32" 1080p Samsung LN32A550 pics

The 32" A650 isn't really any better than the A550 unless you want a glossy (instead of semi-matte) panel. The 32/37" versions of the A650 are not 120Hz panels, which is the primary reason for moving up to the A650 series.

First off, a 37 inch 650 series screen doesnt exist. Second, ALL 650's are 120hz and the 550 is glossy just like the 650. It's the 530 and 630 models which are matte.

First off, a 37 inch 650 series screen doesnt exist. Second, ALL 650's are 120hz and the 550 is glossy just like the 650. It's the 530 and 630 models which are matte.

No. (To the middle bit anyway...)

Can Somnambulator or anyone else with this TV share their settings for PC use? I try setting it to 1080p but the picture overscans going off the screen. I can't select "Just scan" as it's greyed out as is the sharpness option which I've read you are supposed to set to zero. Can the fact that I am connecting to the TV via VGA be blocking out those options? Is there a difference between VGA and HDMI? Also that is the most ridiculous remote I've ever seen lol

So Overall for those that own this, do you suggest it as a alternative to 30'' Monitors since you're able to get the 1920 x 1200 resolution?

Is there a difference between VGA and HDMI?

Huge difference, all my settings are related to DVI or HDMI all digital connection. You can't do just scan because you are dealing with analog.

So Overall for those that own this, do you suggest it as a alternative to 30'' Monitors since you're able to get the 1920 x 1200 resolution?

This is 1920x1080 and will scale anything else to fit. All the 30" monitors I see are 2560x1600 and frankly I like the lower resolution better. You can set this way back on the desk and not have it right in your face all the time. Also don't need as much video card to push 3D at that resolution.

Just a little FYI. I would not compare this color and black level wise to the 40". Everything is the same for the 32" and 40" 550 series except the 40" has better color and black levels (Check official stats if you don't believe me)

Hi,

im debating whether to go for a ln32a650 or a bigger ln40a530 for the same application as a monitor for my pc. any suggestions of pros and cons of each? (as they are about the same price.)

im also connecting it via a hdmi out from a 9600gs card from my laptop (asus m50vm-b1). will i experience any of the image blurring issues mentioned above? what should i expect upon installation?? will i get any audio off the hdmi connection?

any help is very much appreciated. -thanks.

The 32A550 I have in front of me would disagree with the 550 series being glossy - Samsung has a very strange numbering scheme. The 530 and 650 are glossy, the 550 and 630 are semi-gloss/semi-matte (it's much closer to matte than glossy, but it's not matte). The 5xx series panels share the same set of features (60Hz, 30k:1 Dynamic Contrast, 3 HDMI) while the 6xx have an upgraded feature set (120Hz, 50k:1 Dynamic Contrast, 4 HDMI). This is not without exceptions (namely the smaller panels have lower specs, which is common across pretty much all LCD manufactures, not sure why).

Those of you using this for a computer monitor...after some time, still like it, or would rather have a normal monitor? I'm looking at using it about 3 feet away...(primarily for gaming (CODWAW and Iracing), with some autocad on the side)...

Thanks...

Dave

I'm sitting in front of my 40" now.

Takes a bit to get used to, but you do get used to it, unless you are prone to motion sickness, because it does add to it...

Getting a large model capitalizes on LCD's biggest strength (i.e., they can be huge)...

thanks for all the replys you guys are great!

i think i will settle for the 40... it has better contrast. but ill have to take a look @ it in person to see if the pixels become obvious at close distance as i am using it as a monitor

My apologies, but one last question..how do you find the text on this monitor?

Thanks in advance...

Dave

Somnambulator,

heyy when you have time, could you post some pictures showing how text displays on the screen?

thanks in advance.

heyy when you have time, could you post some pictures showing how text displays on the screen?

thanks in advance.

heyy when you have time, could you edit your post so the OP's pictures aren't quoted unnecessarily?

thanks in advance.

Text is very good IMO. You do have a bit of a screen door concern though, but cleartype is specifically designed to fix that. On usual computer LCD's the pixel density is tight enough for me to like text with cleartype turned off but on this monitor I like to have it turned on to one of the lower levels. My viewing distance is only slightly more than arms length though, just a bit close.

I have found that taking a picture of a LCD monitor with a digital camera yields some craptastic results and these are not exception to the rule. It looks way better than whats here.

