3 ghz 630 to 4 ghz P4 EE in a Dell !!!

Can you take some pictures of the mod? It would be great to see how it look like before i do it myself.

But it is worth a try as long as I can undo my mod. (but thanks for help anyway) But does any one have a guide? (pictures?)

Zuckron said:
But it is worth a try as long as I can undo my mod. (but thanks for help anyway) But does any one have a guide? (pictures?)

Sorry...don't have any pictures.

If you use something like conductive silver paint then it's really easy to remove and the system will most likely just fail to boot if not compatible or may possibly start beeping.

Ok.. Thanks... So its just to connect the BSEL pins with the silver :) But I have a Prescott 530 and not a 630. Is it something different with that one?

Some says it wont work for the 530 cpu and some says it will.. ,but anyway.. Can you post some "step by step" pictures of the mod?

775%20grid.JPG

i found this pic on the net..

Socrilles17 said:
jmsandrsn I see you made some bank on my idea -- wheres my royalties :)

I definitely appreciate the info. I've probably sold 15-20 units. I'm afraid your royalties are tied up into some of my new inventory ;)

With the diagram above that BitchBreaker posted, please be aware that this assumes that you are looking at the CPU from the top side (the side with the heat spreader). The picture below gives the pin side view. You would need to connect the red and yellow pins together.

LGA775Underside.jpg

Sorry to bump this thread back from the dead but.... :)

Any success with P4 530/ 0J3492 Mainboard? This is the setup I have and would like to give it a go, but if it's a guaranteed no-go, it's not worth it obviously.

Also, where can you purchase conductive silver paint?

dak125 said:
Sorry to bump this thread back from the dead but.... :)

Any success with P4 530/ 0J3492 Mainboard? This is the setup I have and would like to give it a go, but if it's a guaranteed no-go, it's not worth it obviously.

Also, where can you purchase conductive silver paint?

In my opinion I would say it's a no-go. You can probably pick up a U7077 mainboard on eBay pretty cheap and maybe even sell your J3492 board for about the same amount. Do a search on eBay for U7077 (just make sure you get the right Dell product#).

I have a link to conductive sliver paint on the second page of the thread.

Wow, I tried this mod on my Dell E510 and it worked - for awhile. I first ran CPU-Z:
DELLocCPUZ.bmp

Then fired up Quake4 which ran for a few minutes then crashed (I'm guessing CPU heat). I then went into BIOS, not much to change in a Dell BIOS. Thereafter I could not get back into Windows, just bluescreen errors. Booted Memtest86 - errors - tried several sticks, even some OCZ Gold PC5300 but nothing got past test #3. Oddly, Memtest reported CPU at 3999MHz but CPU-Z had it at 3764 with multiplier of 14 ?

Anyway, I removed the mod and PC is running fine at 3Gig. But I'm curious if anyone else had success with this 5150. This Dell uses an Intel 945G chipset mobo (Connolly) that CPUZ reports as model 0KF623. Using Dell BIOS A04. Also, unmodded my PC5300 666mhz memory is running at 533mhz so that's a bummer. You think I just got a lame chip?
-------------------------------
stock Dell Dim E510
P4 630 SL7Z9 CHINA
2Gb OCZ Gold PC5300
dual DVD drives
evga 6800

Borkus said:
Wow, I tried this mod on my Dell E510 and it worked - for awhile. I first ran CPU-Z:
DELLocCPUZ.bmp

Then fired up Quake4 which ran for a few minutes then crashed (I'm guessing CPU heat). I then went into BIOS, not much to change in a Dell BIOS. Thereafter I could not get back into Windows, just bluescreen errors. Booted Memtest86 - errors - tried several sticks, even some OCZ Gold PC5300 but nothing got past test #3. Oddly, Memtest reported CPU at 3999MHz but CPU-Z had it at 3764 with multiplier of 14 ?

