300GB Holographic Optical Disk

sirsnits

[H]ard|Gawd
as the title explains,
visit here

this is amazing.

its not a link to anything bad, its safe, i had a few complaints in diff forums about my posts looking like spam.

defakto said:
vapor ware, these have been in development for like 10 years now...

That doesn't mean that it won't happen. 10 years of hardware development normally gets you somewhere, maybe this is the year :)

Seems like a nice idea but as others have said, its been talked about for ages but not actually implemented. That and the fact companies would just rather use tapes because theyre faster and higher capacity, you just cant put them near really powerful magnets lol.

Holographic disks are nice but they wont gain any market share until they can push a higher transfer speed and hold more than about 3tb i reckon. Give it time, im sure theyll make tapes redundant but for now and the near future tapes are still a better option.

As for home users, if the drives and disks are cheap then itll be awesome cause tapes drives cost a tonne :p

For home users Blu-Ray will probably be the next big thing, with Capacities up to 50 gigs per disc now, and climbing up to 200 gigs per disc soon.

Lest you guys forget, a DLT or LTO tape is about 4X the width of a DVD-RAM disk.. or DVD-R (in a datacenter environment they use cases for the disks). So for space issues, they store 4x the data.

Big companies such as IBM are looking at the amount of data that can be stored per square inch. Space -wise, a 400GB LTO tape vs 300GB optical disk, your looking at 400GB vs 1200GB.

I know which one I would go with. The 400GB LTO tapes cost around $80 too! Were they to ramp up production such as they do now with DVD-R & CD-R disks, costs for holographic disks should drop down to the same price range as DVD & CD's.

Dumass_Freakboy said:
Lest you guys forget, a DLT or LTO tape is about 4X the width of a DVD-RAM disk.. or DVD-R (in a datacenter environment they use cases for the disks). So for space issues, they store 4x the data.

Big companies such as IBM are looking at the amount of data that can be stored per square inch. Space -wise, a 400GB LTO tape vs 300GB optical disk, your looking at 400GB vs 1200GB.

I know which one I would go with. The 400GB LTO tapes cost around $80 too! Were they to ramp up production such as they do now with DVD-R & CD-R disks, costs for holographic disks should drop down to the same price range as DVD & CD's.

Precisely. As the website infers- it is a simple chemical resin/matrix- nothing precise or magical other than flatness and purity; which have been addressed for 20 years with optical media.

The real trick is the hardware- and it looks like some smart people are on it.

duuuuuumb said:
as the title explains,
visit here

this is amazing.

its not a link to anything bad, its safe, i had a few complaints in diff forums about my posts looking like spam.

i was the first person here to see that and ask. how far is this technology? and, why not forget about hddvd or blu-ray, and go directly to this?

stopmenow said:
i was the first person here to see that and ask. how far is this technology? and, why not forget about hddvd or blu-ray, and go directly to this?
Well, this tech was touted years ago, but I have yet to see a product on it. I remember reading about it in the late 90s, when 'they' were claiming 100 GB, which was huge for those days (2-8 GB HDDs). Considering that it's been seven or more years since and there still isn't anything available, I would not hold my breath.

It actualy looks like they are going to start selling them later this year. Which means practicaly nothing to desktop users as it will most likely be very expensive. Looking at the drive itself, it looks like a 2 foot long 5.25 floppy holder.. It's huge.

moetop said:
It actualy looks like they are going to start selling them later this year. Which means practicaly nothing to desktop users as it will most likely be very expensive. Looking at the drive itself, it looks like a 2 foot long 5.25 floppy holder.. It's huge.

Dang, that is big. I do figure that they'll eventually be able to condense it down to the size of a typical CD drive.

stopmenow said:
iwhy not forget about hddvd or blu-ray, and go directly to this?
The reason for that is because this tech seems to be very expensive (since only one company developed it, apparently) AND (more importantly) the lack of DRM stuff on the disk, which is a deal-killer for the Hollywood types, who require that the evil consumer cannot copy the data off the device easily.

stopmenow said:
they could replace harddrives with this, one day. very cool tech!
Bzzt. Wrong. The seek times on this are like a *second* or something. Transfer rates are okay, but by the time they hit the market (I predict 2008, no sooner) hard drives will be that fast. The only thing this is good for is backing up large amounts of data. It might put the hurt on tape drives, but not hard drives any time soon.

If I have to hold the disc in front of the laser like that will shakey hang over hands make it difficult to watch a movie?

;)

mattarse said:
If I have to hold the disc in front of the laser like that will shakey hang over hands make it difficult to watch a movie?

;)
I would worry about burning my fingers on that purple laser! Forget about watching a movie!

Back