34" 21:9 UltraWide Displays (3440x1440) - LG UM95/UM65 & Dell U3415W

Most people will claim nearly all games are fine because they dont pay enough attention. Some games will simply cut off some of the top and bottom and sort of zoom in. Some games will be slightly distorted, stretched or get a slight concave look to it. And of course some games will not work in that aspect ratio at all. If just for gaming, I would much rather have a 16:9 screen and run the games that properly support 21:9 with black bars top and bottom.

Quick question. I was trying to run a game in 2560x1440 but the image was being stretched over the whole display. Any reason why this would be or a way to fix it?
Thanks

Quick question. I was trying to run a game in 2560x1440 but the image was being stretched over the whole display. Any reason why this would be or a way to fix it?
Thanks
I could never get some games use black bars in 16:9 no matter what I tried on the 29 inch LG. The scaling options in the Nvidia control panel had no impact.

I could never get some games use black bars in 16:9 no matter what I tried on the 29 inch LG. The scaling options in the Nvidia control panel had no impact.[/QUOTE
For some games that are too demanding to run in 3440x1440, I would rather run it in 2560x1440 with the black bars vs 2560x1080 across the whole monitor. for whatever reason when I set the resolution in the game to 2560x1440 it stretches across the whole screen and gets distorted. the desktop displays fine with the black bars as its in 16:9. not sure how to switch in the game from 21:9 to 16:9. any ideas? Thanks in advance

Well 2560x1080 will probably look better than 2560x1440 anyway and it should not have black bars all the way around it unless you have a setting on making it do that. It should fill out the screen just like 3440x1440 would but of course it will be blurry looking compared to native res.

Just make a custom resolution for 2560x1440. I did that a lot in 16:9 for some games that showed more if run in 16:10.

I was curious to know how much VRAM was being used at this resolution and was surprised as its not that high. At 3440x1440 at high settings and FXAA enabled, I was only using about 1.6gb in crysis 3 and that's a pretty demanding game. So if anyone is looking to get this monitor and are worried about uping their graphics card, you don't necessarily have to. Of course 3gb or more is the safe amount but 2gb of VRAM is enough "for now" as long as youre not cranking up the AA. My gtx 690's handle this quite well

I was curious to know how much VRAM was being used at this resolution and was surprised as its not that high. At 3440x1440 at high settings and FXAA enabled, I was only using about 1.6gb in crysis 3 and that's a pretty demanding game. So if anyone is looking to get this monitor and are worried about uping their graphics card, you don't necessarily have to. Of course 3gb or more is the safe amount but 2gb of VRAM is enough "for now" as long as youre not cranking up the AA. My gtx 690's handle this quite well

I find even with games like Crysis 3 or BF4 when I see them using 2.9Gb of Vram the game is still perfectly smooth, I suspect its just allocating more Vram because its there.

Those waiting on stock may like this new photo, this time TF2 in action. Game looks beautiful with this aspect ratio::
TF2.jpg

Oh yeah, IPS lag you say? I'm not buying it for a minute :p
IPS_LAG_OMG_THE-IPS_LAG.jpg

Most people will claim nearly all games are fine because they dont pay enough attention. Some games will simply cut off some of the top and bottom and sort of zoom in. Some games will be slightly distorted, stretched or get a slight concave look to it. And of course some games will not work in that aspect ratio at all. If just for gaming, I would much rather have a 16:9 screen and run the games that properly support 21:9 with black bars top and bottom.

And plenty of games will work perfectly, not succumbing to any of the issues that you speak of. And for many games that do have any of the issues you're mentioning, things like flawless widescreen fix them.

I would say your generic insult of "they don't pay enough attention" is pretty exaggerated in this instance. There aren't a hell of a lot of people who are going to drop $1,000 on a monitor that aren't aware of the stuff you're talking about.

Thankfully products like this are made by people who want to move technology ahead, rather than people like you who are afraid to try something new due to fear of it not working 100% perfectly all the time.

Damn, I want one. Soon as I find them in stock at a trusted store I'm buying. Not paying over $1000 though. Hopefully find one of them $900 deals or less. :D

I have one of these on preorder with Amazon...anyone have a clue as to when they are supposed to get them in stock??

I have one of these on preorder with Amazon...anyone have a clue as to when they are supposed to get them in stock??

I'm in the same boat. I can't seem to find much of anything about when anywhere will have more in which makes me think the answer to your question is probably "no". :( I even have my desk cleaned off in anticipation.