Anyway, I removed the mod and PC is running fine at 3Gig. But I'm curious if anyone else had success with this 5150. This Dell uses an Intel 945G chipset mobo (Connolly) that CPUZ reports as model 0KF623. Using Dell BIOS A04. Also, unmodded my PC5300 666mhz memory is running at 533mhz so that's a bummer. You think I just got a lame chip?
-------------------------------
stock Dell Dim E510
P4 630 SL7Z9 CHINA
2Gb OCZ Gold PC5300
dual DVD drives
evga 6800

It's most likely just a lame chip. Can you take a look at the bottom line of characters on the heat spreader and tell me what it says (this would be the FPO/BATCH number). Also, download the following program and tell me what it says for Req Vcore under the Startup colum (it's down toward the bottom). Here is the program: http://cpu.rightmark.org//download/rmclock_205_bin.exe

give it more vcore and a better heat sink and your all set(theres pins you can solder to do that) you need a beautiful chip to get a 1 ghz oc on stock volts... esp with a droop... only reason why im feeding my cpu 1.18v is because my vreg is broken and no matter what i set the voltage to it always gets fed 1.18v... no matter... my ES does 300x15 to get 4.5 ghz at that voltage :p

Borkus said:
Bottom line of the CPU is 5549A660.
Req. Vcore @ startup reads 1.388v

Thanks!

Looks like that chip is from China packaged in week 49 last year. Never really tried any from that week. The reading from RMClock indicates that you're CPU has default voltage of 1.3875v. We will need to know this when going over options to increase the default voltage. I think you're cooling is fine. The BTX design that Dell uses is a lot better than most people give it credit for. I think you really just need to increase the voltage a bit. I'll tell you which pins to connect.

First off, go up to the image that I had posted where I highlighted the pins that you need to connect to change to 1066 FSB (go back to the previous page). I have now also highlighted the VID pins up in the top left corner. If the picture does not reflect the new highlight then refresh your browser.

Please note the connections I am about to mention will only apply if your CPU has default voltage of 1.3875v (if it is something different then you will need to do a different combination of pins).

For 1.4125v (that would be a good place to start) you will need to connect the 2 green pins together.

For 1.4375v you will need to remove the connection on the 2 green pins and then connect the first 2 blue pins (starting on the left and going right, or more specifically it would the 4th and 5th pins in the third row).

For 1.4625v you can leave the 2 blue pins connected and then go back and connect the 2 green pins.

There are other voltage combinations possible BUT the ones I have given are the simplest because they only involve bridging pins together. To get other combination you would need to insulate certain pins and that can be a lot harder. Also, keep in mind that even though you are changing the default voltage by bridging those pins together RMClock will still only read the startup voltage as 1.3888v. However, the motherboard will implement whatever voltage you have programmed in with the connections (as evidence...the CPU should be a bit more stable when you go to 1.4125v and if not stable enough then go to the next setting).

Please let me know how this works.

EDIT: I will go ahead and just post the link to the picture again since since some people may have trouble with the previous picture refreshing.

LGA775Underside.jpg

ryuji said:
you didnt color any of them green... only red blue and yellow

Try hitting the refresh button on your browser.

EDIT: I went ahead and just added the revised picture in to my post above to make things easier.

Borkus said:
Oddly, Memtest reported CPU at 3999MHz but CPU-Z had it at 3764 with multiplier of 14 ?

Forgot to mention this yesterday, CPUz only shows a 14x multiplier because Intel Enhanced SpeedStep Technology (EIST) is kicking in while CPU is idle (or at least under easy load) and dropping the multiplier to 14x. If you were to start up something that pushes the CPU (like Prime95) you would see the CPUz reading dynamically change to 15x.

