34" 720p CRT? Do they exist?

fugu

[H]F Junkie
Are there any 34" CRTs that display 720p without converting it to 1080i?

Not at the consumer end. The timing of the gun(s) in CRTs would have to be very tight in order to show a progressive frame at 1280x720. That's why you get either 480p or 1080i...

Darn. I figured if they could make a 21" CRT computer monitor that does 1600x1200@85Hz, they'd be able to do a bigger one at a lower res.

fugu said:
Darn. I figured if they could make a 21" CRT computer monitor that does 1600x1200@85Hz, they'd be able to do a bigger one at a lower res.
yes we are all impatiently awaiting SED to begin production :D

SJetski71 said:
yes we are all impatiently awaiting SED to begin production :D

Sweet! I'll take 2. No- 3; one for the bedroom- already have a DLP in the living room :D.

fugu said:
I hear yah buddy, I would love to have a CRT rear projection set that does 720p. Unfortunately one would be priced to the moon and wouldn't sell well for the vendor who develops it...

Technically there is not limitation in the actual CRT tube that causes there not to be 720p sets. Its the fact that it is more expensive to have different sets of electronics for the various scan frequencies. Its cheapers to produce 1 set of electronics that can do 540p/1080i and thats why alot of TV's only support those resolutions.

I can't wait for SED to come out.

I own that TV linked by stg, cept mine is the 32" version with the vision box. You can get em dirt cheap direct from the mfg. Who by the way is Albatron (You might know them for doing video cards and other things)

Cheaper than $1999 for sure.
www.monivision.com - Go and e-mail the e-mail address linked in the used / refurbed area. They are refurbs that include a 1 year warranty and you can extend them to 2 years on site. I got a 2 year with mine and I never needed it one time.

I got mine off an AVS Forum deal for $1195 with the vision box ($200 add on at the time) + $180 shipping.

Killer deal, and the most beautiful image your heart can imagine. Its not "flat" but you don't even notice it. I feed HD signals to it from a MyHD MD-120 and satellite signals from a Twinhan 1020 card. Both look great. Trust me on this, if you buy it, get the Visionbox, it has Direct 15 pin VGA input then, and the image quality is hard on good. It also includes Component, S-Video and Composite inputs on the vision box. But the Composite are horrible, don't use them. Use the 15 pin VGA, the Component and the S-Video.

800 x 600 @ 60Hz is easy to read from 6-8 ft away, 1024 x 768 is a little more difficult cause my eyes suck. Gaming on it is a trip also.

I've owned mine for about 2-3 years now, trust me, you can't go wrong. I bought it blindly w/o seeing a picture and just reading reviews on it, and everyone that owns one (myself included) swears by them. Period.

Back