34" 21:9 UltraWide Displays (3440x1440) - LG UM95/UM65 & Dell U3415W

Anyone with this display and a 980? Interessting to see if one 980 card is enough or not

said by many, one card will handle it well

I run titan tri-sli, and I forget to re-enable SLi sometimes on driver updates - one titan runs BF4 ultra surprisingly well (4x MSAA puts it around the 50fps range)

after read all the comments on here i am a little scare to buy it for now. i will wait for Dell and Samsung and see if they will be better than LG or not. .

at first i was gonna get 4K but due i want to run my PC only with a single GPU so i think this monitor resolution is in a good spot for it. ( i am waiting to upgrade my 780ti to whatever new one that will come out early next year )

Well, add me to the list of those with backlight bleeding problems:

uDIzVdA.jpg

I got in on the Newegg/eBay deal, and the backlight bleeding is pretty terrible. I'm not sure what I can do, I can try to do the RMA game with Newegg, or I may just try to fight for a refund.

I got in on the Newegg/eBay deal, and the backlight bleeding is pretty terrible. I'm not sure what I can do, I can try to do the RMA game with Newegg, or I may just try to fight for a refund.

Everyone over at the Slickdeals thread that bought the UM94 through this particular Newegg/eBay deal seems to be unhappy with the amount of IPS glow and/or backlight bleeding.

Kinda makes me wonder if all the previous returns that were shipped back to LG, got "refurb'd" into a sealed box and sold via Newegg through eBay. Might explain why it was $250 cheaper than buying directly from Newegg, and could potentially make it more difficult for customers to return back to NE, or have warrantied by LG.

Man....I can see the light from LED on the bottom of your stand....that's way overexposed.

even in pitch black mine doesn't do that.

I hate guys like you.

Well, add me to the list of those with backlight bleeding problems:

uDIzVdA.jpg

Man....I can see the light from LED on the bottom of your stand....that's way overexposed.

even in pitch black mine doesn't do that.

I hate guys like you.

whats the proper way to take a photo, then? The camera focused on the monitor, not the light below. Some of this is probably IPS glow, but the bleeding in the top middle is pretty noticeable with the naked eye on a black screen.

whats the proper way to take a photo, then? The camera focused on the monitor, not the light below. Some of this is probably IPS glow, but the bleeding in the top middle is pretty noticeable with the naked eye on a black screen.

Correct, that's the only bleed that I see. Try squeezing (or "massaging") the bezel around that area and see if you can improve the bleed. Mine came with a very small amount of BLB in that same spot...it wasn't noticeable other than on a completely black screen but I was able to eliminate it with a little finesse. The rest is IPS glow and is just a characteristic of the panel. Your pic makes the glow look much worse than it really is. What brightness setting are you running?

Derkspector was talking about the exposure setting on your camera, but I'm guessing that you took it with a cell phone (most of which absolutely suck when it comes to taking pics in the dark). If you used a decent camera with the proper settings, that pic would be much more true to life. Not a big deal but it misleads those who don't own this monitor because in real life with the proper brightness settings, it looks nowhere near that bad/glowy.

^Thanks for the info, and I understand about the camera, its always a crap shoot taking it with a cell phone (iphone 6). I don't access to a DSLR so that was my only real option. I'll try massaging it to see if I can eliminate the bleed. I think I had brightness around 50 or so when taking that pic

For anyone posting pics of glow & bleed, the Brightness on the monitor should be set--if not calibrated--to 20 OR LESS. Because many of the posted pix make no mention of the brightness setting of the monitor, this ALSO muddles the issue because brightness settings over 20 and ESPECIALLY if the brightness is still @ default, any glow/bleed is EXAGGERATED.

I understand that pics taken with a cell phone are crap and not realistic but saying the only noticable blb in that pic is that spot in the middle top is quite amazing

I understand that pics taken with a cell phone are crap and not realistic but saying the only noticable blb in that pic is that spot in the middle top is quite amazing

Oh? Where else do you think there's bleed?

What's really amazing is how frequently people mistake IPS glow for backlight bleed.

Oh? Where else do you think there's bleed?

What's really amazing is how frequently people mistake IPS glow for backlight bleed.

I call all of those areas with light bleeding from beneath the panel "backlight bleed" and the glow something else which indeed is to be found in every IPS panel, mostly noticable moving on the viewing angle rather than on the distance, that affect the brightness of the screen and goes across all the colors of the palette. When it's a freaking yellow light bumping out of some part of the screen, and it's something you can trigger (for instance) just by pushing the bezel with a finger (try that) then I call it BLB.

But I accept I may be wrong. Not that the problem of these monitors is semantic. Point is: can you really say that monitor is ok except that dot in the middle top?

I call all of those areas with light bleeding from beneath the panel "backlight bleed" and the glow something else which indeed is to be found in every IPS panel, mostly noticable moving on the viewing angle rather than on the distance, that affect the brightness of the screen and goes across all the colors of the palette. When it's a freaking yellow light bumping out of some part of the screen, and it's something you can trigger (for instance) just by pushing the bezel with a finger (try that) then I call it BLB.

