2x 20 inch1600x900 in portrait for Samsung 30 inch 2560x1600 monitor

aphasia

[H]ard|Gawd
thinking about getting a 3 monitor setup. at the moment i have a 30' Samsung SyncMaster 305T+. its and older monitor, pretty basic (1x DVI-D port, 4port USB2 hub & no OSD just to buttons for brightness) despite this it was a quality screen at the time.

replacing the '30 isn't an option nor getting another 2 '30 monitors, just don't have the desk space. seen a bunch of people run 2 smaller monitors in portrait mode on either side of their main large screen. recon that looks like a decent option.

as my samsung is a 2560x1600, guess i need a 16:9/ 1600x900 20inch screens to fit the bill. i assume i'm looking at a 20inch monitors for this.

ideally i'd like screens with a wide viewing angle. i know my old samsung is a S-PVA screen which has an excellent viewing angle (specs recon 170°/160° which isn't far off) haven't been keeping up with panel tech so something with similar specs is preferred. the next preference might be a little more difficult to fulfil, screens with DisplayPort connections, using a 7970, already using the DVI-D port so have 2 mini Displayports free.

any suggestions on what to look for?

Dell makes this 20" that is pretty commonly used. Can be had on Craigslist for a pretty good price also.

Dell makes this 20" that is pretty commonly used. Can be had on Craigslist for a pretty good price also.

This. You want a 20" 1600x1200 monitor as that size has almost the identical pixel density as a 30". A 20" 1600x900 would be a tad too big, I think you would need a 18" or 19" display at that resolution.

as long as the horizontal res (1600) of the new monitor(s) matches the vertical res of my samsung '30 (1600). having said that would prefer wide screen monitors rather than 4:3 ratio monitors.

not too worried if the bezels of the new screens don't line up with my current '30, as long as the visible screen(s) lines up is the most important factor.

as long as the horizontal res (1600) of the new monitor(s) matches the vertical res of my samsung '30 (1600). having said that would prefer wide screen monitors rather than 4:3 ratio monitors.

not too worried if the bezels of the new screens don't line up with my current '30, as long as the visible screen(s) lines up is the most important factor.

Widescreens wont do that, they will be too big and you'll have to physically move them backward to line up visually. These monitors work better.
  • Dell 2001fp (S-IPS)
  • Dell 2007fp (S-IPS or S-PVA) [Get an IPS as there is a panel lottery with this model]
  • HP 2035 (IPS)
  • HP LP2065 (IPS)
  • Samsung 204B (TN)
  • Samsung 204T (S-PVA)
  • Samsung 214T (S-PVA [21.5"]) (Don't Recommend) [A bit too big]

fenixv from another thread found these HP's cheaply: HP LP2065

Just to add two NEC ones the 2090 uxi and 2190 uxp though these are certainly not cost efficient.

Back