2TB WD Green HD @ Dell Home $99

Meh. Gonna pick up 3x Hitachi's.

The rebate is eligible for up to 5 drives.

The WD20EARS aren't unreliable, they are just slow which doesn't bother me one bit. Bought 2 last week from the Amazon deal.

how well would this do running an xp VM on Vista, playing video files?

Yeah, I would stay away from any 2tb line from WD right now. I like these green drives since they run cool in a usb enclosure but I have heard nothing but bad things about the 2tb's across the board blue, green and black. Just my two cents.

hmmm. that's an interesting comment. I have several, no issues so far at all. My first gut reaction would be to think that people having issues are using them for something other than what they're best suited for. A green drive's ideal scenario is archival storage. Put movies and junk on it, not your OS. It's plenty fast enough to stream blu-ray rips from, runs cool, uses hardly any power. I would not be surprised to hear people having problems running them in raid setups, boot/OS drive, or other demanding situations.

Do you have any links to articles or anything with the issues you've heard about? I'm curious to read on it, especially since I just ordered another one thanks to this $99 deal from Dell.

I would stick with the Hitachi 2TBs. I'm using one in my WHS with no issues.

It'll be faster than the WD, but also use more power. Personally I like having the faster transfer speeds.

Deal is dead, product page is missing.

Our apologies...

The product you have selected is not currently available for online purchase in the segment you have selected.

heh, what i meant was playing vids within the VM

"Bumi, your a mad genius." -Ang

Why, oh why, would you do that to yourself? Just use a portable version of VLC if you don't want to contaminate your OS.

I would stick with the Hitachi 2TBs. I'm using one in my WHS with no issues.

It'll be faster than the WD, but also use more power. Personally I like having the faster transfer speeds.

How is the Hitachi for sound & vibration?

How is the Hitachi for sound & vibration?
what? I can't hear you....

just kidding.

It's on the loud side. Reminds me of the older drives that clicked and clunked a lot while being used.

I have mine tucked away in a closet in my file server so I didn't notice it until I pulled the server out and had it running in my office during maintenance.

"Bumi, your a mad genius." -Ang

Why, oh why, would you do that to yourself? Just use a portable version of VLC if you don't want to contaminate your OS.

to encapsulate some videos I dont want others accessing ;)

Points for originality, but what about hidden folders and/or partitions?

but can you hide a folders from another admin user?
i fooled around with user permissions in vista and couldnt keep my main user from accessing files I tried to keep exclusive to my stealth user

I'd go for a couple of these in my WIP server. The relative slowness of the drive doesn't mean a lot in the face of being network-constrained anyway. :p

Back