2GB or 4GB of ram?

8GB for gaming?? You're out of your fucking mind. The rest of your rig will be obsolete before you outgrow 4GB. In fact, if you've got enough money to blow on 8GB of RAM, chances are you'll be upgrading again before you outgrow 2GB.

Seriously, buy it when you need it. It'll be faster, and it'll be cheaper. Trying to futureproof a gaming machine is little different from flushing money down the toilet.

so true. Use the money from the over kill 6gb and buy a better video card or something.

Any confirmation of whether 4*1 gig sticks work at listed speeds on 680i chipsets. I'm close to a new build, and would like to run Vista 64 with 4 gigs of ram. In the past I know 2 sticks usually ran better than 4. I'd also like to overclock. Thanks.

I've set up an EVGA 680i motherboard with a QX6700 and four sticks of TWIN2X2048-6400C4 (CORSAIR XMS2 1GB DDR2 800), and all four sticks ran at DDR2 800 (though at the time I wasn't sure if that was aided by EPP - Enhanced Performance Profiles). Last week I set up an MSI P6N SLI-FI with an E6600 and two sticks of JM2GDDR2-6K and two sticks of JM1GDDR2-6K (Transcend 1GB DDR2 667 and 512MB DDR2 667), and all four sticks ran at 667Mhz.

In neither case were the systems being overclocked, so I have no idea how the memory would perform in that case.

Will Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400 C4 PRO (2x1GB) 4-4-4-12 be good for using Vista and gaming? I rather quality over quantity but 2GB doesn't seem enough. This RAM has 24 led lights on it which I like, but this RAM is very expensive and I could probably get 4GB of RAM for the same price. I don't know! Is this RAM worth getting?

Generally, that memory overclocks well, but don't buy it just for the lights. I'm not dissing Corsair, but if you don't need the overclocking ability you can get stock RAM with higher capacity (4GB) for a lower price, most likely. Don't know where you're buying though.

yeah this post puts it nicely:

But I'd love to have 4-8GiB of RAM. Though if I ever were to think about that, I'd go with 4GiB to start and look how it goes.

I know someone that bought 2 gigs of DDR-1 when it was considering insane to have more than 1 gig. They kept that system for 6+ years before upgrading and never had any of the studdering issues, I on the other hand experienced at times with cranked graphics tons of studdering issues. So it may not be a bad idea if you plan to not upgrade at all for a damn long time.

Right now I'm struggling with this dilema. I have 2Gigs of Corsair Dominator on the way ( I thought I fried it but turns out my memory is ok) so now I'd have 4 gigs of it. I'm still on WinXP but plan to go back to Vista Ultimate 64bit once they get the damn drivers figured out.

I'm thinking for now, I could use just 3 Gigs in WinXP? And go to the full 4Gigs when I go back to Vista?

Current system is:
e6600 @ 3.2GHz
dual 8800GTX's
2Gig Dominator memory

I'm not sure if I'd be well over the WinXP alllocation cap because of the two 8800GTX's. Thats why I'm thinking I can only use 3 Gigs for now.

I'm not sure what you're struggling with. It's explained in this thread, and in the FAQ referenced from this thread, and in many other places, that the memory on your cards will tear a 1.5 gibibyte hole in your addressable space, leaving 2.5 under the 4.0 gibibyte limit.

Nray thanks for your reply. I'm leaning toward a system very similar to yours.

Back