2900XT 3DMark06 bench

Hate to tell ya 'tin-hat-man', but if you wanna view any HD-DVD or Blu-RAY or hell, any newer media, you will have DRM in the device/system, too.

Better go make sure you got your camping supplies, in a year or so, you'll be avoiding every consumer electronic device on the mainstream market. They'll all be riddled with DRM of some variant..

Wrong, you can already safely ignore the DRM for Blu-ray and HD-DVD (They've both been cracked). What other DRM matters? None.

Unless you're dumb enough to buy DRM'd WMA files. Anyone that dumb is beyond help! :)

This post is merely a statement of fact, not an encouragement of anything ;)

Wrong, you can already safely ignore the DRM for Blu-ray and HD-DVD (They've both been cracked). What other DRM matters? None.

Unless you're dumb enough to buy DRM'd WMA files. Anyone that dumb is beyond help! :)

http://www.slysoft.com/en/anydvdhd.html

How're you paying for that content?

You've read, The [H]ard|Forum Rules: ?

(18) You will not discuss, suggest, engage, or encourage any ILLEGAL ACTIVITIES. Links provided to locations that deal with any such activity are also expressly forbidden.

what are "illegal activities" ?
sometimes whats illegal in US or UK might be perfectly legal in Germany or Poland for example

so...?

Gotta say I'm skeptical about the 5.1 surround, though.

I mean, it could be cool, but...

...I mean, seriously, Creative is the only game in town when it comes to games. Due to Creative's technology and influence, games are up to EAX5, now, and nobody but Creative offers anything but EAX2 on their cards.

(OTOH, it's long been rumored that Creative is happy to license EAX5 to anyone who will pony up, but all their competitors to date have just been too small operations to do so. Maybe AMD???)

That's about to change..:p

With DRM under VISTA with HDMI you'll need a DRM capable Graphics card to power the new HDMI HDTV screens and setups. Blue Ray and HD DVD.

But as a sidenote... Auzentech is releasing a sound card using the X-Fi processor featuring Dolby Digital Live and DTS Live.

What you don't like the competition that the two create? And I suppose that you don't like the lower prices as well? Looks like we got another fan boy on our hands! :eek:

i was referring to the name not the company, and yeah ima amd f@nboy

How're you paying for that content?

You've read, The [H]ard|Forum Rules: ?

(18) You will not discuss, suggest, engage, or encourage any ILLEGAL ACTIVITIES. Links provided to locations that deal with any such activity are also expressly forbidden.

Fair enough, though your post is now in violation of those rules. My point was simply that HDCP etc. isn't really an issue, since you can, uh just not watch Blu-Ray/HD-DVD discs. *ahem*

Anyway, the link which was previously posted (and that you're still quoting) is to a software which is only useful if you actually own an original blu-ray or HD-DVD disc! As is always the case, out and out pirates really never have to worry about any of this stuff. Honest customers are the ones who get screwed. :(

Sorry for getting off topic. I'm really looking forward to seeing some solid benchmarks for the R600, I hope it's worth the wait.

what are "illegal activities" ?
sometimes whats illegal in US or UK might be perfectly legal in Germany or Poland for example

so...?

You've got to be kidding me..Right?

Fair enough, though your post is now in violation of those rules. My point was simply that HDCP etc. isn't really an issue, since you can, uh just not watch Blu-Ray/HD-DVD discs. *ahem*

Anyway, the link which was previously posted (and that you're still quoting) is to a software which is only useful if you actually own an original blu-ray or HD-DVD disc! As is always the case, out and out pirates really never have to worry about any of this stuff. Honest customers are the ones who get screwed. :(

Sorry for getting off topic. I'm really looking forward to seeing some solid benchmarks for the R600, I hope it's worth the wait.

There's nothing wrong with Slysoft (I think--we'll find out soon enough). There's nothing wrong with making legitimate back-ups, or creating a virtual drive; though, the MPAA, RIAA, and a horde of Video Game -including Music and Movie Execs.-- publishers would have you believe otherwise.

But, just a word of advice to walk a thin-line around here, should you ever want to discuss, engage, suggest, etc., etc. the methods --damn, I'm even having a hard time wording this, so it's a damn thin-line :p-- that would describe technical specificity..Well, you seem to understand what I'm getting at..so we'll leave it there...

no, i wasn't kidding

I have to admit, you've somewhat got me here.

I knew the International laws for IP and CrP were vague, if anything but not this bad..

Two things though:

1. It's all gonna fall down to how Kyle, Steve, and the mods handle it on their forum/site. If they feel like the discussion is getting into illegal stuff then they reserve the right to remove it. That's all I was saying. Trust me, I'm no supporter of the DRM effort, of that we can agree on.

2. Could you check out this http://europa.eu/ and tell me what's in there? It's a link I got from the US.gov's effort at International "efforts" found here http://www.uspto.gov/main/profiles/international.htm but I'm afraid I won't be able to read much of anything there. PM me, or post here if it has any thing relevant. Probably best to move it elsewhere as this is a discussion on benchmarks, or was lol. :D

Sorry folks, we now return you to the 2900XT 3DMark06 Benchmarks Pre-Release.. I'm interested in the numbers and IQ compared to the competition, the folding@Home numbers and patiently waiting on some news about the power requirements, officially.:cool:

I have to admit, you've somewhat got me here.

I knew the International laws for IP and CrP were vague, if anything but not this bad..

