30" Quest

Damnit! I wish it were in the U.S!

It's heavily backordered here...but they are supposed to ship a limited quantity next week. The bulk of backorders won't ship until late April. So if you really want one soon, place your order ASAP at an authorized dealer.

It's heavily backordered here...but they are supposed to ship a limited quantity next week. The bulk of backorders won't ship until late April. So if you really want one soon, place your order ASAP at an authorized dealer.

So if I don't order one now, there won't be a decent stock until well after late April?!

Also, do you have any suggestions for authorized dealers in the U.S? I've been looking at this monitor for the last 2 months, however, as I've mentioned in other posts, I never see any NEC monitors in any electronics stores. Any suggestions would be welcomed.

So if I don't order one now, there won't be a decent stock until well after late April?!

Also, do you have any suggestions for authorized dealers in the U.S? I've been looking at this monitor for the last 2 months, however, as I've mentioned in other posts, I never see any NEC monitors in any electronics stores. Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Yes, that's what I was told by an NEC rep. I suggest B&H in NYC. If you're local you can probably check it out in their store. Otherwise, they still have the cheapest mail order price at the moment and very good customer service.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?A=details&Q=&is=REG&O=productlist&sku=545569

I pre-ordered mine for $1500 at onsale.com but that price is long gone and they don't have the best record for customer service.

I finally was able to give my HP LP3065 a run last night with COD4, it's amazing. The monitor doesn't have any dead or stuck pixels, color is uniform, no backlight bleed. The only negative is a bit of shimmer on white backgrounds, this is normal for the 30" IPS panels from what I understand.

I'd recommend this monitor if you are looking for a 30" IPS. I'm pretty picky when it comes to hardware and monitors, and really this monitor blew me away. Vista looks amazing on it.

I finally was able to give my HP LP3065 a run last night with COD4, it's amazing. The monitor doesn't have any dead or stuck pixels, color is uniform, no backlight bleed. The only negative is a bit of shimmer on white backgrounds, this is normal for the 30" IPS panels from what I understand.

I'd recommend this monitor if you are looking for a 30" IPS. I'm pretty picky when it comes to hardware and monitors, and really this monitor blew me away. Vista looks amazing on it.
The HP is an IPS panel?? How much did you get it for?

Yes the HP is IPS, uses the same panel as the DELL 3007-WFP HC.

I got mine for $1025 shipped from Ebay (user: digitalave), it was new in box with the 3 year warranty. I think it retails for $1300-$1400 on HP's site. I've seen some go for as low as $800 without a stand. There are a few up there now.

Yes the HP is IPS, uses the same panel as the DELL 3007-WFP HC.

I got mine for $1025 shipped from Ebay (user: digitalave), it was new in box with the 3 year warranty. I think it retails for $1300-$1400 on HP's site. I've seen some go for as low as $800 without a stand. There are a few up there now.

You said you play CoD4 on it? Any noticable ghosting, tearing?

Damn lol. I dont have any glossy screens and Im going to have a 20in side panel. Not sure how well it will match. Other than that the HP is all Im looking for. Fairly cheap, more than 1 DVI input. Does anyone have a pic of the HP side by side with a non glossy screen?

Is there any word on availability of the LG W3000H-BN yet? I narrowed my choice of 30" monitors down to the HP or the LG (it will be for PC-only gaming) but I would prefer the latter for its more recent panel.

There are only 2 places in the UK claiming to have it, neither of which have good ratings :( . LG UK deny all knowledge of their own product! There is a place I trust which has stock of the new NEC, but I don't think that will be suitable for gaming, due to input lag.

[k]

[k]ar|;1032282833 said:
new NEC, but I don't think that will be suitable for gaming, due to input lag. [k]

I have a vague memory of someone saying that it's possible to turn off the scaler (or something equivalent) with the NEC, so when gaming at native res the input lag is reduced down to what you'd expect without all the extra circuitry. Anyone know if this is true or even possible? It might mean the NEC is good enough for gaming :D

Apologies for not supplying a link to where I read this, I suspect it might be bs.

I have the HP 3065 and it is definitely not glossy.
Too bad, there aren't that many glossy 30" displays. The only one I can think off hand would be the Gateway. Is the NEC glossy?

Thanks for the confirmation.

how is the Dell 3007WFP-HC? Gonna use it for PC gaming only, no console gaming

seems like a decent panel... anybody here using this one? opinions, remarks etc would be appreciated :)

The 3007WFP-HC is still the best low lag 30" out there. Although, I am still interested in finding out the input lag numbers for the new LG and NEC before I purchase.

I've not seen any figures despite exhaustive googling, although my guess is that as the LG has no scaler, but the NEC does, the LG will be similar to the 3007 and the NEC more like the 3008 in terms of lag (unless it has some kind of pass-through at native res).

