$325k 3D-Printed Lab Grown Burger Tastes Gross

I'm not surprised it's gross either, given it's the first of its kind. But it's a step in the right direction, and as research and progress continues, price will come down and taste will get better (espec if they figure out how to add a bit of fat in there!)

Yep. This thing can't come soon enough actually. Killing billions and billions of animals on a daily basis and for what? Making people even more fat?

Yep. This thing can't come soon enough actually. Killing billions and billions of animals on a daily basis and for what? Making people even more fat?

Animal meat doesn't make people fat unless your diet is already screwed up by eating the wrong things.

A Burger cooked in a frying pan and they are surprised it was gross? Any burger cooked like that is going to be horrible, fat or not.

Animal meat doesn't make people fat unless your diet is already screwed up by eating the wrong things.

True, and I didn't say meat makes people fat. And yet, do you even know at least one person that is fat and does not consume meat? I am talking about people off medication, of course.

What I meant is people don't really need eat. Certainly not twice a day. People eat animals because they taste good. A lot of stuff feels good but is harmful to others.

True, and I didn't say meat makes people fat. And yet, do you even know at least one person that is fat and does not consume meat? I am talking about people off medication, of course.

What I meant is people don't really need eat. Certainly not twice a day. People eat animals because they taste good. A lot of stuff feels good but is harmful to others.

I know several vegetarians who are fat because their intake of grains is high. People do need meat, or at least supplements that replace it. Most people are actually fat because of bread.

Can't tell if serious. $325K per pattie is hardly an example of cost effectiveness. A small plot of land with a barn and grass that grows under powerlines is my definition of cheap.

Reread what I wrote.

I said "AGRICULTURALLY" and "ENVIRONMENTALLY" expensive. Not financially or economically.

The problem is the waste products that can seep into rivers and water tables. That and the risks of mixing it with plants and vegetables we eat, thus putting a risk of cross-contamination. I don't think you've paid much attention for the past year or so regarding contaminated vegetables and fruits because of cross-contamination.

Environmental and agriculture impact.

It also takes a lot of land to raise livestock needed to feed large populations of people. With livable lands being scarce in some parts of the world, and the push of human populations into forested lands that are at risk at putting plant and animal life towards extinction or putting humans at risks because of animal-human interaction, the need for more farmland for plants, crops, and livestock to feed a growing human population are creating more detrimental effects than benefits.

The South American rain forest ring a bell?

Environmental impact.

Education can only do so much to stem the tide of overpopulation especially in third-world countries. The biggest issue are the stubbornness and ignorance of some of these countries and the people itself that are not too privvy to education.

Birth control can help with stemming population growth but when it comes to religiously-biased governments like those in poor South and Central American countries, or some Asian countries like the Philippines, it's an uphill climb trying to get the government to approve birth control and education for using them.

Food waste is typical of first world countries. The US being the biggest contributer of it. Try educating a country known for being wasteful and materialistic, and at the same time egotistic and self-absorbed, and you'll see that trying to reduce wasting food here is going to be a big problem. We're already having trouble trying to reduce childhood and adult obesity as it is!

We have no easy solution unless people, humans actually change their attitudes towards each other and their environment. That is something that will unlikely happen in my lifetime or ever.

That was quite the rant.

My solution is to stop throwing so much food away. Do you know how much edible food is thrown away in the US alone?

Rant or not, try reading the stupid comments in regards to this scientific achievement online.

A lot of stupid people online, honestly.

The best comment is coming from people saying we're playing God and that the food was not created by God, therefore they won't eat it.

Stupid.

They're about as bad as blaming God for the tornadoes in the Midwest, and not saving them. Or, blaming homosexuals for their problems and failures in life, and for natural disasters.

Those kind of people and the comments they make about it just hurts my head.

Lab grown meat may actually be necessary for long duration space flight, and to help feed a growing world population. It's going to get harder and harder to feed the people on this planet in the next several decades as we try to figure out how to balance between segregating farmland and land for human population. Human population isn't going down, it's going to up especially with places like India and China.

anyone have the information for the scaffolding (that would have been the 3d printed part)

what was it made out of? what was its structure?

and does the meat taste like ass only because it is leaner than cow meat? (i prefer venison for example)

My whole point is, anyone who is anti-lab grown meat must have some fantastical mindset to believe such nonsense. I'm interested in what perceptions this sort of person must humour.

