks great for that cpu for 4.7GHZ stable.

What is the voltage for the DRAM?
8-8-8-24 2T
1.5V

I have 0 experience with OCing RAM. I hear it's more delicate than CPU OCing.

Yeah, I did that for a while. Settled on 4.5 at 1.3v though.

I'm getting 200MHz more for an extra .05v, is that worth it.. don't feel like checking.

VCore

For some reason after overclocking, my CPU will not downclock when idle (0%). It is constantly at 4.7. I checked and Intel Speedstep is enabled so what is preventing my CPU from downclocking?

8-8-8-24 2T
1.5V

I'm getting 200MHz more for an extra .05v, is that worth it.. don't feel like checking.

It won't downclock because you're not using an offset. It is easy to find though. If you're interested, look in RealTemp at the top right and there should be a clickable box (by default I think it shows a timer for how long RealTemp has been running for). Click that until you get the VID.

One it displays the VID take note of what it says when you're idle. I'm going to guess it will be around 1.44X. From there you find the difference in voltage from your idle voltage displayed in CPU-Z and you're VID. Example; if your VID is 1.443 and your idle voltage in CPU-Z is 1.352 then the difference is 0.091. Because in this example the idle voltage is less than the VID it will be a negative offset and it will also have to be rounded up (because you do not want to under-volt) since increments are a minumum of .005. The offset in your BIOS would be -0.090.

If you have High Performance set as your Windows power plan, then you won't get downclocking. Set Balanced instead (assuming EIST and C1E are enabled in the BIOS).

If you want to use an offset voltage, I recommend not trying to calculate it based on the VID, but instead just put in a reasonable offset (like +0.005) and then see what voltage that delivers under full load. Then go back in the BIOS and adjust it to get what you need (which you earlier determined with the manual voltage). So if the +0.005 offset gives you 1.295V under full load, and you know you need 1.325V for stability, then you can just go back and change the offset to +0.035 instead. If you decide to use an offset voltage, I'd also recommend setting something lower for LLC, like Medium. Very high values of LLC often lead to using an offset that is too low (because LLC is boosting the load voltage) which then results to crashing at idle or in lightly loaded situations because the voltage is too low (since LLC isn't working at those times).

VCore

8-8-8-24 2T
1.5V

hi can you post the rest of your bios setup thanks has I have got the same motherboard and cpu and would like your help

Last edited:
...Any advice on OCing my RAM? I have 8gb running at 8-8-8-24 2T 1600mhz. This is the default setting and I have not played around with it at all.

Those are nice timings already, not sure how much your gonna improve without having to give ram more voltage. Have you checked temps on MB and other components? I dunno about everyone else but I like to use speccy, or a infra-red heat sensor.

Looks solid to me.

Are you using an offset?

intel actually advises not to run IBT

Prime95 or Aida64 are what you should be using according to Intel

i've ran IBT and it definitely pushes your CPU to it's theoretical limits, so you have to ask yourself will any other application ever put this much stress on your processor? the answer is no

Back