280 SLI question

DeathbyPutz

Limp Gawd
Basically scrapping the majority of my system for an i7 setup, but one of the components that I plan on holding onto is my gtx280. If I decide to get a system built for me by *any custom pc website* its not much extra to throw in a video card as well.

Do I need to go with another 280 if I want to hook them together in SLI? First off, 280's aren't very common any more, since the 285 came out. So getting another 280 isn't even possible from most of the build-your-box websites now.

Being an SLI n00b, and someone that doesn't trust his own skaky hands to solder a heatsink to a cpu... my question boils down to which cards can I partner my 280 with for effective SLI?

Just learn to build the system yourself. It's not that hard and it will save you a lot of money in the long run. It's actually way easier than you'd expect. I think my first one took me 2 hours from unpacking to POST using an online guide, and I could probably do one in 30 minutes now.

As for what card to pair with the 280, I think it's just another 280. I don't think any card other than the 285 is similar, and to use that you'd need to flash the bios to a 280, which isn't something a noob should be doing. I don't even know if a 285 CAN be downflashed to a 280. You can get a used 280 really cheap right now.

Correct, a 280 can only run in SLI with another 280.

I use mine for dedicated PhysX, and it does a good job. ;)

A good spot for used 280's...

B-Stock
http://www.evga.com/products/prodlist.asp?switch=20

I rather was disappointed at the time, that the 260 would run with any of the new 260's...

65nm GTX 260 Core 192
65nm GTX 260 Core 216
55nm GTX 260 Core 216

They all run in SLI fine together.

But the Flagship 280 got left out in the cold by the 285.

Considering the $$ I spent on my 280, I did expect better support than that from nVidia.

Last edited:
That's a lot to pay for a used 280. Ebay and Craigslist will have some good prices. I found a third to go with my other two on Craigslist for $150. I think $200 is about the absolute max to pay for one. Otherwise OP should just sell his current card and buy a 5870.

You can only pair a 280 with a 280. And you can still find them if you look in the right places.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...048 106792634 1067940782&name=GeForce GTX 280

I do agree with JCDenton, just learn how to build you own. you will save a ton of money, get exactly what you want; and have fun and learn while your doing it. just make sure to have a spare pc lying around so you have the internet for reference if you need it. :)

That's a lot to pay for a used 280. Ebay and Craigslist will have some good prices. I found a third to go with my other two on Craigslist for $150. I think $200 is about the absolute max to pay for one.
Valid point.

I'd very much like to build my own system, I've just always been hesitant since I don't trust myself to not ruin components with a bead of sweat or bad grounding. Perhaps if I had a suitable work bench in my apartment I'd be more willing.

If I would need to try to flash a 285 to 280-status, then it's not really worth it to get a second video card at all probably. I can deal with my 280, since I'm sure the cpu and ram upgrade will give me enough of a performance boost to tide me over until the next generation rolls out and comes down in price.

Thanks for the quick info.

I've got plenty of spare laptops laying around (2 from my work, and 2 from my wife's job) for internet reference.

Mostly I was just looking to see if it was worth the $150-200 to grab a 285 and slap them together. If I need to grab another 280 to make it work, I don't see the added value over the power draw, noise, and heat. I can wait a few months and see what happens around the holidays in the video card market.

The chances you'd ruin something are pretty low as long as you act sensibly. The anti-static bag and foam that comes with your motherboard is all the work area you need.

Yah PC components are not as easy to break as a lot of people think, I have built probably 100+ computers half the time with no antistatic wristband or antistatic bags, and a shitty work area. Just be smart and don't run across the carpet dragging you feet with a 300$ motherboard in your hands. If you can fry a pc with a bead of sweat.... your doing something wrong lol.

Good to know. I'd always been under the impression that PC components were much more fragile than you guys are saying. I suppose custom-building is more of a possiblity then.

I know its a lazy question, since I could google it myself, but are there any sites that you guys recommend for the how-to?

Back