Really...

The irony here is the same people who find genetically modified crops abhorrent are all in on genetically modified whatever this is.

Do you even know at least one person that is fat and does not breath air? I am talking about people who have not been embalmed, of course.

And what makes duck feathers or hair dangerous? Gross <> unhealthy
I agree

+1 on simple carbs being the leading cause of obesity

Also, after having read the China Study I'm not so sure animal protein is really all that necessary. I've personally met some vegans who wouldn't mind trying this in-vetro meat though. Plant proteins aren't that hard to get, and are relatively cheap, but yea most will admit to really miss the taste of real meat or especially cheese...

So, to all the scientifcially ignorant people out there: Grow a fucking a brain. The world needs less ignorant, illogical, and overly religiously ignorant, single-minded people, or we will never move forward as a society and find the things needed to benefit mankind.

Can we use this technology to 3D print them a brain? :rolleyes:

I know several vegetarians who are fat because their intake of grains is high. People do need meat, or at least supplements that replace it. Most people are actually fat because of bread.

I am yet to meet a fat person that doesn't eat meat, actually. But I have no reason to doubt you. As far as I know, bread is not enough to make you fat. It's the combination that makes things bad.

Anyway, I say eat less. Don't listen to your granny.

Screw the synthburger--I just want to know how far out this places us from "Tea, Earl Grey, hot."

, the need for more farmland for plants, crops, and livestock to feed a growing human population are creating more detrimental effects than benefits.

The South American rain forest ring a bell?
watch it there... this "need" is financial based. We don't grow coffee, tea, bananas, pineapple, sugar, wheat, corn, cattle, etc on rain forest land because there's no where else to grow it, they do it because it's the cheapest option. Dole no longer grows pineapple (luxury fruit) in Hawaii because they don't want to pay farmers in the US minimum wage.. something about human rights and all that. The fact is the US has more than enough land to feed every single person in the country MANY times over. However we do things like sell wheat over seas because we can make more money that way rather than letting the land sit, we build pop up housing communities on farm land because it's more profitable to do that than to sell food.

It's all a greed based economy, and its not getting any easier when most of the world likes the Western way of living and wants a piece of it.

As far as I know, bread is not enough to make you fat. It's the combination that makes things bad.
You don't need any combinations of items to become obese, morbidly obese or even super-morbidly obese. Eating large quantities of bread will lead to weight gain: bread is highly calorically-dense and riddled with high-glycemic carbohydrates which trigger sharp insulin responses.

Vegetarians can very easily reach obesity by overloading on breads and cheeses, and they're subject to the same basic law of calories-in-calories-out as meat-eaters.

I love the whole harming the animals bit... we stop eating meat and many of these animals are practically extinct, there's no reason to keep them alive at barns, no one is going to want to see a steer in a zoo, chickens too, sure initially they might run around everywhere but when you can't get chicken people are going to kill and cook everyone they can find.

You DO realise the only reason animals of these types are the way they are is because we've bred out every single wild gene out of them? Chickens aren't naturally born to be raised with breasts that weigh as much as the rest of their bodies. We doomed them to extinction before we could even have that scenario that you posit.

Yea, my vegan friend was overweight, eating lots of pasta and donuts and crap... almost no fiber or fresh fruits/veggies is really pretty bad. But many Vegans I meet don't care too much about their health, they will sacrifice themselves for the sake of the animals, or do it to "make a statement".

I think if done right a vegan diet would help most people to become healthier along with helping the environment. It's maybe interesting to note that meat consumption has declined pretty drastically in the past several years:

http://switchboard.nrdc.org/blogs/slyutse/eat_your_vegetables_no_wait_do.html

oh that reminds me, I should pull out my black-bean burger recipe from back in the day (I used to be Vegan) it was so frickin' good, I spent a month getting all the spices/texture right and almost tricked my dad into thinking it was real (he's a real burger fan)

First thing I thought was, astronauts.... Im sure this would taste good on the way to, there, and from mars when the other options are even less-fresh and natural :p

They did this on better off ted, was pretty hilarious.