But I accept I may be wrong. Not that the problem of these monitors is semantic. Point is: can you really say that monitor is ok except that dot in the middle top?

You're correct and incorrect.

Yes - glow is an inherent characteristic of every IPS monitor - but it's pronounced on this one due to the size of the panel. Glow becomes more evident as the size of the panel increases. My LG 34UM94 has more IPS glow than, say, my Dell U3011 or the 3008WFP that I owned in the past. This monitor happens to have yellow/orange glow in contrast to the silver or purple IPS glow that I've traditionally experienced on other monitors.

But that monitor above only has one area of backlight bleed. The rest is IPS glow and it's greatly exaggerated in that pic.

To answer your question, aside from that one area of BLB at the top, yes I think the monitor is OK for two reasons. The first is that I know that those huge blobs of light in the corners are IPS glow, not backlight bleed, and so it's not something to be overly concerned about. The second and most important reason is that the picture makes the glow appear much, much worse than it is in real life. Hence the earlier comments about how the the brightness setting on the monitor and the camera with which the pic was taken misrepresent how the monitor actually looks. By all means, if the monitor looked in real life as bad as it does in the pic, then in no way would that be acceptable. That picture makes the monitor look awful but I own one and I can say with certainty that it looks nothing like that in person. It is nowhere near that bright and glowy, and the screen is much more uniform. That picture looks like the freakin' aurora borealis. :p

Ok, so I just checked the monitor at 35 brightness, and the backlight bleeding is still visible in the top middle area. I agree that the bottom corners is IPS glow. There also appears to be some slight bleeding on the top as well, but not nearly as bad as the brightest one in the middle.

So, you think it's OK, I think it's not OK for a monitor that costs $850, and retails for $1000 to have bleeding as visible as this.

Also funny you can say for certainty what it looks like and doesnt look like in person :) I agree the pic I took exaggerates the spots, but it is still visible when looking for it now.

I'm running a brightness of 12 as suggested by someone else in this thread and it's more than sufficient for me, so consider that your brightness level is still 3x mine. Reducing brightness will not eliminate backlight bleed, so don't expect that to go away.

As for saying the monitor is OK, I think you missed my point. I agree that a monitor this expensive shouldn't have a lot of backlight bleed out of the box. I was just replying to johnnystuff who was asking if I could honestly say that the monitor is OK except for the backlight bleed at the top, and since the other corners are normal IPS glow then yes I can say that I think it's otherwise OK as that is normal for this monitor. The backlight bleed, if it detracts from your experience, is not OK.

And I wasn't saying that I knew what your monitor looks like in person; that's silly. I was saying that I own one and therefore I know what it is supposed to look like in person; i.e. I know what the IPS glow looks like and that it is NOT backlight bleed like some tend to think, and I know that your pic isn't an accurate representation because the brightness and glow are more exaggerated in the pic than in real life. Not saying they're not there, just that it's nowhere near that bad. I wish that I could take a more accurate pic to show the difference but like you, my camera is an iPhone 6 so I wouldn't expect a noticeable difference. :)

Hope that clarifies things.

Here's a better pic, taken with a camera on the manual setting:

vH0VgTI.jpg

And from the angle:

yDpepDQ.jpg

This was set to 1 second on the shutter speed, and looks a lot like what I see visibly. Obviously the IPS glow is on the bottom, not sure why the left looks more yellow than the right, though. Is the bottom right slight backlight bleeding?

Much better! HUGE difference there. Yes, that is a much more realistic representation of what it looks like in person.

About the bottom right, honestly it's hard for me to tell if that's BLB or just normal corner glow. Does it change or go away if you press on the bezel in that area? I had very light BLB at the top where yours is, and when I lightly pinched the bezel between my thumb and forefinger and slid them from the middle of the monitor to the right corner, that light disappeared as my fingers passed by and pressed on that area.

Man, I love the LG 34um95, but damn, I hate the OSD.

The quick settings are utterly useless. I never use Reader mode (f.lux works enough for me), and the PBP is nearly useless. Let me switch inputs with a quick setting instead of having me drill through the menu to do it.

It's nice when the input menu shows up when there's no signal, but it should stay that way, IMO.

all these complaints on the OSD. unless you're switching inputs multiples times a day, it's set it and forget it. quit being a bunch of fucking weirdos and complaining about shit you'll use twice.

all these complaints on the OSD. unless you're switching inputs multiples times a day, it's set it and forget it. quit being a bunch of fucking weirdos and complaining about shit you'll use twice.

So... using multiple inputs on your monitor and switching them on a fairly regular basis is being a weirdo? Got it.

I've got my PC on displayport, mac mini on thunderbolt, and game consoles on hdmi (fed through a matrix switcher, so they also go to my tv at the same time). It's not inconceivable that people like to switch inputs from time to time.

Normally I don't care about OSD navigation, because it's not something you do often, and source switching on a multi input monitor is typically not an issue, since on most monitors it's relegated to a dedicated button on the bezel. But LG omitted that and used the joystick. It should've been one of the default options on the quick menu, period.

