27" IPS 2560 x 1440 for new iMac, standalone display coming?

I have another question regarding the 27" iMac: can it be mounted on a stand that pivots between landscape and portrait orientation?

It has mounts to use it with a different stand, so as long as the stand supports it, you should be ok.

Just thought I would bump this thread with some input.

My wife just got this new monitor/computer for Law School and I have to say it just gorgeous.

I have been trying to figure out what 30" monitor I wanted to buy for a long time and I think I might just have to grab one of these 27" iMac's. The screen is just the most beautiful thing I have ever seen.

The annoying sparkle of matte LCD's with with backgrounds is non-existant. This monitor is just a pure pleasure to use. The fact that you get a pretty decently spec'd computer riding on the back of it makes it even more impressive at $1699 CAD (University student purchase).

The biggest obstacle for me was finding a side monitor to use in portrait mode that would not clash with the aesthetics of the iMac. My wife's previous monitor was a HP w2207h and it has a silver and black color scheme so it actually matches very well.

Seriously I try to use my Wife's computer as often as I can now, this monitor is just amazing.

For the record, I had a brief look at the new 27-inch iMac in the metal the other day. In truth, I was underwhelmed. It's not bad, but it's not even in the same ballpark screen-wise as the Samsung XL30 30-inch RGB LED panel I have. It's a bit better than the Dell 3007-HC (which I also have) but closer to the dell than the Sammy. Just my two cents.

For the record, I had a brief look at the new 27-inch iMac in the metal the other day. In truth, I was underwhelmed. It's not bad, but it's not even in the same ballpark screen-wise as the Samsung XL30 30-inch RGB LED panel I have. It's a bit better than the Dell 3007-HC (which I also have) but closer to the dell than the Sammy. Just my two cents.

... and what did you pay for that XL30?

I am curious if your samsung has the screen door "dirty" screen affect from the matte anti reflective coating?

The 3007's and 3008's drive me crazy and the imac 27'' when I saw it had such a pure clean image. I would dare to say I have never seen that before on a 27-30 screen.
Glossy hater or not you cannot deny that sometimes the AR coating on the matte displays leads to a crappy image when white is the primary shade being displayed.

I can control my lighting to avoid glare on a glossy display but I cannot control the fact that this white box I am typing in right now on my 3007 looks like it has dust on the screen.

The 3007's and 3008's drive me crazy and the imac 27'' when I saw it had such a pure clean image. I would dare to say I have never seen that before on a 27-30 screen.
Don't be fooled by the mac gui. I get the same feeling on a pc everytime I change skin/theme. New always looks so much better and sharper and everything to me, guess I don't see the details after I get used to something. Same thing happens when I occasionally use a mac, haven't tried the very screen in question though...

Yeah I've used some of the 30inchers with the antiglare coating and the 27" imac is nothing like it. I'm used to a 20wmgx2 and its crystal clear glossy IPS. The antiglare coating drives me nuts as well (eyes strain immediately trying to ready black text on a white background). I am really hoping apple or someone takes this panel and comes out with a standalone monitor because I really don't need that extra junk the imac comes with :(

Don't be fooled by the mac gui. I get the same feeling on a pc everytime I change skin/theme. New always looks so much better and sharper and everything to me, guess I don't see the details after I get used to something. Same thing happens when I occasionally use a mac, haven't tried the very screen in question though...

He is talking about the actual coating that the manufacturer puts on its monitors to stop glare. That coating gives the screen a "dirty" or "sparkly" look with white backgrounds.

The new iMac screen's do not have this problem. The glossy screen might not be for everyone, but if you can handle the reflections or can control your workspace so that they are not an issue then this monitor is amazing.

It does not matter. It's worth ~$1100 (monitor) + $250 (colorimeter and hood - if any).
$1400 at most.

It certainly does matter, you can't start comparing a monitor that costs more than twice as much as one that comes with a very nicely spec'd computer/keyboard/mouse attached with it.

The street value is also irrelevant, an old Lexus will still be a more comfortable car than a new Honda Civic, but the Civic is still brand-new and an excellent value for the money.

Can anybody please measure the input lag of the 27" iMac when plugged into an external computer using a video card with DisplayPort output?

It certainly does matter, you can't start comparing a monitor that costs more than twice as much as one that comes with a very nicely spec'd computer/keyboard/mouse attached with it.

The street value is also irrelevant, an old Lexus will still be a more comfortable car than a new Honda Civic, but the Civic is still brand-new and an excellent value for the money.

It does not matter how XL30 is priced ($2000 or $3000 or $5000).
The whole XL30 set is worth $1400 at most brand new.
That's what I am talking about.

It does not matter how XL30 is priced ($2000 or $3000 or $5000).
The whole XL30 set is worth $1400 at most brand new.
That's what I am talking about.

Link to where I can buy an XL30 at $1400 brand new please?

most breathtaking LCD I have ever seen, sincerly, it's the bomb.

How long is it going to take LG to offer these new large led lit panels on the open market? Will we ever see them?

How long is it going to take LG to offer these new large led lit panels on the open market? Will we ever see them?