You DO realise the only reason animals of these types are the way they are is because we've bred out every single wild gene out of them? Chickens aren't naturally born to be raised with breasts that weigh as much as the rest of their bodies. We doomed them to extinction before we could even have that scenario that you posit.

You DO realize that not every chicken comes from a Foster's Farm co-op right? Not every chicken out there that we eat has been bred to this level, granted most of the chicken we eat do because people are happy with their $2/lbs chicken breasts.

You DO realize that not every chicken comes from a Foster's Farm co-op right? Not every chicken out there that we eat has been bred to this level, granted most of the chicken we eat do because people are happy with their $2/lbs chicken breasts.

Organic free range isn't too bad if you buy it by the whole chicken. Obviously more expensive, but it is more nutritious and tastes better. The small added cost is worth it if you can get ahold of it reliably.

I think taste is irrelevant, this is a huge step forward.

The simple fact is that with the world population increasing like it is now, someday most of the world will have to eat this whether they like it or not.

I think taste is irrelevant, this is a huge step forward.

The simple fact is that with the world population increasing like it is now, someday most of the world will have to eat this whether they like it or not.

No, we will not. There is probably enough fat filled lipo bags out there to keep everyone going for a hundred years. Get a straw, boy.

I think you guys are all forgetting....that this is EXACTLY the way the zombie apocalypse starts in damn near every movie ever.

...just sayin'.

IMO, this sounds quite amazing.

The meat we are eating generally contain a non-negligible amount of hormonal growth and antibiotics (and other crap that you may not want in your body). Biological food (when legit) is a suitable alternative but not a price that can be afforded the common man on a daily basis.

This could also fix the poor treatment of the animals from which the meat come from.

Let's start with the $325k price tag ;)
Next...it's cultured meat.
Then...they used beet juice for color because the stuff is grey.

THIS:

1375712104kFWKGecUq8_1_1.jpg

It's grown in a lab from muscle cells harvested from a cow.

Still requires amino acids, fats, sugars and minerals.

There is no long term study that says "eating burgers grown in a petri dish won't kill you or make you grow a second head"

The whole thought of it makes your skin crawl. ;)

Price tag: how much do you think you would've paid for 32gb of ram in say 1975?

Skin crawling: have you ever seen a cow twitching around after its had its throat slit in real life? And i'm just taking about when they do it right, not about when they fuck up or intentionally abuse the animals.

Space applications are where this would shine. Right now, it's cheaper and easier to grow real animals. Plus real animals aren't just muscle, they are providers of so much more. Milk for example, and leather come to mind.

Plus, real farm raised animals taste way better than factory farmed animals. Just saying. ;)

Skin crawling: have you ever seen a cow twitching around after its had its throat slit in real life? And i'm just taking about when they do it right, not about when they fuck up or intentionally abuse the animals.

Cows are colossally stupid. They couldn't survive even if they were in a lions body, anywhere in the world. I eat them to save them from the dumb. I am cowchrist.

From Star Trek TNG episode The Lonely Among Us:

Commander William T. Riker: We no longer enslave animals for food purposes.

Badar N'D'D: But we have seen Humans eat meat.

Commander William T. Riker: You've seen something as fresh and tasty as meat, but inorganically materialized, out of patterns used by our transporters.

Badar N'D'D: This is sickening. It's barbaric!

Let's start with the $325k price tag ;)

Which will obviously go down as the technology improves.

Next...it's cultured meat.

This is bad because...?

Additives and coloring are widely used in "real" meat products too. Without additives, most meat products you buy in the store would just be grayish goo.

It's grown in a lab from muscle cells harvested from a cow.

Still requires amino acids, fats, sugars and minerals.

If you can harvest a few cells from one cow and then grow literally tons of this stuff, that would be much more efficient than slaughtering one cow and only getting one cow's worth of meat.

There is no long term study that says "eating burgers grown in a petri dish won't kill you or make you grow a second head"

There's no study that says you will, either.

The whole thought of it makes your skin crawl. ;)

Well, to be fair, hot dogs are colored too ;). I agree though with the sentiment.

Also just to point out to people, animals in the wild eat other animals. Nature is designed with this thing called "the food chain", and the natural order of things is for the dominant species to feed off of lower ones. We are omnivores, not herbivores or carnivores ;).

