$30 Shipped Linksys WRT160N-RM 802.11n Router Refurb FSSS

doyoumaking

Limp Gawd
$30 Shipped Linksys WRT160N-RM 802.11n Router Refurb FSSS at amazon.com.

This is a great price for a great router. FSSS and prime makes it really awesome.

Last edited:
I'm using this refurb right now. I got a v3.

1. No gigabit
2. No, normal wireless-n. No Dual-band stuff here.
3. No external antenna limits the range compared to my old WRT54GL
4. No comment on performance, since I don't have any N devices.

I just gone one. Received on Wed, and got a v3. I haven't put DD-WRT on it yet since it seems to be working wonderfully.

refurbished ones seem to be everywhere at this price or cheaper. so i wouldnt worry about rushing to decide to buy this.

i think i have one of the usb range extenders that go with these. i might buy one.

whats the point of an 'N' router with only 10/100 ports? isn't the wired switch the bottleneck then? i have the gb version 320n, and get speeds from 12-16MB's a sec from my file server

it will most likely be a V3. They haven't made V1.1-V2 in quite some time.

Shaft, I think you can stream HD wirelessly on N routers. AFAIK, that was one of the main motivations for the standard, but you don't need all of that to stream HD.

On the wired side, AFAIK, 100 Mb/s is adequate for HD.

Out of curiousity, could you plug these into a modem/router combo box and use it for the wireless instead of the box's wireless? We've got a Linksys WCG 200 and the wireless connection likes to flake out when there's more than one thing connected to it at a time.

I'm hoping to just disable the wireless on the WCG 200, then just plug this in (or something similar) into one of the open ports and use it for the wireless.

ForeStorm you should be able to disable routing and just use it as an AP (access point).

Both v1, v3 support DD-WRT. I run it on my v1 with little trouble. DD-WRT has many options like AP and WDS.

It's not he greatest router in the world, but for $30 you can't go wrong.

Are you sure about stuttering at 1080p on a full duplex 100Mbps connection?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_high_definition_optical_disc_formats#Technical_details

Max bandwidth should be around 88 Mbps (40 Video and 48 Max for sound and Captions) and everything would be buffered during a stream connection to the content. It shouldn't have any issues on a 100 Mbps connection. Also MKV files and the like are pushing even less bandwidth, so I don't see the requirement for gigabit. Sure it's a nice to have however...

88 Mbps of one way traffic seems like a lot for 100Mbps. Then you have to consider fast-forwarding/rewinding, commentary windows and other extras, other bandwidth on the network, etc. What if you wanted to download a file while watching hidef? Someone wanted to watch a DVRed show at the same time?

Max bandwidth should be around 88 Mbps (40 Video and 48 Max for sound and Captions)

Max is closer to ~48, not 48+40, at least for Blu-ray.
("Maximum Bitrate: Audio+Video+Subtitles = 48mbit")

Unless you're only a few feet away, on a single-band N router the 100mbit wired isn't going to be a significant bottleneck.

[I have a gigabit switch running to my server, main PC, and media center PC, and my wireless AP connects (via it's 10/100 connection) to the same switch.]

I got mine at $35 shipped, and it arrived yesterday. Wasted no time in throwing dd-wrt on (my favorite firmware ever). My T400 has been pulling these speeds constantly (thanks for the horrendous upload RR) for the last 13 hours or so over a draft-n wpa2-psk connection and it has been rock solid. I have been mobile, too-range is solid everywhere in my house, and even in the driveway and backyard. I pulled in to my driveway and my phone detected the network and started pushing emails right away-awesome for someone who doesn't have a data plan. No gigabit is a bummer, but for $35 can you really complain?

741879429.png

This router is the new WRT54G.

Back