$300 sound bar

Droc

2[H]4U
Im looking for peoples personal recommendations on soundbars.

Im not looking for a debate on soundbar vs a full setup or some hipster speakers. Getting a new TV (55 plasma) on the condition from the wife we dont have speakers everywhere.

So, a sub $300 soundbar with a wireless sub available in Canada. Any suggestions?

I had the entry level Yamaha sound bar. Just bought it to see if we would like it (sound wise and aesthetics). We did, but it sounded like a $250 sound bar. I am replacing it with a Def Tech sound bar and receiver.

I just put it up and it is nice. Just know you are getting a sub $300 sound bar, its going to sound like a sub $300 sound bar.

Aside, we did not care if it simulated any surround effect, we just wanted more volume and fuller sound than the TV speakers could offer. All that without cluttering the room. We have the TV ceiling mounted.

got my dad a Vizio sound bar; was around $100. Works great, and much better than the tv speakers.
Although that particular model didn't come with a sub, I know they do offer one with a sub (not sure if it's wireless though, or the cost)

I've been using the Sony HT CT150 for about 18 months now, and really like it.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-HT-CT150-Sound-Bar-System/dp/B003C1AO2I

Sounds good. And it has very nice HDMI repeater and pass-through support built in. So, you can use it for a small home entertainment setup. I've got an XBOX 360 S, Sony TV, Sony Blu-Ray, and HTPC all connected through the CT150. Along with a Harmony 700, makes a nice little system.

Sony does have a newer device, but I don't think it has the same HDMI support that the CT150 does.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I have a Sharp soundbar I purchased a month ago. I highly recommend not buying it. It frequently loses CEC sync with the TV requiring a reset on both devices.

You don't have to spend thousands on a sound bar to get HQ audio, but your room environment and improper system configuration can make a great system sound underwhelming. I have a Yamaha YSP-2200 sound projector that took over AVR duties, and while it lacks the same "presence" as a discrete speaker system, it's much more flexible than my older setup with Polk speakers and Onkyo AVR. In the early days of first use, there were more than a few times when I caught myself reacting to sounds "behind" me even though I knew that I didn't have rear speakers anymore. The subwoofer is pretty nice as well (for a moderate size living room).

I've been looking at getting the Sony HT CT150 for use with my bedroom TV.

Move out of apartments and drill some fucking holes!

I'm married so I have that part covered.

Back on topic. If you have a realistic expectation on what quality and quantity of sound you are going to get from a sound bar, I think you will be very satisfied. I will post a picture or two whenever I get to it. Very clean look.

Back