2600k, stock cooler/paste temps?

BoostFrenzy

Weaksauce
@ stock freqency it'll hold 78-80c, ambient temp of 70f.

Is this average? It runs fine simply upping the multiplier to 42 for 4200mhz, but temps start getting into the 90s so I assume an aftermarket cooler is REQUIRED for overclocking?

Pretty much. Overclocking increases both frequency and voltage, and the heat produced is a product of both of those things. That said, 78-80 seems high for stock, even on the stock cooler - do you have good case airflow?

yeah case airflow is good, this is with prime95 on 8 threads 78-80c, more like low 30s idle

Got my 2600K put together last night, discovered that the H50 backing plate doesn't fit on the Asus P8P67 WS, so it's stock heatsink right now :(

Ambient of about 65f, running folding@home for about 20 hours now:

3.8Ghz / 1.24v (auto voltage, first boot)
78-81c

Contact Corsair about that. They're usually VERY good about helping people get parts they need....

I could barely run prime95 on my 2600k @ stock with the factory heatsink. 75-80c under load..

Put a hyper 212+ on and temps are much better. 55-60c under load.

It does fit, but is very unclear on how to install correctly. Look at the online video install of how to mount it and try to line it up correctly.

How high of a temp can an "K" cpu run at for sustained times without damage?

If you're going to overclock, then your max temp at 100% load is a factor. How do you know when you have sufficient cooling to safely OC your CPU under full load?

I think this is only one factor, but some kind of guideline would be nice.

The stock fan on my 2600k was horrible with OCing... like 80/90C :(

Grabbed a CoolerMaster 212+ (push/pull) (30$), now stable at 4.6Mhz with about 24C Idle and about 65C @ 100%.
At 4.7 was hitting 73C, at 4.8 was in the High 70's Low 80's (Don't ask what 5Gig was like at 100%)... Bit hot for me, since it is winter.. would hate to see those temps in the summer!!! :p I'll stay with the 4.6 or go water :p

Axe

Same, I was hitting 90c with stock. I thought my hsf wasnt set properly at first but I reseated it like 3x with the same results. What can you expect from stock...

I grabbed a h50 from bestbuy, my highs with prime95 was hitting like 68 or so but while in games and anything else I usually dont pass 60c, I guess I can live with it.

212+ the best way to go? requires removing the board on a 1155 still?

Yes to the second question. I think you can buy better performing HSF but they cost more and are larger, unless you go water.

Last edited:
The stock fan on my 2600k was horrible with OCing... like 80/90C :(

Grabbed a CoolerMaster 212+ (push/pull) (30$), now stable at 4.6Mhz with about 24C Idle and about 65C @ 100%.
At 4.7 was hitting 73C, at 4.8 was in the High 70's Low 80's (Don't ask what 5Gig was like at 100%)... Bit hot for me, since it is winter.. would hate to see those temps in the summer!!! :p I'll stay with the 4.6 or go water :p

Axe

Are these with your case open or closed? I find for my Antec P182 that I get lower temps with the sides off than with them on. Also, room temps do make a difference, as you suggest. Hard to plan for summer in Feb, but wise to leave some headroom.

212+ the best way to go? requires removing the board on a 1155 still?

Personally for 30$ and the temp range I'm seeing, I think it's one of, if not the best Price to Performance heat sinks on the market.

Sure you can roughly spend 30$ more and shave off 3C or 60$ and shave off 6C but a 100$ heat sink that only shaves off an extra 6C is a bit spendy in my opinion, would switch to water instead I think.

Are these with your case open or closed? I find for my Antec P182 that I get lower temps with the sides off than with them on. Also, room temps do make a difference, as you suggest. Hard to plan for summer in Feb, but wise to leave some headroom.

This is with closed case (Haf 922) with just the default fans (2x 200mm / 1x120mm) the PS is bring air in from bottom then out the back, and push/pull with the 212+.

Personally I clean my case about every 3 months if I leave the side off, it would need to be cleaned every month :p

I've been running Prime95 for 2+ hours now and noticed 1 core get above 70c - but still averaging the 65C

Axe

This is with closed case (Haf 922) with just the default fans (2x 200mm / 1x120mm) the PS is bring air in from bottom then out the back, and push/pull with the 212+.

Personally I clean my case about every 3 months if I leave the side off, it would need to be cleaned every month :p

I've been running Prime95 for 2+ hours now and noticed 1 core get above 70c - but still averaging the 65C

Axe

I'm using the Hyper 212 Plus, too. I right now I have one fan. I'm going to add another one in a few minutes.

Do you have yours mounted with push/pull up and down (toward the top of your case) or front to back (toward the back of the case)? Do you think it matters? I have mine pushing air to the back.

Thanks.

I'm using the Hyper 212 Plus, too. I right now I have one fan. I'm going to add another one in a few minutes.

Do you have yours mounted with push/pull up and down (toward the top of your case) or front to back (toward the back of the case)? Do you think it matters? I have mine pushing air to the back.

Thanks.

Blowing up. - my thoughts were.. heat rises.. and one of my 200mm fans is above it. so kinda like double cooling ;)

Axe

ordered a 212+ we'll give it a try, probably blow it upward towards the intake of the PSU 120mm fan, tried stock cooler and coolermaster "silent1156" both were well into the 90s at 4120mhz/1.264v

How high of a temp can an "K" cpu run at for sustained times without damage?

If you're going to overclock, then your max temp at 100% load is a factor. How do you know when you have sufficient cooling to safely OC your CPU under full load?

I think this is only one factor, but some kind of guideline would be nice.

No one knows for sure. They start to throttle at 98C, so in theory I guess you could run it right below that temp and still be okay. Not that I'd want to do it.

No one knows for sure. They start to throttle at 98C, so in theory I guess you could run it right below that temp and still be okay. Not that I'd want to do it.

If figured that was the case.....

In all my days of owning PCs, I've never had a CPU die. I usually toss them with plenty of life left. And I still have some of my old PCs in service by people I passed them on to. I'm wondering if I'm too conservative with temps. I'll keep this CPU/mobo a max of 4 years.

I tried the push/pull method on my CM Hyper 212+ . Only 1-2 degree difference, but noise levels went up. Currently oc'ed to 4.74Ghz (103*46) and idle temps with speedstep enabled are 36c using CPUID HW monitor.

Frankly, I'd rather be using my TRUE 120, and was almost able to with the CM Hyper mount installed.

Back