I ordered one from Amazon mid May and I believe the estimated shipping time t that point was end of July Beg of August... that's when I found a refurbished one from tigerdirect for $827 shipped. shipped in 2 days. If you want to run the risk as I did then that's an option. mine showed up in great condition with no dead pixels and a very small amount of IPS glow in the bottom left corner. Nothing that bothers me or looks like some of the pics on this thread. Only had a 90 day warranty though which kinda sucks but oh well.

And plenty of games will work perfectly, not succumbing to any of the issues that you speak of. And for many games that do have any of the issues you're mentioning, things like flawless widescreen fix them.

I would say your generic insult of "they don't pay enough attention" is pretty exaggerated in this instance. There aren't a hell of a lot of people who are going to drop $1,000 on a monitor that aren't aware of the stuff you're talking about.

Thankfully products like this are made by people who want to move technology ahead, rather than people like you who are afraid to try something new due to fear of it not working 100% perfectly all the time.
Lol you act as if flawless widescreen can fix all issues which is not true at all. And sorry but reality is many people dont pay any attention to small details and ignorance is bliss as you know. People have made claims about specific games working perfectly but when I check them out they did not always. And what an ignorant thing to say about me not wanting to move technology ahead. I used the 29inch version of this screen so why in the hell would you say something so stupid? I love this aspect ratio but facts are facts and there are issues with tons of games so get over yourself.

Damn, I want one.

Me too! Keep trying to talk myself out of it, but having trouble :p

Anyone think LG will ever make a curved version of this monitor? Just a slight wrap would make this perfect, imo. Really don't know why they're making curved TVs and smartphones, but still haven't translated the idea to PC display panels yet.

That thread doesn't seem to mention optimal viewing angle in regard to screens looking best head-on. A triple monitor setup can angle the screens inward similarly. A TN has shift/"shadow", a VA has a cone viewpoint, and IPS has edge glow. Curved could keep the screen pointed toward you better but it would have to be the best angle.. which is why people have said they wouldn't be as useful without being able to change the shape/amount of the curve (similar to how you can angle side monitors on good monitor arms in triple monitor setups until you have the "sweet-spot" viewing angle).

This 21:9 monitor is actually less width than my PLP-like 27" 16:9 with a 19" set back slightly on each side. They are just cheap TN side panels 900x1440 (portrait mode). The 21:9 LG is +880 total or +440 to each side , where my setup is + 900 each side (with ugly bezels). The TN's portrait mode shift is really bad so I angle them in as much as I need to and mostly use them for text based stuff (progress meters, chat apps, email inbox list, etc). What I am getting at is that the 21:9 should have less shift/optimal angle issues being that it is ips and only +880 wider.. by comparison a single portrait mode panel extension "LP" rather than PLP if you will, depending how you look at it. Even though it would be a lot wider which would normally exacerbate shift/optimal angle issues - a triple 16:9 setup would be able to angle it's side panels in for a custom "curve".

Last edited:
Lol you act as if flawless widescreen can fix all issues which is not true at all. And sorry but reality is many people dont pay any attention to small details and ignorance is bliss as you know. People have made claims about specific games working perfectly but when I check them out they did not always. And what an ignorant thing to say about me not wanting to move technology ahead. I used the 29inch version of this screen so why in the hell would you say something so stupid? I love this aspect ratio but facts are facts and there are issues with tons of games so get over yourself.

Wrong, games that work with triple screen, work with this 21:9 just fine. You're incorrectly slamming 21:9 saying you know what you're talking about and most others are too dumb to notice a zoomed in picture.

wsgf.org
flawlesswidescreen.org

Both of these help for games that don't take it natively, but most will handle it just fine. PLUS, going forth, less and less games won't support it. Numerous others have said all games are fixable for triple screen or 21:9 except for Assassin's Creed.

But go ahead, again, slam others, giggle, say something to make yourself feel better, trash 21:9 somemore, say something else to make yourself feel better, giggle again. Etc.

Wrong, games that work with triple screen, work with this 21:9 just fine. You're incorrectly slamming 21:9 saying you know what you're talking about and most others are too dumb to notice a zoomed in picture.

wsgf.org
flawlesswidescreen.org

Both of these help for games that don't take it natively, but most will handle it just fine. PLUS, going forth, less and less games won't support it. Numerous others have said all games are fixable for triple screen or 21:9 except for Assassin's Creed.

