256GB Samsung 830 Series SSD - $200 + FS

If only TD didn't charge me sales tax. :(

How reliable is the Samsung 830 series? Is it more reliable then the Crucial M4 thats on sale for $180?

I've had mine for 3 months and it's been great. I just got a second and again no issues. Both shipped with latest firmware, but it shouldn't be complicated to update it anyway (Samsung magician software makes it easy).

Good speeds on these drives. Many have had tremendously positive experiences with them.

Wow -- prices seem to get better by the day.

Still sitting pretty with my 64GB kingston V100 -- when I can pick up a 256GB SSD for 150 I will probably upgrade.

How reliable is the Samsung 830 series? Is it more reliable then the Crucial M4 thats on sale for $180?

Out of the many threads I've read comparing them, many people say yes. Samsung makes the controller, the memory, and was awarded many contracts to supply their SATAII SSDs to OEMs.

Check out these threads:

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2220933

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/283004-32-samsung-crucial-128gb

Bottom line, the 830 *and* the M4 are great drives. Most people advise buying whichever one is cheaper; some recommend the 830 if prices are equal.

To add to the mix, I have to say though, at the $200 price point I would probably go for the Plextor M3. But jump quick, because the rebate ends tomorrow I think.

Thanks for heads up OP, I bit :) Should be interesting to see how this compares to the Crucial M4 I picked up a week ago for same price :)

I already got a Crucial m4 from the other TD deal... I am actually thinking of getting this one too as well..

Edit:
I got one... now I can compare the Crucial vs. the Samsung.

Last edited:
Gonna wait for the 512 of this to $400 or less on amazon and I'll bite :) I already have the 256gig M4 and it's running great right now.

Well was gonna go for the M4 deal, but I just bit on this one. I am running a 64gb M4 in my desktop but the reviews made me go for this, going in my next laptop... Still wondering if I should have just gotten the cheaper M4.

M4 and 830 prices keep dropping fast, but I only want Corsair performance pro or Plextor M3 Pro, which their prices never gone below $300.

M4 and 830 prices keep dropping fast, but I only want Corsair performance pro or Plextor M3 Pro, which their prices never gone below $300.

I'm with you on this. I would want to see the Plextor M3 Pro 256 version for something closer to the rest.

I've told myself that once I can get a 256GB SSD for $150-160 shipped I will bite.

I'd love a Corsair or even a Plextor - currently rocking a Kingston V100 64GB with no issues despite it being older.

Funny enough I still have about 25GB free on my C: as it stands. I've learned to live happy on a 64GB disk. When I get 256 I won't know what to do. I see a few very large steam games being migrated to the C: :)

Bonus is the fact I can buy a SSD->Optical adapter for my Dell 15R and have some SSD action on my laptop :) for "free".

Prices really are falling like a rock - 179 for a 256? I wasn't planning on buying another SSD till late this year, but looks like I might be able to get one in 2 months!

Back