3.3V X18-M 1.8" SSD to desktop SATA adapter woes.

ordovician

2[H]4U
So I picked up an X18-M for a desktop and didn't realize it uses micro SATA. :mad: Now I need to find an adapter cable that will 100% NOT fry this SSD when I hook it up. (Normal SSDs use 5V, these use 3.3V). I would like advice on what I should get that will 100% work. Thanks!

My Lenovo X200 came with a 1.8" to 2.5" adapter. Maybe you can find one of those instead of just a cable? All the cables I've seen do just 5v (like the one on my slimline optical drive).

Micro-SATA != Slimline SATA; those are two different connectors!

Best would be to take your X18-M with you and confirm it fits. Note that normal MOLEX connectors do not support 3.3V.

Dane elec adapter? Lots of them around since they had a pretty decent deal on a X18-M G1 + adapter for awhile.

How 'bout something like this?

It's a little cheaper.:)

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
http://www.microsatacables.com/ is the actual site for that eBay link. I never ended up buying anything from them, but I did a lot of looking there when there were some good 1.8" deals floating around. This is a 12" cable version of the eBay adapter, including the 5V-3.3V converter, for the same price. Depending on your exact setup, one may work better than the other. If you have a real SATA PSU that supplies 3.3V, this one is a straight cable adapter for only $6.25.

So I picked up an X18-M for a desktop and didn't realize it uses micro SATA. :mad: Now I need to find an adapter cable that will 100% NOT fry this SSD when I hook it up. (Normal SSDs use 5V, these use 3.3V). I would like advice on what I should get that will 100% work. Thanks!

Are you planning on hooking this up to a SATA power plug with 3.3v, or using the molex LP4 plug for power? If it's the latter, you'll definitely need an adapter with a voltage regulator to get 3.3v. I've tried the LP4 connector with this connector, but you might want to stay clear. I've bricked a few drives using this adapter. I'm not 100% convinced it's the culprit though, since the voltages on the uSATA end look good, and it consistently failed at the extraction phase of installing Win7 (with 0x80070002).

I was going to try this adapter next. I just haven't had the guts.

Let us know what works for you.

http://estore.circuitassembly.com/ has better shipping policies(within next business day) and similar items.

Micro-sata supplies 5v & 3.3v on different power connectors and it is upto the device to ignore or accept either/or which power signal it wants. So you can't actually fry it by plugging in something without voltage regulation just supplying 5v to it.

Back