2x8Gb, recommendations?

CoW]8(0)

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm considering a new build with 2x8Gb and then in a couple years adding another 2x8Gb (or higher).

Is there anything special when buying 8GB sticks that I should know? Do I need to worry about things like ECC? Does mixing brands become more of an issue?

Is anyone considering a 2x8Gb setup now? I suppose I could go with 4x4Gb and later down the road do a 4x8Gb when those become mainstream in pricing.

I'm just wondering if there are any drawbacks with a 4x8Gb and whether I need to worry about ECC with RAM modules this large. If I do, I might have to considering a MB and CPU combination that supports ECC.

I believe most will go for the 4x4 since it is half the cost or less than getting 8GB modules.

If 8GB sticks eventually take the cur that the others took, then you would probably save money by going 4x4 now and then 4x8 later when the prices drop.

I don't have any experience with 8GB sticks, but I don't see why 2x8 would have any more problems than 4x4 unless you go for the cheapest possible 2x8 kit instead of a nicer 4x4 one.

Your much better off just getting 4x4GB for now and worrying about upgrading to more later if you actually need it and are even using the same motherboard. A 16GB (4x4GB) 1600Mhz kit can be had for as little as $60 if you got in on one of Newegg's Black Friday deals.

I'm considering a new build with 2x8Gb and then in a couple years adding another 2x8Gb (or higher).
Not worth it IMO. The cost per gigabyte of 8GB sticks is currently around three times the cost per gigabyte of 4GB sticks. Get 4x4GB now and replace them with 4x8GB when 8GB sticks come down to a more reasonable price.

CoW]8(0);1038065220 said:
Is there anything special when buying 8GB sticks that I should know? Do I need to worry about things like ECC?
For an intel desktop platform you want UNREGISTERED NON-ECC memory. This applies regardless of module size but you have to pay more attention with 8GB sticks because desktop and server sticks are similar in price.

Does mixing brands become more of an issue?
I wouldn't expect module size to make much of a difference here.

I have 8GB already but am looking at getting 2x8GB ram sticks for a total of 24GB of ram. The prices are pretty high though. Wish there was a sale on one at least. I want to maximize my slots.

mmm, at that price (which is arround HALF the best i've seen previously) i'd say BUY for anyone who wants 16GB and thinks they may expand in future.

Just from a cost perspective, I'd go with 1 or 2 sets of 2x4GB 1333 memory or grab a deeply discounted 4x4GB set for now.

Even at 50% off, that 2x8GB set is still a more expensive route. 8-16GB of RAM coming from 4GB modules will do any home user just fine for the next couple/few years (if not longer).

And the way memory pricing is going, when Windows/applications/games get to the point of actually needing 16-64GB, then upgrade to 128GB for $12 in five to six years from now. You know, just to be safe. :p

If you really, really want it there is a pretty good newegg deal today for 2x8gb RAM for just $99.99. However I agree with the talk about 4gb sticks.

Back