30gig IPOD video HELP!

I got it as a gift and it was working all fine untill last night. I put some photos on it. Then I dissconnect the ipod to check the pics, and it worked just fine. Plugged it back in to put some more pics on it, and a cd I just ripped to itunes. Put some more pics and the cd on it and unplugg it. Go to check everything out and all my music and pics are gone. Im like WTF, so i hook it back up but it says there was some kind of error with the photos. Mycomputer>Ipod>Photos> & delete all of them. Error message has stopped. Put all my music back on to the IPOD, takes about 2 hours(no usb 2.0, blahh) click the eject ipod button and it tell me theres other aplications using it. So I close everythign and anything having to do with my songs, media player, etc etc and it still saying that other application is using it. So i Hold down the middle click button and the main menu button so it will restart(so i can safely dissconnect it) and it does. So i unhook it and check it out but theres no music on the damn thing again! And its showing 22.87 gigs left out of 27. What the hell did I do wrong? And does apple have a tech line because there support site blows.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Oops

Why don't you just restore your ipod and try again? If you have multiple media programs all trying to access your ipod that might be a problem.

Yes they do have a support line. 800-apl-care I believe

Use Apple restore software found on thier website. That will wipe the HD, then you can start over, and do it all at once this time.

the same exact thing happened to me, where it would show there is data on the disk but nothing shows up. i tried restoring it but the ipod wouldnt function.

if there is an Apple store near you, take it to them and tell them it was DOA. they should replace it with no hassle. they did that for me.

I got one of these too. It's a shame you can't just drag and drop files to it. Instead you have to deal with this BS iTunes. Is there a hack for this yet?

Its working all good now, hopefully it will after I add pics,movies and album art.
frown.gif

sitheris said:
I got one of these too. It's a shame you can't just drag and drop files to it. Instead you have to deal with this BS iTunes. Is there a hack for this yet?

Yeah, it's called ipod linux.

sitheris said:

iTunes really is the smoothest and easiest interface for the iPod. Once you get used to using it and knowing how it works, I don't see how anyone would want to use a drag and drop method. But to each his own...

It's the truth. I had major problems with iTunes at first but if you actually take the time to read the help file (yes, Apple apps tend to actually have helpful help files :rolleyes: ) it is a great piece of software. I really like it not but, once again, I did not like it at first, especially having sold of all my desktop PCs and being down to nothing more than my iBook (I moved out of the country).

I know it gets frustrating when things don't work properly at first, and I almost got myself all worked up over having issues with loading stuff on the Memory Stick of the PSP I bought yesterday, but just keep yourself calm, check out all the angles and it's usually something pretty simple.

As mentioned above, try not to have so many apps trying to access your media subsystem. You don't need anything but iTunes open to transfer things to your iPod. It's easier to manually eject an iPod on a Mac, but I often have to quit iTunes before I can manually eject it (which I always have to do because I only have a Mini and I prefer manual update as it is).

Give it a few more tries in a "bare bones" fashion before calling Apple. But this has been interesting to read since I intend to buy either a 30GB iPod video or an iPod Nano today or tomorrow to replace my older 4GB Mini.

Back