I think I'm right in saying the LG and NEC both use the new Q5 revision of the LG's 30" panel, so any difference will be down to the image processing. The 3007WFP-HC and the HP 3065 (which I was looking at as you can't get a 3007 in the UK for love nor money) both use the earlier Q3 revision. Specs for the panels are here

[k]

The 3007WFP-HC is still the best low lag 30" out there. Although, I am still interested in finding out the input lag numbers for the new LG and NEC before I purchase.

on the Dell website they advertise it as having a 12ms response time... should this concern me? what exactly does this number mean to me?

sorry for the noobish questions

[k]ar|;1032288204 said:
my guess is that as the LG has no scaler.

I think I'm right in saying the LG and NEC both use the new Q5 revision of the LG's 30" panel, so any difference will be down to the image processing.[/URL]

[k]

Spot on, difference will be the extra 90 series electronics. Both will be great products but its an apples to oranges comparison. If your doing hardcore photoshop work then the NEC will be a better choice but that doesnt mean the LG isnt any good. Also the $500+ price difference.

Both will use A grade panels unlike the Dell.

LG is going to be S-IPS isn't it?

NEC's are H-IPS and that helps with some of the viewing angle inversion issues (extra polarizer filter).

LG is going to be S-IPS isn't it?

NEC's are H-IPS and that helps with some of the viewing angle inversion issues (extra polarizer filter).

Are we sure that the NEC is H-IPS? I have not seen any spec that says that. In fact I have not herd of anybody making a 30 inch H-IPS panel. Don't get me wrong; I hope you are right.

Dave

It seems like all, Dell, NEC and LG themselves will be using the the same panel which is LG's. I know there are supply problems with this panel and maybe some quality issues too. Notice that they are taking their time to come out with these 30" models and Dell is heavily delayed with the 3008.

on the Dell website they advertise it as having a 12ms response time... should this concern me? what exactly does this number mean to me?

response time is the time it takes a pixel to change. The larger the number the more motion blur you will experience. 12ms is reasonable. Many people have reported good results from gaming on this display.

Input Lag is the amount of time it takes a display to respond to user input. The newer 2008 LCD that incorperate a scaler chip are much worse than the 3007WFP in this regard.

Hope that helps

Dave

response time is the time it takes a pixel to change. The larger the number the more motion blur you will experience. 12ms is reasonable. Many people have reported good results from gaming on this display.

Input Lag is the amount of time it takes a display to respond to user input. The newer 2008 LCD that incorperate a scaler chip are much worse than the 3007WFP in this regard.

Hope that helps

Dave

it does thanks!

I just upgraded my old Gateway 20.5" to a 26" sammy and I can't stand it! once you get used to a PVA panel, a TN is just garbage. COuldn't find a PVA 26" that wasn't quite a bit more than the sammy, so I figured WTF??? 30" here I come! :D

guess I'm just a bit worried about gaming performance on the thing, but hearing positive user response puts my mind at ease

Are we sure that the NEC is H-IPS? I have not seen any spec that says that. In fact I have not herd of anybody making a 30 inch H-IPS panel. Don't get me wrong; I hope you are right.
Dave

I'm not sure either, but at least the usually accurate Prad.De is reporting H-IPS for LCD3090WQXi:

http://www.prad.de/new/news/shownews_tft1429.html

I'm almost ready to order one, but will wait till somebody gives 1st impressions and measures one unit.

Wow, I hope that is true! Then we will not have to put up with that sparkly antiglare coating.

Thanks; I had not seen that review.

Dave

Not really a review, but it had an interesting tidbit, it seems to take internal calibration one step further, with the new 3090, you can plug the calibrator directly into the monitor. No PC needed at all.

I thought I'd post some of my feelings since I read alot of other people's opinions in this thread... especially regarding response times and TN display quality.

You can get some TN panels that look good (and quite a good bang for the $500 and under buck) after you tweak their settings - though only if you are sitting in front of the monitor at a good angle. However I find myself mostly sitting in front of my monitors. As for the color gamut I don't know if I can even see the really extreme deviations of the full color gamut.. never could see those optical illusion poster things (a la "mallrats" lol). If you are gaming a lower response time is important in games that have alot of screen panning. In my opinion, no matter what anyone says you will get screen blurring when you spin your field of vision around quickly if your response time is 12ms. I've seen that on my 37" westinghouse which has 12ms response time for example.

