295x2 question's

Sky15

2[H]4U
I know this is more of an opinion, but I want a mITX build, with the most powerful VC on the market and the 295x2 fits the bill. I've found 2 cases that can actually house em, CaseLabs S3 and the Rosewill Legacy W1.

Would it be dumb going this route? I plan on upgrading my monitor to 4k from 1440p a little later, probably early/mid 2015ish.

Should I just stick with a 780ti and upgrade when the 800 series are released?

My whole idea is that I want the most power outta of the smallest build possible with/o it getting super hot, even if it does run a little hotter than a standard atx build I'm ok with that.

Thanks!

I'm definitely not an authoritative source, I'm just tossing $.02 here, but I'd just stick with the 780Ti for the moment and see what happens with the 800's come later this year. You're not yet on 4k so what's the harm in waiting to see how the next round of GPUs handles that?

I haven't gotten a chance to get a 4k monitor yet but I am running 2X 290x so basically a 295x at 1440p and the performance is amazing. I would think if you want the most performance in a mitx form factor the 295x would be a solid choice. The cool thing about the card is that they are already water cooled, so the biggest challenge heat in the itx cases is already partially solved for you. The one downside is that you pay a good premium $1500 for the card. Also keep in mind you are going to need at least a 1000w power supply.

Seeing as how you already have the 780 you might just want to stick with it an see if it gets you where you want. Maybe by early 2015 we will see some price cuts, I would assume that the fab tech is falling behind so no die shrinks for a while, but who knows maybe a solid upgrade in the 8xx series or full bore 290 revision.

Lol, mixed opinions.

I actually don't have a 780, I'm on my 4 year old build with a 580. So this would be a complete new build minus the monitor, and other little things.

What is the best brand to go with for AMD?

Last edited:
In my personal opinion, I would make my choice based off of who offers the best warranty and gives the best support for their products.

In my personal opinion, I would make my choice based off of who offers the best warranty and gives the best support for their products.

Looks like Asus and MSI have the best warranty of 3 years.

Lol, mixed opinions.

I actually don't have a 780, I'm on my 4 year old build with a 580. So this would be a complete new build minus the monitor, and other little things.

They are all reference designs and as far as I know they are all exactly the same except for the decoration of the center fan. The differences are in the warranty.

The companies that are offering 3 year warranties on their 295x2s are: ASUS, MSI, & Gigabyte. The Sapphire units have 2 year warranties even though they are offering a metal case for the OC version. The Powercolors are 2 years also. Visiontek 1 year.
I went with an MSI 295x2 because I'm sick of throwing money at ASUS for products that work but only just.

2 important considerations about the 295x2:
1) Crossfire only works in fullscreen, Sli usually just works
2) DX9 support with AMD is spotty at best and they have publicly stated that they are not officially supporting DX9 titles anymore.

I'm very pleased with the 295x2 all things considered. I think for 60Hz 1440p a single 290X could be enough, though. I wouldn't bother with the 295x2 unless I was needing to push 3 monitors or 120fps and didn't have space for 2 290X's.

It's a weird card, though. I'm definitely having some troubleshooting issues with it, but for modern games that are oficially supported it's flawless and the cooling performance is quite good. Not good enough to bother overclocking... but I'm going to put waterblocks on them sooner than later, anyway.

Yea, I heard about the DX9 problems, but I don't play any games that are DX9 so it shouldn't be a problem.

You're right as of now, a single 290x would be fine, but I will be going 4k soon, so I rather have it now than later. If worst comes to worst I can sell it, which should probably keeps its resale value.

I haven't gotten a chance to get a 4k monitor yet but I am running 2X 290x so basically a 295x at 1440p and the performance is amazing. I would think if you want the most performance in a mitx form factor the 295x would be a solid choice. The cool thing about the card is that they are already water cooled, so the biggest challenge heat in the itx cases is already partially solved for you. The one downside is that you pay a good premium $1500 for the card. Also keep in mind you are going to need at least a 1000w power supply.

Seeing as how you already have the 780 you might just want to stick with it an see if it gets you where you want. Maybe by early 2015 we will see some price cuts, I would assume that the fab tech is falling behind so no die shrinks for a while, but who knows maybe a solid upgrade in the 8xx series or full bore 290 revision.

You don't need a 1k watt psu for the card. My corsair AX 850 has plenty of juice to power one and has been doing absolutely fine doing so.

Lol, mixed opinions.

Why do you have one listed in your sig?

never understood why people do that sort of stuff.

As far as brand is concerned, with a card like that I would get one with a lenient warranty. I settled on Gigabyte myself

You don't need a 1k watt psu for the card. My corsair AX 850 has plenty of juice to power one and has been doing absolutely fine doing so.

Why do you have one listed in your sig?

never understood why people do that sort of stuff.

As far as brand is concerned, with a card like that I would get one with a lenient warranty. I settled on Gigabyte myself

I forgot to change it back, my bad.

Personally, DX9 titles don't really need a ton of horsepower to run anyway, so just one GPU of the 295x2 would run any DX9 game just fine. If you are looking for the most powerful single-card out there: the 295x2 is it.

Personally, DX9 titles don't really need a ton of horsepower to run anyway, so just one GPU of the 295x2 would run any DX9 game just fine. If you are looking for the most powerful single-card out there: the 295x2 is it.

Cool, you can disable 1 of em?

Back