2600K/P67A-GD65 vs. i7-950/Rampage III Formula

gathagan

Gawd
I'm getting ready to build a new gaming rig and have narrowed it down to the following two CPU\Motherboard combos:

The price difference between the two systems I list is about $100 when you factor in 8GB of RAM for the P67 system compared to 12GB RAM for the X58.

Given quality memory and cooling, both CPU's are able to hit 4Ghz without any problems.

I'll be putting the system in a Silverstone Fortress 2 and watercooling the CPU.

Other than gaming, the workload on the system will be ridiculously light.

Besides the ePeen factor, is the X58 system worth the extra heat and on-it's-way-out-the-door technology?

well, I'd go for sandy bridge solely due to the lower heat output.

The fact that is capable of holding against a 6 core westmere only seals the deal, IMO.

The only true advantage of a Socket 1366/X58 setup over Sandy Bridge/P67 is the additional PCI-E x16 lanes for multi-card CF/SLI systems (read: tri-SLI). If you believe that you need that option, then go with X58.

I'm getting ready to build a new gaming rig and have narrowed it down to the following two CPU\Motherboard combos:

The price difference between the two systems I list is about $100 when you factor in 8GB of RAM for the P67 system compared to 12GB RAM for the X58.

Given quality memory and cooling, both CPU's are able to hit 4Ghz without any problems.

I'll be putting the system in a Silverstone Fortress 2 and watercooling the CPU.

Other than gaming, the workload on the system will be ridiculously light.

Besides the ePeen factor, is the X58 system worth the extra heat and on-it's-way-out-the-door technology?

what you going to use the pc for?
For gaming -> 2500k
For photoshop CS5 -> I7 950.
To brag ->2600k.
Just kidding if you do light photoshop work then get the 2600k. If you do heavy stuff on CS5. Get the I7 950.

The only true advantage of a Socket 1366/X58 setup over Sandy Bridge/P67 is the additional PCI-E x16 lanes for multi-card CF/SLI systems (read: tri-SLI). If you believe that you need that option, then go with X58.

I'd have to agree with this. 1366 is still the best platform if you want multiple video cards. It also depends where you want to go in the future. While 1366 may be going out the door, 1155 has very limited overhead. You'll probably never see a hex-core or beyond on 1155.

what you going to use the pc for?
For gaming -> 2500k
For photoshop CS5 -> I7 950.
To brag ->2600k.
Just kidding if you do light photoshop work then get the 2600k. If you do heavy stuff on CS5. Get the I7 950.

Except for the amount of memory, why would the 950 be better than the 2600K considering the 2600k is more powerful than the 950??

Except for the amount of memory, why would the 950 be better than the 2600K considering the 2600k is more powerful than the 950??

Current SB (LGA 1155) platforms are limited in the total number of available PCI-e lanes: Most of them have only four open PCI-e lanes after accounting for the GPU and the onboard motherboard devices. That's not enough room to add much more than a low-bandwidth PCI-e x1 card or two. This also hinders the addition of an 8-port or more hardware RAID card that would have helped video editing (Premiere Pro CS5) performance (the 8-port hardware RAID cards require a PCI-e x8 slot to perform at their best). As a result, the 8-port RAID card would have either forced the grapics card to drop down to x8 mode.or be forced to run in x1 or x4 modes (the latter with certain onboard PCI-e devices disabled).

The older LGA 1366 platform has plenty of available PCI-e lanes to add such a hardware RAID card.

Just a thought: Do you really need a Core i7 processor or over 4GB of RAM for this gaming build?

Back