280 Strange Noise

Ferris

Weaksauce
I have an evga 280 w/ stock cooler and have noticed a clicking noise under load. I opened the case and verified it was coming from the card and thought maybe it was the fan. Having stopped the fan entirely, for a very short moment, the noise persisted.

Anybody have an idea what this could be? The temps on my card seem in line and it has overclocked welll without any artifacts so I would hate to think it is defective. It is not really a problem since the volume is usually up higher than the noise level while gaming, but I am still curious. If not the fan what could be making noise on the card?

hmmm, i haven't heard clicking from mine. mine squeals like a pig when on game menu screens though. i don't mind it since the card kicks arse and functions properly.

Squealing noise - coils.. don't worry about them...

Caps can squeal as well, but you're right, not something to worry about. Both my 8800 GTXs squeal like mad when OCed, and they're still going strong after a year and a half.

Clicking like the OP is hearing though, and not fan-related? That's odd. Not sure what that could be.

I wish I had some explanation and appreciate the help

I know it is coming from the video card and not a fan or the psu. The card works well so I can't complain. Actually, I probably would complain but I think I may do the trade-up if the rumored 290 release is within my 90-day period.

Thanks for the help guys.

clickiing noise? you sure that the theirs no wires or what ever thats getting touched against the fan when it spins up? You never know, I saved lots $$$ in the past by checking inside if any wires are touching or trapped between fan shrouds or tapping against it when it spins up.

I bought a Evga gtx 260 at a local B&M and it had the coil squeal. Annoyed the hell out of me so I exchanged it the next day for another evga 260. The second one was louder and imo not acceptable the least bit. So again I took it back but for a refund this time.

IMO I would not accept something like that especially if it was as loud as what mine were. It was absolutly horrid. Extremly bad QC and after researching a bit around while I had my evga, it always seems to be evga customers raising the stink about it. I'm not saying it's only evga but that was my perception when googling the issue.

I've already heard the argument that "every" graphic card does this but this is the first time I heard anything like that and I've had a crapload of video cards over the years.

I ended up chancing it again but this time with BFG when they had their online store deal. I was a bit worried being if this one squealed as bad as the evga I would have been incoinvienced with the whole shipping BS but luckly this one is quite.

Back