Well there is a Dell U2711 soundbar, and people speculate that this Dell soundbar goes with a monitor that has the same monitor specs as the iMac 27". I am assuming Apple has some exclusive clause before LG can release these monitors to other partners. I hope they do before Christmas though, it would be a nice gift to myself! :D

Well there is a Dell U2711 soundbar, and people speculate that this Dell soundbar goes with a monitor that has the same monitor specs as the iMac 27". I am assuming Apple has some exclusive clause before LG can release these monitors to other partners. I hope they do before Christmas though, it would be a nice gift to myself! :D

Possible but doubtful. It could be that Apple has taken the current first batch(es) from LG, and production still needs to ramp up to provide the panel to other partners like Dell in quantities they require.

As far as I know exclusivity agreements are rare, because no manufacturers wants to limit all their sales of a particular component to just ONE "customer", especially in poor economic conditions. It's more likely that Dell would still be either in developmet phase for the monitor electronics around this panel, or they want to get a certain inventory prior to putting them up for sale.

if another person were to use this panel (dell, etc), it likely wouldn't be glossy I imagine.

The picture of the Dell AY511PA Soundbar shows it attached to a matte LCD. Doesn't seem very hopeful to me. Why is anyone speculating that it'll have anything in common with the 27" iMac besides being LED backlit and being 2560x1440?

if another person were to use this panel (dell, etc), it likely wouldn't be glossy I imagine.
Isn't the panel manufacturer the one who either coats it with anti-glare or makes it glossy? So another panel with the same specs except for being matte would not be the same panel...

Last edited:
I am curious if your samsung has the screen door "dirty" screen affect from the matte anti reflective coating?

Glossy hater or not you cannot deny that sometimes the AR coating on the matte displays leads to a crappy image when white is the primary shade being displayed.

I can control my lighting to avoid glare on a glossy display but I cannot control the fact that this white box I am typing in right now on my 3007 looks like it has dust on the screen.

The XL30 is a lot cleaner than the 3007-HC (haven't looked at a 3008 for a while). If you look very closely, you can see a little graininess. But it is only very, very slight. remember, the XL30 is PVA, not IPS. Most if not all PVA panels I have used had less grainy/sparkley anti-glare coatings. The XL30 is no different in that regard. Then add in the LED backlight and the result is quite startlingly clean whites.

Actually, my recollection of the 27-inch iMac is that it was a little sparkly. If I'm correct, perhaps you were slightly distracted by the plastic screen that sits in front of the panel on the iMac. Pretty sure it's a standard panel behind that, not a glossy one.

A good option if the XL30 is too expensive (and it is super expensive) is the Samsung 305T. It's PVA again (probably same panel as the XL30) but with a standard CCFL backlight. It's very nice and typically no more pricey than the Dell.

For people interested in pivoting / rotating between landscape and portrait orientation...

I bought the Ergotron Neo-Flex Widescreen Lift Stand (from another supplier, not from ergodirect) for use with my 3007WFP-HC, and it works. There's some wobble right after adjustment, but it damps down quickly. The 30" monitor must be tilted before being rotated between landscape and portrait, to avoid bumping the bezel into the stand (this problem would have been avoided if the Ergotron stand had been designed with a thinner "foot", or given 1 inch of extra height), but there's plenty of room to untilt it after the rotation is finished (it's only the diagonal position that presents the tight fit), and even move it up and down in portrait orientation. The 27" iMac may be small enough to rotate without tilting.

I also found another option during my searching, the Ergotech Heavy Duty LCD Monitor Stand for 17" - 30" Monitors. It's more expensive, and looks like it has better build quality. I went with the Ergotron though.

These could be used on the 27" iMac, using Apple's VESA Mount Adapter Kit.

Last edited:
If you're on a tight budget then this can also work for most 30" I believe...
Ergotron MX desk mount
I have one of these and it's pretty solid. The one thing I would caution you about though is when you mount a heavy display then it will most likely just rest flush on the desk. You can probably adjust the tension in the springs or something but it hasn't bothered me so...

edit: maybe not the ideal solution for 27" imac as there are vents on the bottom? ;o ...would probably have to adjust the tension or worst case slant the monitor back a bit ;o

Last edited:
I just realized there are two versions of the stand I bought. I got the older version, 33-321-057, without realizing there was a newer version, 33-329-057. The older version is cheaper, but maybe the newer version doesn't have that wobble.

The 33-321-057 does have two tension adjustments. Properly adjusted, the monitor can be moved up and down and will stay in place.

Actually, my recollection of the 27-inch iMac is that it was a little sparkly. If I'm correct, perhaps you were slightly distracted by the plastic screen that sits in front of the panel on the iMac. Pretty sure it's a standard panel behind that, not a glossy one.
I still haven't had an opportunity to go to an Apple Store and see the 27-inch iMac, however today I got a look at a 24-inch iMac at a Best Buy. Looking at it on-axis, there was absolutely no sparkle, no matter how carefully I looked. However, looking at it off-axis from a 45 degree angle I could see a tiny bit of sparkle (I don't know why this would be — with Scotch Packaging Tape on my 3007WFP-HC, there isn't even any sparkle off-axis). This could be why you recall seeing sparkle on the 27-inch iMac.

Back