But go ahead, again, slam others, giggle, say something to make yourself feel better, trash 21:9 somemore, say something else to make yourself feel better, giggle again. Etc.
Make myself feel better about what? I am sharing real world experience since someone asked about gaming. And if you had actually paid attention you would see that I said that I love the 21:9 aspect ratio. I spent weeks using and testing 21:9 in games and it was a pain in the ass IMO to setup some games to where they looked exactly right though. And no matter what some games will not run in 21:9 at all and thats not just Assassins Creed. And no most people dont notice when the game is zoomed in a little bit. Heck I did not notice most of the time until I started looking closer. If I posted 21:9 screenshots from a game slightly zoomed in or that had cut off the top and or bottom slightly you would think it looked fine until you actually saw it compared to 16:9. Again many people just fire up a game and play it without noticing something like that. And sorry but even some of the first reviews of 21:9 said that it had more compatibility issues than eyefinity and surround.

Last edited:

Lol, thanks.. I brought up the same question in that thread last week, and it seemed like the majority agreed that the only useful, non-gimmicky implementation of a curved panel would be for a PC display.

I watched Linus' review of the UM95 last night (yeah, I know :eek:), and at the end, he also mentioned wishing the display had just a slight curve to it.

That thread doesn't seem to mention optimal viewing angle in regard to screens looking best head-on. A triple monitor setup can angle the screens inward similarly. A TN has shift/"shadow", a VA has a cone viewpoint, and IPS has edge glow. Curved could keep the screen pointed toward you better but it would have to be the best angle.. which is why people have said they wouldn't be as useful without being able to change the shape/amount of the curve (similar to how you can angle side monitors on good monitor arms in triple monitor setups until you have the "sweet-spot" viewing angle).

Yes, with a fixed curve, you'd probably need to sit a certain distance from the monitor to be in the sweet-spot. I'm not thinking a total wrap-around experience.. just a minor curve that would be a suitable average for maybe a 2 to 3' viewing distance, and hopefully just enough to help minimize any corner IPS glow (maybe some local dimming would also help?). For ultra-wide monitors, I would think any slight degree of curvature would be at least somewhat of an improvement in viewing angle vs that of a flat panel.. probably nothing as optimized as a multi-monitor setup, just an improvement over a single ultra-wide flat.

I bought the 29UM65 last friday and I'm really loving it. The extra FOV is so awesome. Tested it with Watch Dogs, BF3, BF4, Divinity Original Sin, Wolfenstein the New Order, Diablo 3, Dark Souls 2, LA Noire, NFS Rivals, TERA, GTA IV, GW2, Far Cry 3, Torchlight 2, Crysis 3, and Thief. Watching movies without black bars is of course very pleasant. I come from a 24" 2ms TN panel and the colors are a lot better and I only notice it's a bit slower, because it's 5ms GtG.

PS: These are the most recent games and all work perfectly WITHOUT flawless widescreen or anything the like, except for Dota 2 (minimap problem). There are still a lot more games out there that support the 21:9 aspect ratio so I think you shouldn't worry about it, because I did too at first.

I wanted the 34UM95, but the price was too high and the 29" version is actually tall enough for me, which I didn't expect.

I bought the 29UM65 last friday and I'm really loving it. The extra FOV is so awesome. Tested it with Watch Dogs, BF3, BF4, Divinity Original Sin, Wolfenstein the New Order, Diablo 3, Dark Souls 2, LA Noire, NFS Rivals, TERA, GTA IV, GW2, Far Cry 3, Torchlight 2, Crysis 3, and Thief. Watching movies without black bars is of course very pleasant. I come from a 24" 2ms TN panel and the colors are a lot better and I only notice it's a bit slower, because it's 5ms GtG.

PS: These are the most recent games and all work perfectly WITHOUT flawless widescreen or anything the like, except for Dota 2 (minimap problem). There are still a lot more games out there that support the 21:9 aspect ratio so I think you shouldn't worry about it, because I did too at first.

I wanted the 34UM95, but the price was too high and the 29" version is actually tall enough for me, which I didn't expect.
This is what I mean as you think all those game work fine when I know for a fact that some of them have to be adjusted with flawless widescreen to look right.

I ordered one from Amazon mid May and I believe the estimated shipping time t that point was end of July Beg of August.

Thats fine, I'll have my Amazon billed paid off then with my new build...LOL

This is what I mean as you think all those game work fine when I know for a fact that some of them have to be adjusted with flawless widescreen to look right.

Again this mostly a problem with OLDER games. And with a little tweaking with flawless widescreen a lot of games can be adjusted. Personal I do not have a problem with spending a little bit of time adjusting a game to play it. I mean how many games at one time are you playing were this becomes such a burden? Personally I do not have the time to play 20 games at one time, as with the majority I have a job and life. At least going forward looking at the current trend that new games will more then likely support 21:9 out of the box. Once you adjust the game that's it, you do not have to keep adjusting it every time you go to play. Everyone has different needs, if you play older games or many that do not support 21:9, even with flawless widescreen then maybe this monitor is not for you. For me a little extra tweaking to use such a great monitor is worth it.