This might seem a bit off topic but it relates to the size and response time of the 30" screens: I recently upgraded to a 28" (27.5") hannspree HF289H (the newer model) tn that uses a samsung panel I believe. This new monitor can be kept a lot closer to me on the desk, so it is still quite large perspective wise. After I tweaked the settings (brightness down to zero in osd, contrast, nvidia vibrance etc).. it looks quite good even next to my 24" widescreen FW900 crt which sets the standard. I do have to tilt the monitor upward slightly on its base to keep the brightness/color correct and to avoid that ' solarize / shadow effect' at the extremes since my desk is low, but its not a problem. I'll probably find something to boost it up a bit higher so I dont have to tilt it that 5degrees or so. Also of note on this monitor is that is has a 2ms response time. Its much better for games than my 37" westinghouse, and I would think than the 30" and other monitors with 12ms response. Theres no motion blur when I pan my field of view anymore, and I don't have to pan my eyes and/or head to see the corner HUD elements/maps. Bigger, after a point, is not better (though the monitor is still quite large since I can keep it closer than the westy). Of further note - I'm running games in its native resolution of 1920x1200.

Which brings me to my next point. Trying to play games at 2560x1600 to me is a waste of hardware considering todays hardware necessitating extreme sli $ (this may change next year with the *real* new nvidia architecture). Regardless of cost it is not the optimum native resolution for games and 1080p movies in my opinion, considering that this is LCD technology. 1920x1080 / x1200 is perfect for today's games and 1080p movies in 1:1 'per-pixel' - and you don't need quintuple sli to do it (exaggeration), nor upscaling of movies. Most games will even run 1920x 1080/1200 decently on a single 8800gt or 9600gt except crisis.. and even higher fps depending how much of an AA snob you arern't, or if you have sli.

All that said I am not railing against 30" by any means. I do think 28 - 30" screens are the perfect size screen for a desktop dimension/perspective wise. I liked my 37" 1080p but it was too big - I would really have to keep it back 4' from the desk to be at the right perspective size ( I had mine at 36" - 40" away). I do like the 30" screen's 2560x1600 resolution and high quality panel/color as an application workspace / desktop real estate. Used as such would also not require a better response time. In summary I would love a 30" but not as my primary monitor for games, and not as my 1080p native/1:1 pixel movie playback device. In the following years I might get one or similar at the right price, but I would keep it in a multi-monitor setup as a side panel for application workspace/desktop real estate. :D

I thought I'd post some of my feelings since I read alot of other people's opinions in this thread... especially regarding response times and TN display quality.
You can get some TN panels that look good (and quite a good bang for the $500 and under buck) after you tweak their settings - though only if you are sitting in front of the monitor at a good angle.

Seconded. TN gets a worse rap than it deserves, that comes largely from old second hand information. The Cons of TN are largely myth at this point.

Myth 1: Terrible color quality.
No, not really. I had a PVA and TN screen. Both had just about perfect color out of the box (but gamma is not quite right on either). Right now I have my TN next to my CRT, my TN screen has better color. It never looks over saturated or the wrong tone, it always looks just right. My CRT is older and I can't get it's tone to look quite right. But it does have blacker blacks, but that applies to all LCD types.

Myth 2: Much worse viewing angles than PVA/MVA.
Again, not really. Worse viewing angles in the vertical direction, but in the horizontal direction they are actually better, that is part of the reason I replaced my PVA screen with a TN. TN is mainly a problem if you look at the monitor from below.

I am thinking of three monitor for my next monitor:
Dell 3007 if a good sale hits.
BenQ G2400W if I cheap out.
NEC 2490 SV if I want the best quality available for a "reasonable" price.

That Benq seems like a screaming deal. Available under $400 and has blacks and contrast matching the best monitors, colors out the box are better than any monitor costing even double on top of that you get zero lag. The only price you pay is vertical viewing angles. I wouldn't recommend TN (or *VA) for serious image editing because viewing angle issues can turn up in critical shadow detail level work, for that get an IPS. Otherwise TN is fine.

On 30" panels. IMO you don't get these primarily for gaming but for the screen real estate, if I wanted a big gaming/media monitor, I would get a TV. You can get a 40"+ 1080p LCD TV with a ton of inputs for less than most 30" monitors.

Snowdog I had the BenqG2400w in my list of options before I bought the newer Hannspree 289 model (supposed to be better blacks and overall tweaked vs their previous model). The BenQ sounds good too. I also was looking at the richness of the 24" HP w2408h which looks really good in person, if you aren't entirely against glossy screens. I have a glossy screen on my hp laptop and love it so I wouldn't mind. I've also considered 30" dells, etc in the past before I bought the westinghouse 37w3 that I just replaced. The reports about the Hannspree HF289H caught my eye, then BB dropped the price $50, and on top of that I got a 15% off birthday certificate from BB so I went for it.

Thanks for the support on my position too.

I'm not a fan of anti-glare coatings that are too sparkly/grainy by the way. I saw someone else mention it about one of the 30" models in this thread. I used to have a viewsonic 20.1" 2025wm which had a terribly grainy coating unless it had really bright room lighting hitting it to mute the effect.

Back