According to the three tasters it was quite meat like and more meat like than all other meat-substitutes. However it was a bit less juicy due to the fact that it has less fat. It was described as inbetween a soylent burger and a McDonalds burger with meat taste and given that the McD are 20% fat it must have been a quite nice patty.

Price tag: how much do you think you would've paid for 32gb of ram in say 1975?

Well cant say about the RAM but a 1GB HDD would have cost you 100k+ 1980.

So given the same price development this patty will cost about 1,5 USD in 33 years...

Well, to be fair, hot dogs are colored too ;). I agree though with the sentiment.

Also just to point out to people, animals in the wild eat other animals. Nature is designed with this thing called "the food chain", and the natural order of things is for the dominant species to feed off of lower ones. We are omnivores, not herbivores or carnivores ;).

That's exactly my thoughts on this whole meat thing. I've seen vegetarian claiming that killing animals are wrong etc etc yet other animals do that anyway. It's just part of how nature works. If dinosaur existed today, they would not have second thoughts about dining on us.:p

There is still a long ways to go to get the taste right. Maybe they should mix it with lab grown fat to improve the flavor. This is actually a great achievement because when you think about it, it's agriculturally and environmentally expe...nsive to raise livestock for food. For a world that is going to have a population of about 8 to 10 billion in 2020, addressing food needs and demand needs to happen. So far this is a promising first step but still has a long way to go before it becomes commercially viable and available to a lot of people, including affordable.

Stupid comments by stupid people online fall under the following: "It isn't raised by/given by God, I refuse to eat it," "I won't trust anything lab grown," "Stop playing god," and "Soylent green." First off, to all the stupid fucking fundamentalist religious people out there: if you can find a solution to hunger crises around the world and the ability to balance farm land needed for crops and livestock and land for businesses and residences, then I'd like to hear it. Secondly, stop bringing God (or whatever deity you believe in) into this. I'm getting sick and tired hearing ignorant people blame God/gods for natural disasters and blaming scientists for playing god for scienctific achievements that may benefit mankind. And, [sic] some people wonder why I choose to have no religion. Next, this is nowhere near being "soylent green". People need to stop referring to that food item as resorting to cannibalism is probably the last desperate measure to addressing food needs and demands. It would be a step backward for a modern society to resort to cannibalism. Such a situation was even depicted in the movie "Cloud Atlas." Lastly, these are grown from stem cells and muscle cells taken from live cows then gown in a lab. This isn't pieced together from DNA and proteins, and built from scratch. It's still pure cattle muscle cells, just blood-less and fat-less. It lacks taste as a lot of flavor of actual meat comes from fat and connective tissue, and even blood and the minerals contained in blood. The great thing about this : Little to no risk of bacterial infection from e.coli and salmonella.

So, to all the scientifcially [sic] ignorant people out there: Grow a fucking a [sic] brain. The world needs less ignorant, illogical, and overly religiously [sic] ignorant, single-minded people, or we will never move forward as a society and find the things needed to benefit mankind.

Nobody who posted before you in this thread and who objected to genetically modified food said the word "god." Several references were made to "nature," "natural," and "mother nature," but not to God. Granted, you did say that the "stupid comments by stupid people" about this subject are made "online," as opposed to in this thread specifically, but why you would spend so much effort here on an objection that wasn't raised here is a bit puzzling.

I understand that you loathe the "stupid fucking fundamentalist religious people out there," but, on the issue of genetically modified food, I should remind you that they aren't all of one accord. Dr. Don Batten, an agricultural scientist who works for Creation Ministries International (a young Earth creationist and Biblical apologetics organization), wrote an article about this subject called "Frankenstein foods? Genetically modified foods and the Bible" which takes a balanced approach, concluding that:

In principle, there is nothing morally wrong with GM foods, but in practice, I believe that many of the efforts are dangerously naïve. Testing needs to be very thorough to make sure that GM foods are indeed safe to eat. On the other hand, products that are not eaten, such as cotton, may demand less stringent testing. Such GM plants may enable, for example, large reductions in pesticide use, which would be good for the safety of agricultural workers as well as beneficial to the environment.

Back