Last edited:
i will be switching between my MBP and my gaming PC. i'll be swapping cables to do it. maybe work on getting a TV or some shit. there is a solution to your whining. get another screen and don't switch inputs. or swap cables. either way, stop whining.

"THE OSD IS AWFUL."

good to know. stop using it.

^^ Wtf kind of shit advice is that? :rolleyes:

The upcoming Dell u3415w looks nicely suited for multiple input PIP/PBP and switching..

wTEu69S.jpg

BLOS1JX.jpg

i will be switching between my MBP and my gaming PC. i'll be swapping cables to do it. maybe work on getting a TV or some shit. there is a solution to your whining. get another screen and don't switch inputs. or swap cables. either way, stop whining.

"THE OSD IS AWFUL."

What absolutely stupid advice.

"THE OSD IS AWFUL."

WTF dude? Got stick in your ass or something?

I've already mentioned, my HDMI devices already go through a matrix switch to both a TV and the monitor. Depending on the situation I rather use the monitor instead of the TV.

Switching cables is absolutely stupid, especially if you're doing it between a mac and PC on a 34um95 with the thunderbolt.

I'm just curious as to what I said that offends you so much to illicit that response. There hasn't been that much "hate" for the osd (honestly, I haven't kept up, so i wouldn't know).

But whatever, guy. I'm a weirdo who just can't stop whining. Got it, good to know.

^^ Wtf kind of shit advice is that? :rolleyes:

The upcoming Dell u3415w looks nicely suited for multiple input PIP/PBP and switching..

wTEu69S.jpg

BLOS1JX.jpg

Hmm, interesting. At least you're not forced to use thunderbolt for kvm switching.

Samsung S34E790C curved 34" ultrawide now available for pre-order in the UK..

87LxwvJ.jpg

ETA is Dec. 12 for £996 w/VAT (£830 without; ~$1300 USD converted, and only $6 cheaper than the UC97 from the same shop)

http://fudzilla.com/home/item/36325-samsung%E2%80%99s-curved-34-inch-1440p-monitor-up-for-pre-order

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-211-SA

______

I'm not sure why, but for some reason I kept thinking this one was gonna slot in at a lower price than the LG and Dell. At least the added competition in this segment will help.

That Dell looks nice!
Ordering that as soon as it's launched in Europe.
Super exited Dell is finally going to announce the goodies.

Interesting, that Samsung S34E790C (£830(w/o VAT)=$1230(correction:$1298) has a VA panel which; if Samsung engineered it right, should have better response performance for gaming versus the IPS panels (video/photo editing) of the Dell/LG/AOC.

Last edited:
Interesting, that Samsung S34E790C (£830=$1230) has a VA panel which; if Samsung engineered it right, should have better response performance for gaming versus the IPS panels (video/photo editing) of the Dell/LG/AOC.

Why so? VA panels are slower, not faster. :confused: I love them, I really do, but responsiveness is not their strong point. Don't be fooled by manufacturer specs.

my mistake, you're right about this, my misunderstanding was that VA panels (MVA/PVA) were specifically developed to sit between TN and IPS panels in terms of responsiveness (black-tone-white, ghosting, contrast, gamut), i'm wrong, thanks for clarifying.

Last edited:
I just sent my 95 back to Newegg, couldn't deal with the bleed any longer.
Hopefully they take the RMA and get it back to me asap.

Interesting, that Samsung S34E790C (£830=$1230) ....
Watch out, it's 999£ ;)

Also, afaik there are only 200 in preorder but that's just a sort of gift by samsung to that seller, being the official release on January 2015. Guess the price won't change by then tho. Eager to see a full review on that one.

Going to order one once they are Dell USA. Have a $200 gift card to use with it.

yeah, goofed twice early this morning about VA panel performance and £ to $ conversion, think i'll just keep lurking instead of commenting for awhile..:)

Anyone here experiencing stuttering while recording 60 fps 21:9-material via Shadowplay? It never drops below 60 fps in BF4 but the video Shadowplay produces is not as smooth as it could be.

If i switch to my 27" 2560x1440 monitor or my 27" 1920x1080 and record BF4 the result is buttery smooth, but with my LG UM95 34" 3440x1440 the video result is stuttery/judder/jittery.

It's harder to see via Youtube, but here's two examples where the only difference is the resolution.

Video #1 - 1920x1080x60fps - 50 Mbit Bitrate source - Smooth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIRSw9HknK8

Video #2 - 3440x1440x60fps - 50 Mbit Bitrate source - Jerky/Jidder/Judder & Frame skips? :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UD_inu3MPV8

I've tried Bandicam and using NVENC through it produces a better result, but not optimal. Mirillis Action! produces a smooth result, but is capped at 1080p if you use NVENC.

The NVENC hardware encoder in Maxwell-era GPUs is supposed to support up to 2160p60 recordings which is far higher than the resolution i play at, so i'm not sure where the culprit is, i'm thinking software or optimization of NVENC or so.

Back