Im not sure if this is true or not, but from what Ive heard, the 63X CPU's are the only CPU's that can do this mod, becase it is said that the 3.0 and the EE were built in the same batch, and the 3.0 is simply a clocked down EE.

not quite.... the pin mod works on any cpu... for kicks and giggles i was thinking of doing it with my 570 engineering sample.. ill get around to it some time

ryuji said:
not quite.... the pin mod works on any cpu... for kicks and giggles i was thinking of doing it with my 570 engineering sample.. ill get around to it some time

I agree. I have done this mod with Intel 521 2.8GHZ CPU as well and it works fine.

I was thinking about trying to do the mod to a 920, has any1 ever had success with it?

I tried using a pencil and it did not seem to work....but not sure if a pencil would really do the trick (and yes the mobo does support pentium D

(I used my 630 in the mobo first and the mobo did change the speed on my 630 to 1066 fsb).

For the guy trying the mod on the 5150 you may need a bigger PSU, I think the 5150 is only 305 Watts (and I had to replace the PSU on my 8400 to get stability which is a 350 Watt PSU

Socrilles17 said:
I was thinking about trying to do the mod to a 920, has any1 ever had success with it?

I tried using a pencil and it did not seem to work....but not sure if a pencil would really do the trick (and yes the mobo does support pentium D

(I used my 630 in the mobo first and the mobo did change the speed on my 630 to 1066 fsb).

For the guy trying the mod on the 5150 you may need a bigger PSU, I think the 5150 is only 305 Watts (and I had to replace the PSU on my 8400 to get stability which is a 350 Watt PSU

I've tried it with both Cedar Mill (631, 641, etc) and Presler CPU's (920, 930, etc) with an XPS 400 and it would not even POST. The BIOS does support them since the same CPU works fine at default speed without the mod. I've tested the same CPU in overclockable motherboard and the chips are good enough so that they should at least POST at 1066 FSB. Not sure why it won't work.

I don't think you'll have any luck with the pencil.

So can I do this mod with an XPSgen4 (sig) with a 570J CPU, only by connecting the two CPU pins shown above? The system has a "925X/XE" mobo with 267MHz max FSB speed.

jon67 said:
So can I do this mod with an XPSgen4 (sig) with a 570J CPU, only by connecting the two CPU pins shown above? The system has a "925X/XE" mobo with 267MHz max FSB speed.

Yes, you can do the mod to that CPU. However, don't expect it to work unless your CPU can run 5.066 GHz on stock voltage. Needless to say, it's not going to happen. I've tried a few P4 640's to run at 266 FSB and I had one that was close (still not stable even after boosting voltage) but 4.26 GHZ is asking just a bit too much from a Prescott.

You're best bet is to acquire a P4 630 and try the mod. If no luck, then try another one if you chose. If you get one that works, then you can sell your P4 570 and should have a pretty nice net gain.

jmsandrsn said:
Yes, you can do the mod to that CPU. However, don't expect it to work unless your CPU can run 5.066 GHz on stock voltage. Needless to say, it's not going to happen. I've tried a few P4 640's to run at 266 FSB and I had one that was close (still not stable even after boosting voltage) but 4.26 GHZ is asking just a bit too much from a Prescott.

You're best bet is to acquire a P4 630 and try the mod. If no luck, then try another one if you chose. If you get one that works, then you can sell your P4 570 and should have a pretty nice net gain.
my 570ES does 5.4 ghz stock voltage... issue is my mobos broken and wont feed it anything but 1.18v so im stuck with a measly 300fsb 15 mult oc being my max :rolleyes: :(

Sorry so long, had to wait for my silver paint order. I did the 1066fsb mod & bridged the 2 green pins to bump voltage to 1.4125v. Booted Memtest which got a little further this time, test #4 about 4 minutes in, when it hit errors.
So then I install a 500 watt Ultra power supply; no better.

If I rerun Memtest right away, the subsequent test errors out sooner, like test #2. This leads me to believe it may be a heat issue. I did use thermal paste. The heatsink does feel warmer with the OC but not burning hot (you don't need to pull your hand off).

