300GB VelociRaptor not 2.5 in the icepack?

defuseme2k

[H]ard|Gawd
I just bought a 300gb velociraptor from a local brick and motar (reputable, or well as close to it as one could hope). My problem is... it doesn't look ANYTHING like any of the pictures I've seen. It doesn't have the fins on it I'm used to seeing even on the older generation 36, 74, or 150gb models (kind of a heatsink like look). I really am questioning this thing, like maybe it is black market.

I thought all of the velociraptors were 2.5" drives in an enclosure that made them fit in a 3.5 inch bay. Their term for this thing is the 'icepack' enclosure. Hell even the pictures on the oustside of the box are different. However, either way, if this is really a 10K rpm sata 300 blah blah 300gb drive, then maybe its legit and I didn't know they made them this way.

I wanted to buy one at retail for the box and all, but I just smell fish. Am I paranoid?

I want it. How do I make sure I get that?

I'm going to return this one then. The damn picture on the box should show what is really in there ;).

thats odd.. ive never seen a 300GB VR not come with the icepack.. id be spending that back as quick as possible.. i almost baked my 300GB VR by taking the icepack off mine just to see what the difference in cooling is with it on and off..

thats odd.. ive never seen a 300GB VR not come with the icepack.. id be spending that back as quick as possible.. i almost baked my 300GB VR by taking the icepack off mine just to see what the difference in cooling is with it on and off..

Well, I don't know. I can see how a 2.5" drive would get hot as hell without it. This is a full 3.5" disk, not a 2.5". Thats what is odd to me. It looks NOTHING like a raptor, at all. It looks more like a 500GB seagate than anything else. I'll UL a picture of it later tonight.

There are 3 versions of the velociraptor. The icepack is a joke, it doesn't need it for cooling, and the icepack just makes the drive louder. Its really just there so the drive fits in a 3.5" drive slot and it makes it look hardcore.

Check your model number and warranty info on WD's website.

WD3000BLFS - No icepack
WD3000HLFS - Backplate ready icepack
WD3000GLFS - Icepack with design oversight (not backplate ready)

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?DriveID=494

There are 3 versions of the velociraptor. The icepack is a joke, it doesn't need it for cooling, and the icepack just makes the drive louder. Its really just there so the drive fits in a 3.5" drive slot.

Check your model number and warranty info on WD's website.

WD3000BLFS - No icepack
WD3000HLFS - Backplate ready icepack
WD3000GLFS - Icepack with design oversight (not backplate ready)

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?DriveID=494

Yes, but the one without the icepack is a 2.5" drive from what I read. This is a FULL 3.5" drive that I just pulled out of the box. It looks nothing like ANY pictures I've seen. I haven't had time to take a picture of it, plus I'm on a vpn doing some vmware work, so I can't get it uploaded at the moment anyway.

I went back to the store, and grabbed another one off the shelf, and made them open it to compare. COMPLETELY different. What do you know.

What a bunch of bullshit, but I guess it happens. Thanks for all the help.

Some kid probably pulled the old switcheroo so he could get it for like $60. :D

Yes, but the one without the icepack is a 2.5" drive from what I read. This is a FULL 3.5" drive that I just pulled out of the box. It looks nothing like ANY pictures I've seen. I haven't had time to take a picture of it, plus I'm on a vpn doing some vmware work, so I can't get it uploaded at the moment anyway.

you got shafted by an employee or customer doing the switching trick.

you are basically sol.

Well, was the box sealed when you brought it home from the store? Is there a SN sticker on the outside of the box that matches the drive?

If your answers are no and no, the you are SOL.

Don

I went back to the store, and grabbed another one off the shelf, and made them open it to compare. COMPLETELY different. What do you know.

What a bunch of bullshit, but I guess it happens. Thanks for all the help.

I'm glad you got it worked out!

Back