3007 HC makes noise!

zzz

Gawd
I think it started happening ever since I watched a movie last night for the first time--that must have broke it in. Now, as you increase the brightness, the frequency and volume of the backlight squeal increases. If you're not sure if your monitor does this, turn the brightness to the highest, put your ear to the back grill, and press the power button to see if you hear a change.

I don't want to be stuck with the lowest brightness setting, and I'm also not sure if I want to return it since the next one might very well have this problem too.

I think it started happening ever since I watched a movie last night for the first time--that must have broke it in. Now, as you increase the brightness, the frequency and volume of the backlight squeal increases. If you're not sure if your monitor does this, turn the brightness to the highest, put your ear to the back grill, and press the power button to see if you hear a change.

I don't want to be stuck with the lowest brightness setting, and I'm also not sure if I want to return it since the next one might very well have this problem too.

Hi ZZZ,

Bummer! There's been a few reports of the older 3007 making some noise, it's odd that
yours was quiet until the movie. You might try unplugging and trying a different outlet,
or running it off a UPS if you have one, to see if that changes anything. Did you do anything
else to your setup before playing the movie? Add speakers, change vid cards, ?

And how did the movie look?

CAMster

I didn't change any config. I'm almost positive I would have noticed this earlier if it existed before. I just tried using a different outlet instead of the Surge Protector, but it didn't change anything.

The movie performance was great, and the wide aspect ratio is way better than watching DIVX movies on my 4:3 19". I still use ZoomPlayer though, to make it much bigger and cut off a small amount on the edges (I suppose that's because movies use 16:9 instead of 16:10).

I just got the same buzzing sound as you, however, after it warmed up, it went away, sooooo i duno...???

I don't think I have the buzzing, but then again I have two computers right near the monitor (one directly behind it), so I probably wouldn't hear it anyway. ;)

I do always keep the 3007 at maximum brightness though.

mine is down to 18

is there no OSD for like contrast and color settings for this thing?

mine is down to 18

Nope, it's one of the ways Dell keeps the price down. You should be
able to control those values using your video card settings.

CAMster

The new NEC 2690 has this buzzing problem also. Some claim to have successfully returned their monitors as defective because of this. The buzzing is being attributed to a poor spec for the power supply. Both the Dell and NEC products are in excess of $1500 and should not have these problems.

mine is down to 18

How do you know what number you're at? Mine doesn't show anything when I'm changing brightness, so are you just counting how many presses away you are from max brightness?

No there are no settings like that built in to the monitor. Since it's fully DVI (digital only), you adjust all those settings through your video card settings.

How do you know what number you're at? Mine doesn't show anything when I'm changing brightness, so are you just counting how many presses away you are from max brightness?

No there are no settings like that built in to the monitor. Since it's fully DVI (digital only), you adjust all those settings through your video card settings.

You have to plug in the usb cable to ur pc, then install the driver. Then the OSD will appear when you press + or -

I just powered up my computer again, and the screen is quieter than before. Maybe it gets worse as it heats up.

You have to plug in the usb cable to ur pc, then install the driver. Then the OSD will appear when you press + or -
That seems simple enough, but doesn't work for me. I plugged in the USB, and XP did its standard detection. I put in the 3007 CD and ran "monitor.exe", English button, and it describes how to unzip "ug_en.zip". In the zip there's a few guides for FYI. No drivers. I also right-clicked/Install on "3007WFP.inf" in the main CD dir, but still there's no OSD that shows the brightness. :confused:

That seems simple enough, but doesn't work for me. I plugged in the USB, and XP did its standard detection. I put in the 3007 CD and ran "monitor.exe", English button, and it describes how to unzip "ug_en.zip". In the zip there's a few guides for FYI. No drivers. I also right-clicked/Install on "3007WFP.inf" in the main CD dir, but still there's no OSD that shows the brightness. :confused:

You need to go into the drivers directory and run setup.exe. It will ask you to reboot when it's done installing, but for me it worked right away.

Nope, it's one of the ways Dell keeps the price down. You should be
able to control those values using your video card settings.

CAMster
Sounds like the perfect candidate for a Spyder 2 Express Colorimeter...it measures the colors on screen, tweaks the videocard driver settings and then creates a profile that loads with windows. http://www.colorvision.com/product-mc-s2e.php

edit- no, I don't work for Colorvision :p

So does anyone else with an HC hear a high pitched noise at max brightness? I need to decide whether to RMA. I don't know whether another panel I'd get would have the exact same issue, so it's hard to decide....but it sucks not being able to run at max brightness.

Dude you paid probably $1500 bucks for that monitor. Dont settle for something that is half ass, if you cant use max brightness because of the noise call Dell and get it replaced. They will cross-ship you another one. Keep calling them and complaining until you get one that works. That's why have you a 3+ year warranty.

I had a problem with my E228WFP and I called them. They overnighted me another one and it was very painless.

Dude you paid probably $1500 bucks for that monitor. Dont settle for something that is half ass, if you cant use max brightness because of the noise call Dell and get it replaced. They will cross-ship you another one. Keep calling them and complaining until you get one that works. That's why have you a 3+ year warranty.

I had a problem with my E228WFP and I called them. They overnighted me another one and it was very painless.
I agree, and I'll probably return it. But I was hoping to find out if this problem exists with every HC.

Regarding cross shipping, from what I've heard, if you ask for a replacement they will ship you a refurbished one, so the thing to do is return it and buy another.

I agree, and I'll probably return it. But I was hoping to find out if this problem exists with every HC.

Regarding cross shipping, from what I've heard, if you ask for a replacement they will ship you a refurbished one, so the thing to do is return it and buy another.

Yes, they will ship a refurb if you are not within your 21 day return window. I was still within mine and got another brand new monitor.

I just got off the phone with Dell....had to wait for 10 min for the girl to enter in all the info! They are cross shipping a _new_ one with a shipping label on it, to use on my existing one. It's a good thing too, since these things would probably cost quite a bit to ship on your own.

Unfortunately, the replacement's return policy will fall under the original one's 21-day period, so I'll have like 1 day to evaluate it. But the rep said they can work with me if I need an extra day or two.

Heh. Hopefully you actually get the shipping label. I was told there would be a prepaid label in the box and to call the number and UPS would come pick it up. Of course I open it and there is no label and a few emails and calls later and I still have nothing, however, they say the label is on the way. I guess we will see.

One guy told me just to call fedex and they would come pick up the box without a prepaid label, yeah ok, thanks indian tech support.

The new one came in, and I've been trying to break it in. So far, it also emits the same noise, but it's a little quieter. I'll leave it on and playing movies overnight to see if it gets any louder.

I really am being picky with this, and it still seems like the best monitor out there by far. With the new one, at two brightness levels down from the highest, it's more or less inaudible.

For the moment I'm running a nice 5120x1600 res. It's pretty insane, and to the point of overkill. But if I was doing serious CAD, I'd definitely appreciate it.

Back