Two things though:

1. It's all gonna fall down to how Kyle, Steve, and the mods handle it on their forum/site. If they feel like the discussion is getting into illegal stuff then they reserve the right to remove it. That's all I was saying. Trust me, I'm no supporter of the DRM effort, of that we can agree on.

2. Could you check out this http://europa.eu/ and tell me what's in there? It's a link I got from the US.gov's effort at International "efforts" found here http://www.uspto.gov/main/profiles/international.htm but I'm afraid I won't be able to read much of anything there. PM me, or post here if it has any thing relevant. Probably best to move it elsewhere as this is a discussion on benchmarks, or was lol. :D

Sorry folks, we now return you to the 2900XT 3DMark06 Benchmarks Pre-Release.. I'm interested in the numbers and IQ compared to the competition, the folding@Home numbers and patiently waiting on some news about the power requirements, officially.:cool:

Can we stay half way on topic?

Too much power consumption. Does anyone even care about global warming?

Wondring what the NV fan club will say when the 8800Ultra is out, its not like it will use less power compared to the 8800GTX.:rolleyes:

Global warming in the media-popularised sense simply does not exist. And no, I don't care at all about power consumption, only the heat generated, and that's to a limited extent. My box warms the room in winter, and I just open the window next to it in summer (it's well cooled but that means the air around it gets pretty hot).

This new card, if delivered with the features that this says, is either going to revolutionize gaming cards as we know them, or it will be an utter failure.
Onboard physics, Onboard HDMI, Onboard 5.1 surround (not 7.1, but at least its a start)...
If you think that's loaded, can you imagine an AIW version!? That's what I'm waiting for. Hopefully the .65nm process card with 1GB RAM will have an AIW version. Expensive, but awesome if released.

Based on the track record for AIWs(hot and single slotted), it'll spew enough heat that you could start a small banana plantation adjacent to it.

Global warming in the media-popularised sense simply does not exist. And no, I don't care at all about power consumption, only the heat generated, and that's to a limited extent. My box warms the room in winter, and I just open the window next to it in summer (it's well cooled but that means the air around it gets pretty hot).

your open window is the reason the temps are going up on Mars....... :)

Shut your window or you'll evaporate all the H2O off Mars.... oops.... now look what you've done. Obviously we're gonna have to tax you into submition for all the heat you're putting out :)

and the 10% or so of us linux users will still get an nvidia card because the ATI drivers are craptacular.......

Hard to benchmark a paper launch. What I've seen so far has left me unimpressed, considering how long ATI has held off on releasing product. Nvidia's refresh is right around the corner.

Oh isn't that smart, comparing a card that's been out since last year to a card that may not even be out until Q3 '07, oh yeah, we're smart. :rolleyes:

Based on the track record for AIWs(hot and single slotted), it'll spew enough heat that you could start a small banana plantation adjacent to it.

Might be a good way to pay it off. You could train some monkeys to harvest the bananas!

Then you could get a really sharp chimpanzee to fry the bananas using the top of the card's heatsink. Nice tasty snack while you're gaming. :)

Stereophile said:
3dmark doesn't mean shit.

It does for people who play a lot of 3dmark.

It will be intresting to see [H] review this time. With 8600 series we alrdy saw that there is two truths out there. The canned benchies and gameplay world truths that is.

One thing is puzzling also about those dailytech benches, they show only 5MHz difference between XT and XTX, this cannot be the final speed for XTX can it :confused:

Still I dont think 80nm X2900XTX can close the gap between 8800GTX just by raising clock. Ok they might be able to do that with huuuuge power drain and heat, which does not sound too good. If I was in AMD shoes , I would delay X2900XTX and wait for 65nm dieshrink and just get X2900XT out of the door asap.

Hard to benchmark a paper launch. What I've seen so far has left me unimpressed, considering how long ATI has held off on releasing product. Nvidia's refresh is right around the corner.

yeah

AMD/ATI really really needs this cash injection too.

If this product doesnt turn really profitable really fast AMD will have to reduce costs via reduction of the R&D department and quite possibly take out some massive loans. At first I thought that coasting on Clawhammer, Sandiego, Toledo and Manchester, and not putting any effort into making a new architecture would have been a minor mistake, but now i realize it really does have the potential to make the company go belly up. I don't need to explain how bad that would be for the entire computer industry.

Still I dont think 80nm X2900XTX can close the gap between 8800GTX just by raising clock. Ok they might be able to do that with huuuuge power drain and heat, which does not sound too good. If I was in AMD shoes , I would delay X2900XTX and wait for 65nm dieshrink and just get X2900XT out of the door asap.

Not quite that simple. I dont know if TSMC has a working 65nm technology yet, but even if they did it would require some huge revamps to the R600 architecture. Remember, that 512bit bus is actually built on 90nm technologies simply for the purpose of hitting the contacts on the wafer.

Not quite that simple. I dont know if TSMC has a working 65nm technology yet, but even if they did it would require some huge revamps to the R600 architecture. Remember, that 512bit bus is actually built on 90nm technologies simply for the purpose of hitting the contacts on the wafer.

Thanks for pointing that out, Iam no wafer dieshrink expert by any means :)

There has however been talk about 65nm R600, hopefully it comes a reality. And the rumour is that X2900XTX has been postponed for Q3 2007, could they do a 65nm dieshrink in that time?

Thanks for pointing that out, Iam no wafer dieshrink expert by any means :)

There has however been talk about 65nm R600, hopefully it comes a reality. And the rumour is that X2900XTX has been postponed for Q3 2007, could they do a 65nm dieshrink in that time?

What the hell does a dieshrink matter if their arch/design isn't up to par?

Back