3200 "BP" Venice

Ren H

Limp Gawd
Anybody know what this BP refers to?
Memory controller, stepping?

EDIT: Found an answer, I believe it refers to E3 core type, this relates to stepping or is stepping independent of this?

Ren H said:
Holy superfast reply! You ocing your keyboard? ;-)
ty on reply

Hahah, I guess I caught it right when it posted. Keyboards running at 4ghz, phase cooled :p

no, BP doesn't mean box processor. it denotes that it's an E3 revision venice..
the other choices are BW (E6) and CG (E4, a manchester with one core disabled)

Which revision would you recomend Eclipse? (unless of course there is a way to enable that second core, hehe)

One is newer, better?

CG is technically the newest, though BP will typically overclock the best.

The newest one supposedly overclocks the best. Then the E3. or "BP"

I see from the A64 oc guide the E6 are Toledo chips with 1meg per core,
- the core (E6) is independent of cache and available on Venice chips? (Venice are strictly 512?)

There's a retailer locally with the Venice BP, I'm wondering whether it's worth my time hunting down the newer versions or not.

EDIT: just found an Opteron144 E4 I can afford, (extra $25), hmm, now what to do...

Thanks for the help!

Ren H said:
I see from the A64 oc guide the E6 are Toledo chips with 1meg per core,
- the core (E6) is independent of cache and available on Venice chips? (Venice are strictly 512?)

There's a retailer locally with the Venice BP, I'm wondering whether it's worth my time hunting down the newer versions or not.

EDIT: just found an Opteron144 E4 I can afford, (extra $25), hmm, now what to do...

Thanks for the help!
the venice E6 is a completely different core from the toledo E6. it would make sense if i knew the part that comes before it, like DH-E6 vs JH-E6 or something like that. either way, i wouldn't bother with any venices other than BP

the 144's are fun ;)

(cf)Eclipse said:
the venice E6 is a completely different core from the toledo E6. it would make sense if i knew the part that comes before it, like DH-E6 vs JH-E6 or something like that. either way, i wouldn't bother with any venices other than BP

the 144's are fun ;)
ty Eclipse, I hear they oc well so I think I'll go for the Opteron, let the fun begin!

(cf)Eclipse said:
no, BP doesn't mean box processor. it denotes that it's an E3 revision venice..
the other choices are BW (E6) and CG (E4, a manchester with one core disabled)

Woops :p

(cf)Eclipse said:
honest mistake. it makes perfect sense from an acronym stand point ;)
don't fret it :cool:

I had remembered an abbreviation that stood for the boxed processors so I thought that was it, everyone can admit they dont know everything :)

Ren H said:
EDIT: Found an answer, I believe it refers to E3 core type, this relates to stepping or is stepping independent of this?
stepping is is and isn't related.

for all practical purposes, no, the stepping is independant ;)

sorry for not answering this earlier. i don't have a tendancy to re-read threads. it's only cause you made it blue that it caught my eye

no problem Eclipse, figured as much (is and isn't),
perhaps I should have used brighter colours ;-)

Back