Borkus said:
Sorry so long, had to wait for my silver paint order. I did the 1066fsb mod & bridged the 2 green pins to bump voltage to 1.4125v. Booted Memtest which got a little further this time, test #4 about 4 minutes in, when it hit errors.
So then I install a 500 watt Ultra power supply; no better.

If I rerun Memtest right away, the subsequent test errors out sooner, like test #2. This leads me to believe it may be a heat issue. I did use thermal paste. The heatsink does feel warmer with the OC but not burning hot (you don't need to pull your hand off).

As long as you put an adequate layer of thermal paste on the CPU then I think you'll be good up to 1.4625v. I think it's more of an issue with the CPU either not being able to run that speed or needs more voltage at that speed. For instance, I've got a good P4 630 that has a default voltage of 1.2875 but I need to boost the voltage up to 1.4v for it to run 2 instances of Prime95 without errors.

I just opened another Dimension 5150 (these were recently on sale at Dell). This CPU is FPO/Batch 5608B132. Did just the 1066fsb mod, booted with Memtest86, right away I had errors.

Then I tried the older CPU with the 1.4125v mod in this new Dell. This time I used a different thermal compound & was liberal with it. Memtest completed an entire test. Booted windows, played around 5 or 10 mins before it blue screened. Didn't have my PCI-e 3D card installed so couldn't test Quake4 this time.

JMS, I'm willing to boost voltage altho my heatsink is pretty toasty as it is. On your 1.4375v mod, is it "4th and 5th pins" ? You have 4,5,&6 pins colored blue.

Borkus said:
I just opened another Dimension 5150 (these were recently on sale at Dell). This CPU is FPO/Batch 5608B132. Did just the 1066fsb mod, booted with Memtest86, right away I had errors.

Then I tried the older CPU with the 1.4125v mod in this new Dell. This time I used a different thermal compound & was liberal with it. Memtest completed an entire test. Booted windows, played around 5 or 10 mins before it blue screened. Didn't have my PCI-e 3D card installed so couldn't test Quake4 this time.

JMS, I'm willing to boost voltage altho my heatsink is pretty toasty as it is. On your 1.4375v mod, is it "4th and 5th pins" ? You have 4,5,&6 pins colored blue.

Pins 4, 5, & 6 are all VID pins but you only need to bridge the first and second one (or the 4th & 5th pins in the third row) to get 1.4375v. Also, you will need to remove the connection on the 2 green pins to go to 1.4375v. Finger nail polish with acetone works best. Just blot a paper towel and carefully remove it.

Also, on that second CPU you may want to use RMClock to check the default voltage. If it is lower than 1.3875v then you may have a lot more room to increase the voltage.

:D 1.4375v seems to be the magic #. Been running stable over an hour, Quake4 running smooth. Stock 305wt PSU. System is real quiet with idle CPU. You can hear fan speed increase when u load the CPU. I tried the 1.4375v mod on the newer CPU but Memtest errors out within seconds. But I'm quite happy with my 1 gig OC. Thank you Mr Andrsn and all!

Any app that'll show system/mobo temperature?
And, whats an overclocked 4GHz Dell worth I wonder?

Borkus said:
:D 1.4375v seems to be the magic #. Been running stable over an hour, Quake4 running smooth. Stock 305wt PSU. System is real quiet with idle CPU. You can hear fan speed increase when u load the CPU. I tried the 1.4375v mod on the newer CPU but Memtest errors out within seconds. But I'm quite happy with my 1 gig OC. Thank you Mr Andrsn and all!

Any app that'll show system/mobo temperature?
And, whats an overclocked 4GHz Dell worth I wonder?

Glad to hear that it's working. You may want to test the system with 2 instances of Prime95 and maybe run overnight or for at least 12 hours.

Also, with the other CPU did you check the default voltage with RMClock. The instructions I had given on changing voltage to 1.4125, 1.4375, and 1.4625 will only work if CPU has default of 1.3875. Please confirm the voltage and and I'll give you different instruction if default is something other than 1.3875v.

Back