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh157/scottjalbert/DSC01401.jpg

Can Somnambulator or anyone else with this TV share their settings for PC use? I try setting it to 1080p but the picture overscans going off the screen. I can't select "Just scan" as it's greyed out as is the sharpness option which I've read you are supposed to set to zero. Can the fact that I am connecting to the TV via VGA be blocking out those options? Is there a difference between VGA and HDMI? Also that is the most ridiculous remote I've ever seen lol

Using VGA on this panel is a bad idea, since as you've discovered it disables a lot of the settings. Also, I'm not sure, but I feel like when I was reading about it that it didn't support 1080p over VGA. AVS Forum has a good thread with calibration settings on it if you are interested. Mine are
Mode: Movie
Backlight:3
COntrast: 85
Brightness: 49
Sharpness: 0
Color: 50
Tint: G50/R50

Detailed Settings
Black Adjust: Off
Dynamic Contrast: Low (turned off for when I work with photos)
Gamma: 0
Color Space: Custom
Flesh Tone: 0

Color Space:
-Red
--Red: 33
--Green: 0
--Blue: 0

-Green
--Red: 18
--Green: 52
--Blue: 0

-Blue
--Red: 11
--Green: 0
--Blue: 51

-Yellow

-Cyan

-Magenta

From my look at LCD TVs:

Panasonic 37" IPS Alpha. By far the best viewing angle of any LCD, but this is biggest size.
Sony/Samsungs: Somewhere in the middle on viewing angles.
Sharp Aquos: The worse viewing angle I saw, instant loss of contrast.

If I was going 37" or smaller, I would get the Panasonic. If bigger I would get a Samsung/Sony (both use Samnsung Panels AFAIK).

I am thinking of getting a 46" Samsung. Possibly an A630 which isn't as reflective as the A650, but still has the 120Hz motions options.

The only thing I'm really concerned about now is there is no sleep function over dvi>hdmi, right? That is only over vga? So when you enter sleep mode it'll just sit there displaying 'searching for signal'? Do you guys shut it off or something?

BTW MaxBurn, you said "after some more fiddling I got ALL of my issues sorted out with this thing and life is good" --did you ever fix the POST screen issue?

Text is very good IMO. You do have a bit of a screen door concern though, but cleartype is specifically designed to fix that. On usual computer LCD's the pixel density is tight enough for me to like text with cleartype turned off but on this monitor I like to have it turned on to one of the lower levels. My viewing distance is only slightly more than arms length though, just a bit close.

I have found that taking a picture of a LCD monitor with a digital camera yields some craptastic results and these are not exception to the rule. It looks way better than whats here.

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh157/scottjalbert/DSC01401.jpg

i expected some grainyness from a digital camera, but the text does look very clean! now im a bit more reassured that it can be a good monitor! now is your screen the 32? because i calculated pixel pitches from this site and its .369 mm for 32" but for 40" its 0.4612 mm...

and approximately how far was yor camera from the screen?
thanks for the pics !!! it was helpful.

Hello!

How bad is input lag? Has anyone measured it or at least some first hand experiences would be very helpful ;)

Does Samsung use wide gamut? I have seen Dell 3008wfp and color saturation is really annoying.

Here they have only this models:
SAMSUNG LE-32A557 (560€)
SAMSUNG LE-32A659 (780€)

What's the difference and which would be better suited as a PC monitor? Is the price difference justifiable?

I just got the LN40A650 and I gotta say that the color and blacks are incredible. It's a 50,000:1 contrast ratio even though that doenst mean anything when comparing brands. The samsung simply blows the sharp aquos out of the water. Side by side comparison you'd see the difference. 120hz on the Aquos is decent, though it artifacts alot. The A650 is much better. Anyways, I'm totally happy and for 1300 bucks, I can't complain. Check out amazon!

Hey, are you using the 40"-er as a monitor for your computer? How does text look on the screen? I'm still contemplating between the 32-40. I worry that the "screen door" appearance will be worse with the 40.

Any chance you could take a picture of how text looks on the panel from typing distance?

Way to resurrect an old post! :) I've heard of this "screen door" issue you mentioned but I think it only happens with red text. I'll run some tests tomorrow maybe if I get some time. My only complaint with this screen is that directx 10 games are not properly displayed. Every time I try a DX10 title, the screen gets black borders and displays 1920x1080i at 24hz rather than true 1080p at 60hz. I believe some people have been able to get it to work, but I honestly haven't looked into the issue enough. I'm also not sure if its a videocard issue or screen issue. I connected this comp to my 37" westinghouse and the dx10 problem did not exist though. I can take a picture of the text for you tomorrow as right now I am cozy and don't feel like moving. I've had this TV since October and I gotta say that as a computer screen it still gives me w**d. 40 inch computer monitor? Wow! Absolutely no regrets.

I think what you have is more of an ATI problem. When I had my x1950xtx on this it rightly detected a TV for a monitor and then pretty wrongly automatically set a 10% or so under scan that looked bad because it was scaled.

As far as the screen door thing I did notice it a bit at 32 but a 40 would set back further so likely the same. At any rate that's what true type is designed to fix. In XP I loaded one of the lesser levels of true type and under Vista whatever is default is good for me. I did hate true type before I got this monitor though it does work for me now. My viewing distance is only 30" or so.

Back