I'm saying I've played all of these games WITHOUT flawless widescreen or widescreen fixer. I'm not lying. I'm just being honest, because although I wouldn't mind tweaking a bit like raidflex said, but I didn't have to with the aforementioned games. Maybe the games of those who did have to change something weren't up-to-date or just lied. Just saiyan.

Im thinking of picking up this monitor but im afraid a single 780ti wont keep up! :( if youre gaming on a single ti what fps are you getting ? Mostly worried that witchers 3 wont run it at max/high settings.. what are your thoughts people!

Im thinking of picking up this monitor but im afraid a single 780ti wont keep up! :( if youre gaming on a single ti what fps are you getting ? Mostly worried that witchers 3 wont run it at max/high settings.. what are your thoughts people!

You should be fine. I have dual 780 Ti's, but with one its very playable. You will have to turn down some AA but for the most part you can max out in game settings depending on the game. For example BF4 with no AA will be around 60 FPS maxed on a 64 player map on average. Also if you overclock the card you really will have no problems. Crysis would probably be the only exception were you will need to turn down some settings, but even then it runs smooth. Only reason I picked up a two 780 Ti's is because I got them for $599 each and I plan to play Star Citizen which uses the Cry Engine.

Make myself feel better about what? I am sharing real world experience since someone asked about gaming. And if you had actually paid attention you would see that I said that I love the 21:9 aspect ratio. I spent weeks using and testing 21:9 in games and it was a pain in the ass IMO to setup some games to where they looked exactly right though. And no matter what some games will not run in 21:9 at all and thats not just Assassins Creed. And no most people dont notice when the game is zoomed in a little bit. Heck I did not notice most of the time until I started looking closer. If I posted 21:9 screenshots from a game slightly zoomed in or that had cut off the top and or bottom slightly you would think it looked fine until you actually saw it compared to 16:9. Again many people just fire up a game and play it without noticing something like that. And sorry but even some of the first reviews of 21:9 said that it had more compatibility issues than eyefinity and surround.

And yes, here you are again. Have to get the last word. Feel content? Excellent. You are correct about everything you said. All of it is correct. Everyone else is wrong

What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Guys, please use PM. This is so embarassing.

Anyway, I hope theres more competition cos these look amazing but dat price, tho'.

Guys, please use PM. This is so embarassing.

+10000000000000000, we don't care who's ePeen is bigger, who started it, etc

So, I'm going to try RMA'ing through LG to see if I can get one without such a horrible bleed/glow/whatever it is in the lower left hand corner. I'll probably end up with something worse lol...

+10000000000000000, we don't care who's ePeen is bigger, who started it, etc

So, I'm going to try RMA'ing through LG to see if I can get one without such a horrible bleed/glow/whatever it is in the lower left hand corner. I'll probably end up with something worse lol...

Good luck, I hope you get a good one.

I'm saying I've played all of these games WITHOUT flawless widescreen or widescreen fixer. I'm not lying. I'm just being honest, because although I wouldn't mind tweaking a bit like raidflex said, but I didn't have to with the aforementioned games. Maybe the games of those who did have to change something weren't up-to-date or just lied. Just saiyan.
Go to flawless widescreen and look for yourself and you will see some of those games do not work properly by just choosing that res.

And yes, here you are again. Have to get the last word. Feel content? Excellent. You are correct about everything you said. All of it is correct. Everyone else is wrong
You clearly have some kind of issue. Again someone asked about gaming so I gave real world experience. Sorry if it was not what you wanted to hear. As you already see there are people making claims about games looking fine yet right there on the flawless widescreen site it tells what needs to be adjusted. I have had to directly show some people whats wrong with some games even before they notice. And also again some game will not run in 21:9 at all. So sorry that the truth hurts but get over yourself with your crappy attitude just because I am being honest about my experience.

Hopefully going forward 21:9 support will be more common. Supposedly the upcoming game, The Evil Within, will be 21:9 only which I think will be great and help get more attention for this aspect ratio as its potential is great for gaming.

Anyone see the new AOC u3477Pqu today?

Looks like the same 34" 1440 ultra-wide IPS panel as in the LG and Dell, but is supposed to be cheaper than both..

Y9yFDLb.jpg

http://www.techpowerup.com/201606/aoc-to-release-the-u3477pqu-34-inch-3440-x-1440-monitor.html

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/news_archive/30.htm#aoc_u3477pqu

Never owned an AOC.. are they usually good, decent, junk?
I had the 29" for a bit. Image quality was very good. It was just a bit to small for me so I passed it on to my wife. She uses it everyday and loves it.

Back